2014-2015 NBA thread

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 05:52 PM)
3 years, $17 million

I'll take it.

I watched Mirotic's scouting video a few days back. Obviously a great shooter, has the ability to go inside as well. Only real knock against him was his strength.

Edited by chw42

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 05:59 PM)
Dunleavy...or Jimmy if we are allowed to simulate summer league snell for real games, like a handicap.

I don't know how you could fault DJ, this could be his best shot s&t big payday.

Maybe would like Brooks as Pg at min. Or trade Jimmy for Dragic, two pg backcourt

But they would never.

They as in the Bulls or they as in the Suns? Not sure why the Suns would do that.

Hypothetically, you can play Mirotic at the 3. Not sure if he has the lateral quickness to guard smaller wings though. But his length would be great at the position.

Gallinari is the same height and he's always played SF.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 12:11 AM)
They as in the Bulls or they as in the Suns? Not sure why the Suns would do that.

The suns. I don't know either. I'm just grasping for something to dream about. 3 way trade for rondo to suns, Dragic to bulls, and Ainge just does us a solid and sacrifices Kirk to the Celtic gods.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 06:16 PM)
The suns. I don't know either. I'm just grasping for something to dream about. 3 way trade for rondo to suns, Dragic to bulls, and Ainge just does us a solid and sacrifices Kirk to the Celtic gods.

At this point, I wouldn't mind someone like Kevin Martin through a trade. Although I doubt that would happen.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 11:14 PM)
Hypothetically, you can play Mirotic at the 3. Not sure if he has the lateral quickness to guard smaller wings though. But his length would be great at the position.

Against certain match ups, sure, but I don't see him as a consistent starter at the 3

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 06:14 PM)

Gallinari is the same height and he's always played SF.

No, you can't. Not sure what video you saw. Mirotic doesn't have close to the quickness athleticism to match-up with nba wings.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 06:28 PM)
No, you can't. Not sure what video you saw. Mirotic doesn't have close to the quickness athleticism to match-up with nba wings.

If you can play McDermott at the 3, you can play Mirotic at the 3. It's not a good idea though.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 06:32 PM)
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Nikola-Mirotic-5134/

This was a nice silver lining to the day. Love that he hustles so hard and tries on D. I feel like his strength will improve with US weight room...? Does that sound reasonable?

Maybe. It's not like Spain is a third world country or anything though. He played on one of the best teams in Europe. I'm sure they have strength programs.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 11:33 PM)
Maybe. It's not like Spain is a third world country or anything though. He played on one of the best teams in Europe. I'm sure they have strength programs.

Haha not saying that, just not sure they put the priority on strength training the way US bball does.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 05:57 PM)
I hope DJ realizes that the Bulls basically saved his career and that he'd fit in way better in our system than anywhere else.

It really depends on the type of person he is.

The other way to think about it is that if he has a legit, couple million dollar offer from someone else, he ought to take that and run with it.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 06:35 PM)
Haha not saying that, just not sure they put the priority on strength training the way US bball does.

If you put it that way, maybe. Strength doesn't seem like a huge priority in European basketball. It's much more about skill, especially shooting.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 06:35 PM)
The other way to think about it is that if he has a legit, couple million dollar offer from someone else, he ought to take that and run with it.

Perhaps. He has talent, obviously.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 06:42 PM)
Thibs defensive system will definitely be put to the test. I see a lot of defensive liabilities up and down the roster.

Carlos Boozer?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 06:51 PM)
You want the offense to improve without the defense takin' a hit. We got six white dudes. None of which are known for their defensive prowess.

Gasol is better offensively than Boozer and he definitely can't be worse defensively.

Dunleavy is more or less average defensively (good length).

Just because they're white doesn't mean they can't fit into the system.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 06:53 PM)
Gasol is better offensively than Boozer and he definitely can't be worse defensively.

Dunleavy is more or less average defensively (good length).

Just because they're white doesn't mean they can't fit into the system.

I didn't say they couldn't. I just think it'll be a test for thibs. You need a top 10 offensive/defensive ranking to win a title in this league. Does no good to improve offensively if your d falls off.

Edited by Jordan4life

Salary wise, the Bulls are more or less capped out.

They're currently at $47.48 million if they amnesty Boozer and trade away Greg Smith (to Dallas).

Mirotic will be paid $5.66 million this year, assuming his salary is the same all 3 years. If Hinrich took slightly more than the veteran's minimum, that's probably around $2 million a year. That brings us to $55.14 million.

Gasol's salary is rumored to be around $6.5 million, which would bring us to $61.64 million. I imagine if they don't have anyone else to sign, they'll just give Gasol a bit more money than the $6.5 million figure (perhaps $7 million). You really can't do much with $1.5 million. Add in McDermott and Bairstow (around $2.5 million combined) and the Bulls are over the cap.

So unless the FO can pull off some trades, this will be the roster next year. :(

Edited by chw42