2014-2015 NBA thread

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 02:12 PM)
I've watched enough "film" on him to think he'll at least be better than Dunleavy....Obviously calling him a "boss" is a joke, but I see no reason why he can't have a nice long NBA career.

If you dont wanna give Melo a pass that's fine, we all are entitled to an opinion. IMO the Bulls did all they could. 12 hour meeting, got Rose/Noah/Taj/Thibs to recruit, supposedly lined up deals to clear money for Melo, put that mans picture all over the UC, took that man out to dinner.

Free agency is like college basketball recruiting. You either get it done or you don't. Bruce Weber loses a 5 star to Kansas, you understand, say he did what he can do. If it happens every time, and he always winds up with a 3 star guy, you eventually have to either accept that is how it is going to be or make a change. We will see how this plays out. No excuses. If they bow it in the first couple rounds of the playoffs, IMO Gar/Pax needs to move along.

If the Bulls had space for a max contract next summer and Durant was going to be a free agent, is there anyone here that really thinks Gar/Pax gets it done?

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 02:19 PM)
Yup McDermott does a lot more than Morrison. Morrison did nothing well except shoot 3s in college. McDermott has a lot more to his game.

You're way off. I do think McDermott has a better career than Morrison though due to his shooting,

Edited by Boogua

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 02:11 PM)
Again health was mentioned. Rose is a pretty good player when healthy. Fraschilla said if Mirotic was in this draft, he would have been top 4. McDermott was a lottery pick and a guy who the Bulls think was the best shooter in the draft. And Gasol got 17 and 10 last year. He isn't quite a stiff yet. They get another scorer, they who in the east is clearly better then them?

Granted they didn't add Beasley or Oden. You know, real talent.

Ouch.

I say the Bulls make a trade for either one of those guys just to make J4L happy, lol

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 02:20 PM)
Free agency is like college basketball recruiting. You either get it done or you don't. Bruce Weber loses a 5 star to Kansas, you understand, say he did what he can do. If it happens every time, and he always winds up with a 3 star guy, you eventually have to either accept that is how it is going to be or make a change. We will see how this plays out. No excuses. If they bow it in the first couple rounds of the playoffs, IMO Gar/Pax needs to move along.

If the Bulls had space for a max contract next summer and Durant was going to be a free agent, is there anyone here that really thinks Gar/Pax gets it done?

I just don't see what a different GM could have done differently. I'm sure they covered every base in their 12 hour meeting or however long it was..Guess I'm just missing something, or maybe I'm too "close minded".

If you want guarantees, you're not going to get them. It was guaranteed the Big Three would never lose a title. It was guaranteed they'd win the Finals last year once they got past the Spurs in 2013. It was guaranteed the Bulls would win an NBA championship in 94-95 until our star played baseball instead.

You're playing the lottery and demanding profits. We've got decent odds. Only in the NBA do people have weird expectations like this. Do people want to fire Hahn unless he wins a World Series? Should Virginia McCaskey sell the Bears since they haven't gotten a title in 30 years?

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 02:33 PM)
I just don't see what a different GM could have done differently. I'm sure they covered every base in their 12 hour meeting or however long it was..Guess I'm just missing something, or maybe I'm too "close minded".

I am sure they covered every base, but they couldn't close the sale. There were several other teams that failed as well, but this is a pattern. So you either have to really re-think putting much hope of signing this type of player, or hire someone who can get it done. If Phil was running the Bulls and Gar/Pax the Knicks, do you think Melo makes the same choice? It is possible, maybe even probable, but i think he would have been a Bull. I know it is easy for me to say that now, and Gar/Pax were probably set up to fail, but fail they did. You don't get paid for effort. You get paid for results.

I knew this was gonna happen when MarshMelo was 'anguishing' where to go, riiiight. Now everyone is upset that GarPax couldn't seal the deal. There never was a deal to close, I can't believe people fell for his dog and pony show.

The guy loves NY and getting paid, not hating him for that. What bothers me is he put on this "it's not about the money, it's about winning" facade and alot of us took it hook, line and sinker. And I don't want to hear this crap about PJax not letting Melo go by refusing a S & T, that's some naive BS, Melo cried his way out of Denver, if he really was set on leaving NY, he and his people would've figured out a way. PJax would've done a deal to get some assets in return but he knew it was never coming down to that. This long waiting period for his 'decision' was to make folks believe he had doubts, riiiight. So yeah, let's keep on blaming the FO.

BTW, don't know if it's true or not but I kept hearing that Phil never even really wanted Melo that much but Dolan loves him and in no way wanted to lose him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 02:50 PM)
I am sure they covered every base, but they couldn't close the sale. There were several other teams that failed as well, but this is a pattern. So you either have to really re-think putting much hope of signing this type of player, or hire someone who can get it done. If Phil was running the Bulls and Gar/Pax the Knicks, do you think Melo makes the same choice? It is possible, maybe even probable, but i think he would have been a Bull. I know it is easy for me to say that now, and Gar/Pax were probably set up to fail, but fail they did. You don't get paid for effort. You get paid for results.

