2014-2015 NBA thread

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 02:54 PM)
Since it was me, and Quinavry to a certain extent, that were arguing with Steve and TRU, I just want to be clear in what I believe. Of course if you put LeBron on the current Cavs team, and if you include Love, that means they most likely won't have Wiggins because I read that the TWolves would ask for Wigs, they would be contenders right away, but I don't believe they would be unbeatable. They would be a very young team with no playoff experience and a coach with zero NBA experience.

When LeBron went to Miami, he had a FMVP in Wade and another All Star player in Bosh, and they were surrounded by vets. The whole thing was supervised by Riley, the situation in Cleveland is a whole lot different. They don't have that kind of championship experience.

That's the reason I said it would take the Cavs a year or two before they become unbeatable if their younger guys mature and turn out to be the players they're projected to be. I wouldn't trade Wiggins for Love to be honest, it could be just a rental and I really do think Wiggins is going to be a star in this league. It takes a team to win, the Cavs will flourish with today's greatest player but I'm not buying the notion that they can't be beaten in their first year or two together, especially considering the franchise, coach and youth of their team. Somehow that get's translated as having a venemous hate towards LeBron though when I never even questioned his status of today's greatest player, it's his team and coach I'm questioning. After all, it does take a team effort to win.

They wouldn't be a lock to win the Finals. A seasoned team like the Spurs and a coach with experience like Pop will destroy them in the Finals.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do, it's not like they are comparing sales vs. camp counselor. They are basketball players, their contracts are largely the same compared to other sports, and they in general know what a basketball team is.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 02:50 PM)
Did Sheridan ever give a time? I just remember him saying it'd be on the website before he goes to Brazil.

It was either 5 or 6 yesterday, which was right in the middle of his meeting with Riley. Today he said he told Riley he was out of there last night and Riley tried to tell him the Cavs weren't a stable franchise, had a meddling owner and change coaches and GMs frequently.

So he was given at least some lies.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 03:25 PM)
Tens of millions of dollars and the future of your career?

Both guys are getting the max (or will demand the max). The money is no secret. And yes, it's a decision, but Christ it's not a life changing one. And it's not like they haven't had time the last couple of months to think about it, Melo especially.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 01:29 PM)
It was either 5 or 6 yesterday, which was right in the middle of his meeting with Riley. Today he said he told Riley he was out of there last night and Riley tried to tell him the Cavs weren't a stable franchise, had a meddling owner and change coaches and GMs frequently.

So he was given at least some lies.

Technically speaking, if that is what Riley said...it is 100% true.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 01:31 PM)
Both guys are getting the max (or will demand the max). The money is no secret. And yes, it's a decision, but Christ it's not a life changing one. And it's not like they haven't had time the last couple of months to think about it, Melo especially.

Technically if NY won't S&T and Melo is debating between NY / Chicago, there are a lot of things to think about. I realize we all think oh these are big dollars whats it matter, but if you took the % on pay and reflected it on you or I's pay, it would matter and while they make a lot more, it still matters to them and rightfully so.

Another random aside, if Bulls were unable to do a S&T and instead traded Taj (and then got Pau), and offered the same offer the Lakers have on the table, the offer for the first 4 years would actually be more then the Knicks could offer due to the taxes in NY (including NYC tax).

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 03:27 PM)
I have a feeling Melo's delay has to do with somebody making moves

I can somewhat understand Melo. IMO he's waiting on Lebron. If Lebron does the Miami short term deal, he goes to NY because the possibility of playing with Lebron in one or two years is still an option. If Lebron goes to Cleveland that becomes a pipe dream, so maybe Melo goes elsewhere.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 01:34 PM)
I can somewhat understand Melo. IMO he's waiting on Lebron. If Lebron does the Miami short term deal, he goes to NY because the possibility of playing with Lebron in one or two years is still an option. If Lebron goes to Cleveland that becomes a pipe dream, so maybe Melo goes elsewhere.

Lebron probably laid low initially to allow Melo to make moves. Now he's making his mind and really hasn't taken that much time (from when he started the process). I wonder if his big focus is waiting around to see if Cavs can do something to help him get another star. Isn't that what stopped him from going to Cleveland in the first place, he couldn't find a way to convince other stars to come there to help him? I guess it is a moot point if he buys into Wiggins / Kyrie, with Kyrie obviously being pretty proven, although a guy with some attitude issues.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 03:33 PM)
Technically if NY won't S&T and Melo is debating between NY / Chicago, there are a lot of things to think about. I realize we all think oh these are big dollars whats it matter, but if you took the % on pay and reflected it on you or I's pay, it would matter and while they make a lot more, it still matters to them and rightfully so.

It's 60 million. There's nothing to think about. 99.99% of people would go back, and he should. If he ends up back in New York and Lebron goes to Cleveland, this was all for show. There's no good reason for the decision to take this long.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 03:27 PM)
I do, it's not like they are comparing sales vs. camp counselor. They are basketball players, their contracts are largely the same compared to other sports, and they in general know what a basketball team is.

Isn't Melo having to consider a difference of tens of millions of dollars between NY and other teams?

They also need to consider what roster those teams can build and what the other FA's might be doing if they really do care about contending for a championship.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 01:37 PM)
It's 60 million. There's nothing to think about. 99.99% of people would go back, and he should. If he ends up back in New York and Lebron goes to Cleveland, this was all for show. There's no good reason for the decision to take this long.

He is either waiting for LBJ as it could impact where he ultimately goes or he's seeing if there could be a S&T angle worked to make the money not so much of a difference. That could be why this continues to drag out.