2014-2015 NBA thread

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 01:13 PM)
We have a supporting cast that does one thing well: play defense.

That's great and all, but we also need people to score.

Which is why mirotic, Gasol, and mcdermott were added. Not to mention we might add more pieces. People are overreacting. Melo would have obviously made the bulls better, but the world isn't ending.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 01:17 PM)
Which is why mirotic, Gasol, and mcdermott were added. Not to mention we might add more pieces. People are overreacting. Melo would have obviously made the bulls better, but the world isn't ending.

One guy is 34 and the other two are unproven prospects.

For once, I just want the sure thing.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 02:17 PM)

The world isn't ending and the Bulls aren't winning. Just as in previous years.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 01:17 PM)

This

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 01:21 PM)
The world isn't ending and the Bulls aren't winning. Just as in previous years.

When rose gets hurt you will be correct. Until then it's just speculation. Lebron made the finals one time in his career without wade and bosh. The east is terrible. If you get to the finals anything can happen.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 12:59 PM)
If those reports were true and Bulls can offer Melo close to the max through a S&T, then shame on Phil for not making the better basketball decision by doing the S&T to clear up cap space and rebuild.

Signing Melo for $25 mil a year when you have no young talent and draft picks build around is not going build you a winner.

Phil supposedly "Has a plan", and I'm sure that "plan" included Melo. If he really thinks he can put together a championship team in a year or 2 then there's no reason for him to entertain a sign and trade.

It blows...but s*** happens.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 01:23 PM)
When rose gets hurt you will be correct. Until then it's just speculation. Lebron made the finals one time in his career without wade and bosh. The east is terrible. If you get to the finals anything can happen.

Put Irving on the Cavs from '08-'10 and they win at least one ring. LeBron by himself is worth about 35 wins. LeBron/Irving is 50 easy. And Cleveland is not close to being done. The Bulls had a chance to finally leap to the top of the conference and they blew it once again.

Again no one is saying GarPax shouldn't have some role within the Bulls front office, it just should not be as the General Manager. They are terrific scouts, but they cannot get major deals done either for free agents or in trades.

They are like salespeople who cannot close the big deal each and every time they are presented with a good lead. Yeah, a lot of times the circumstances are not in your favor, but the best salespeople can work around that, get creative and be persuasive.

I am just sick of hearing the "they did everything they could" rationale. In the end, it's not how hard you tried, but what are the results.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 01:40 PM)
Put Irving on the Cavs from '08-'10 and they win at least one ring. LeBron by himself is worth about 35 wins. LeBron/Irving is 50 easy. And Cleveland is not close to being done. The Bulls had a chance to finally leap to the top of the conference and they blew it once again.

Yeah. Add Kyrie Irving to that 66 win team in 09 and they win at least 75-80, right? I love hypothetical situations.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 12:59 PM)
This isn't on garpax. How much worse would this be if they gutted the team to offer him the max and he still said no?

Melo took the money you can't blame him or the front office. Blame the CBA if you need a scape goat.

It isn't, and it is. If Phil or Riley were running the Bulls,, under the same circumstances, I bet they get Melo. It is pretty rare a guy like Melo changes teams in the NBA through free agency, but if the Bulls are going to throw personalities like Krause, and Gar/Pax at these guys, they probably shouldn't even bother. Work on trades and the draft. Unless you have a bigger name inspiring guys when they visit, you wind up with the consolation prize.

That said, assuming they stay healthy, this is going to be probably the Best Bulls team since Michael left. If they add another shooter, I see no reason they can't compete for the comference championship.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 01:46 PM)
It isn't, and it is. If Phil or Riley were running the Bulls,, under the same circumstances, I bet they get Melo. It is pretty rare a guy like Melo changes teams in the NBA through free agency, but if the Bulls are going to throw personalities like Krause, and Gar/Pax at these guys, they probably shouldn't even bother. Work on trades and the draft. Unless you have a bigger name inspiring guys when they visit, you wind up with the consolation prize.