Absolutely. To me Melo staying in NY HAS to be about the $$....That too is easy for me to say though as well. All we can do is specualate at this point. People can have their opinions, IMO in 2010 Lebron/Bosh/Wade had already had it planned to play together and cap wise the Bulls couldn't make that happen. This year I think Melo is all about his $$ like we've heard from day 1.

That's just my opinion, and opinions are all we have, there are no facts out there.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 02:57 PM)
Absolutely. To me Melo staying in NY HAS to be about the $$....That too is easy for me to say though as well. All we can do is specualate at this point. People can have their opinions, IMO in 2010 Lebron/Bosh/Wade had already had it planned to play together and cap wise the Bulls couldn't make that happen. This year I think Melo is all about his $$ like we've heard from day 1.

That's just my opinion, and opinions are all we have, there are no facts out there.

I just hope they end the BS of making moves or refusing to make moves so they have cap space the next time there is a decent free agent class. They have proven that doesn't work.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 07:33 PM)

For the last years we have been hearing that the conservative moves of the Bulls was because they wanted "flexibility" for major additions in the 2014 offseason. The 2014 plan was touted by KC Johnson.

That's fine if you are going to do that.

Going into the 2014 offseason Kevin Love and Carmelo Anthony may be available to switch teams.

The Bulls made an unserious offer for Love, and then we were told were instead going to focus on Anthony.

The Bulls entered the offseason with 2 first round draft picks and a possible amnesty for Carlos Boozer. Rather than try to spin the picks off as assets, they traded both for potential backup SF Doug McDermott, and took on 2 million in the process. They, knowing Anthony would already require a discount to sign at the BUlls, added salary and used their only other assets to draft Doug Mcdermott, unathletic non-secondballhandler.

They then courted Anthony without offering any money, because they were so tramautized from trading Kirk Hinrich the first time, and did not bother actually opening any salary room for Anthony. He left Chicago without a max offer. Or any offer actually. He was told to trust Bulls management.

They then had plan Bs, which did not involve Kevin Love, whom is now being aggressively targeted by other teams who don't overvalue their assets. Their plan involved a 34 year old powerforward/backupC. I love Gasol, but that was not what was holding bulls back.

Meanwhile we'll probably re-sign kirk, call it an offseason.

It's fine that they made all these moves to preserve the possibility to get Anthony in 2014, but they aren't just responsible for not getting Anthony. They are responsible for all the other moves they didn't make because they decided that free agency is the way for the bulls to add a superstar. And that they will try to add them not by opening up max space, but by convincing them tehy are a great fit.

It sounds convincing, doesn't it?

At least they can convince us all that it isn't their fault. It's the players.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 09:54 PM)
So how did Bulls get Gasol? S&T ? Boozer still on the team?

rumor is he'll sign for bulls straight up for 6.5 or get s&t for 9.5 using some bulls assets we don't know which ones.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 04:45 PM)
For the last years we have been hearing that the conservative moves of the Bulls was because they wanted "flexibility" for major additions in the 2014 offseason. The 2014 plan was touted by KC Johnson.

Going into the 2014 offseason Kevin Love and Carmelo Anthony may be available to switch teams.

The Bulls made an unserious offer for Love, and then we were told were instead going to focus on Anthony.

The Bulls entered the offseason with 2 first round draft picks and a possible amnesty for Carlos Boozer. Rather than try to spin the picks off as assets, they traded both for potential backup SF Doug McDermott, and took on 2 million in the process. They, knowing Anthony would already require a discount to sign at the BUlls, added salary and used their only other assets to draft Doug Mcdermott, unathletic non-secondballhandler.

They then courted Anthony without offering any money, because they were so tramautized from trading Kirk Hinrich the first time, and did not bother actually opening any salary room for Anthony. He left Chicago without a max offer. Or any offer actually. He was told to trust Bulls management.

They then had plan Bs, which did not involve Kevin Love, whom is now being aggressively targeted by other teams who don't overvalue their assets. Their plan involved a 34 year old powerforward/backupC. I love Gasol, but that was not what was holding bulls back.

It's fine that they made all these moves to preserve the possibility to get Anthony in 2014, but they aren't just responsible for not getting Anthony. They are responsible for all the other moves they didn't make because they decided that free agency is the way for the bulls to add a superstar. And that they will try to add them not by opening up max space, but by convincing them tehy are a great fit.

I love you.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 04:45 PM)

It does seem they think they can parade a star by their 6 trophies and they think that should be good enough to convince them they want to be a Bull. Nevermind the reason those trophies are there is basically one player who was acquired before anyone parading these plyers through had anything to do with the Bulls.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 11:04 PM)
Is Gasol a better defender than Boozer? Or tell me why is older Gasol a better option than Boozer?

Come on, have you ever watched Gasol play? He is a beautiful passer, can hit an open shot, and has excellent post moves. Peak Gasol is when he's playing on spanish national team surrounded by shooters, ball goes into him and he dissects the defense apart. He was, was, unbelievable. HE's not great defensively but he's not horrendously stupid on rotations like Boozer.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Jul 12, 2014 -> 05:04 PM)
Is Gasol a better defender than Boozer? Or tell me why is older Gasol a better option than Boozer?

Watching Lakers last year he had totally phoned it in last year defensively to Boozers level. But yeah that was a bad Lakers team going nowhere so I wouldn't expect that.