That said, assuming they stay healthy, this is going to be probably the Best Bulls team since Michael left. If they add another shooter, I see no reason they can't compete for the comference championship.

The guy who just lost Lebron?

Agreed with the 2nd part of the post though.

If everyone stays healthy, which is always a key, this is still a team that could make a lot of noise.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 01:41 PM)
Doug McDermott is gonna be a boss anyway....

Says the guy who doesn't watch college basketball.

I'm done giving GarPax a pass. Nobody knows what went on behind the scenes but I do know this isn't a championship team and their entire body of work deserves to get scrutinized.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 01:57 PM)
The guy who just lost Lebron?

Agreed with the 2nd part of the post though.

If everyone stays healthy, which is always a key, this is still a team that could make a lot of noise.

Riley got LeBron as well. The fact is Melo went to a worse team with a worse future. I laugh at Knicks fans who actually think Phil will have this team ready to compete for a championship in a year.

People use the excuse Chicago can't compete with NY or LA . Yet the guy who probably has made the most money playing basketball, and the woman who has made the most money in the entertainment industry the past 25 years or so, MJ and Oprah, did so based in Chicago.

Edited by Dick Allen

I can't believe my eyes right now. Let me get this straight. This is supposedly a great team (the best since Michael) even though Rose has played 10 games in the last three years, have a guy (they still haven't signed) in Mirotic that may or may not be the next Toni Kukoc, an Adam Morrison clone, and a 34-year old Gasol? Only in Chicago is this acceptable. We needed a SCORER. Why? Because WE CAN'T SCORE. 2+2=4. They failed again. #tryhard

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 02:07 PM)
I can't believe my eyes right now. Let me get this straight. This is supposedly a great team (the best since Michael) even though Rose has played 10 games in the last three years, have a guy (they still haven't signed) in Mirotic that may or may not be the next Toni Kukoc, an Adam Morrison clone, and a 34-year old Gasol? Only in Chicago is this acceptable. We needed a SCORER. Why? Because WE CAN'T SCORE. 2+2=4. They failed again. #tryhard

I agree with your premise but the McDermott-Morrison comparison is a bad one and that's coming from someone who is very torn on the guy at the moment. But their games are very different.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 02:07 PM)

Again health was mentioned. Rose is a pretty good player when healthy. Fraschilla said if Mirotic was in this draft, he would have been top 4. McDermott was a lottery pick and a guy who the Bulls think was the best shooter in the draft. And Gasol got 17 and 10 last year. He isn't quite a stiff yet. They get another scorer, they who in the east is clearly better then them?

Granted they didn't add Beasley or Oden. You know, real talent.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 02:02 PM)
Says the guy who doesn't watch college basketball.

I'm done giving GarPax a pass. Nobody knows what went on behind the scenes but I do know this isn't a championship team and their entire body of work deserves to get scrutinized.

I've watched enough "film" on him to think he'll at least be better than Dunleavy....Obviously calling him a "boss" is a joke, but I see no reason why he can't have a nice long NBA career.

If you dont wanna give Melo a pass that's fine, we all are entitled to an opinion. IMO the Bulls did all they could. 12 hour meeting, got Rose/Noah/Taj/Thibs to recruit, supposedly lined up deals to clear money for Melo, put that mans picture all over the UC, took that man out to dinner.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 02:09 PM)
I agree with your premise but the McDermott-Morrison comparison is a bad one and that's coming from someone who is very torn on the guy at the moment. But their games are very different.

Yup McDermott does a lot more than Morrison. Morrison did nothing well except shoot 3s in college. McDermott has a lot more to his game.

I still think the bulls are set up better than most teams in the league. Clearly over and over and over we hear they're the best situation you can go to if you want to win. In 2010 that was already decided and there was nothing they could do about it. This year melo choose the money like the majority of people would have done. Chris Bosh just did it yesterday.

Cannot blame the front office for this. We'll see if they change their philosophy now and try to get talent through trades since the FA thing is hard.