2014-2015 NBA thread

And he's white, so they are the same player.

These Adam Morrison comparisons have to stop. If McDermott fails, the fact that Adam Morrison failed too has nothing to do with his career.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 10:20 AM)
You keep harping on McDermott. Its kind of funny because I was one of the few who talked about him BEFORE the draft. Hes a nice player, the problem is, he isnt an ideal SF and cant play SG. So you add Gasol, Mirotic and McDermott, but you still didnt add anyone who can play SF/SG and create with the ball.

Its not about the player, its the fit. As I before the Bulls drafted, said that McDermott would be good on the right team. He still can be good, the Bulls just needed something else and given the additions of Gasol/Mirotic its even more clear that a SG/SG and a PG were more important.

Huh? McDermott to the Bulls was no secret. It was well known they wanted to trade up to grab either him or Stauskas.

And who cares if he's not ideal. He shoots the ball incredibly well. That's what's important for a team that was awful last year at shooting.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 11:24 AM)
And he's white, so they are the same player.

These Adam Morrison comparisons have to stop. If McDermott fails, the fact that Adam Morrison failed too has nothing to do with his career.

I didn't bring it up so I'll happily drop it if we can get an equal agreement to not say that the summer league performance proves anything one way or the other.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 10:22 AM)
Butler and Snell can play both positions so with McDermott, it is fine if he just plays the 3.

There is just very little on the ball creativity at that position, Snell is a jump shooter, he isnt going to go iso and take people. Like I said, McDermott is fine, the Bulls just needed to add a slasher type to the mix.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 10:26 AM)
Huh? McDermott to the Bulls was no secret. It was well known they wanted to trade up to grab either him or Stauskas.

And who cares if he's not ideal. He shoots the ball incredibly well. That's what's important for a team that was awful last year at shooting.

Oh Im just pointing out that I had nothing bad to say about McDermott as a player, just that I did not believe (and still dont) that McDermott was an ideal fit for the Bulls, let alone to trade 2 pieces for him.

but once he was drafted by the bulls he might as well be Larry Bird with MJ athleticism on this board. Just hard to have a realistic discussion because the Bulls are always "Championship" contenders.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 10:36 AM)
There is just very little on the ball creativity at that position, Snell is a jump shooter, he isnt going to go iso and take people. Like I said, McDermott is fine, the Bulls just needed to add a slasher type to the mix.

Oh Im just pointing out that I had nothing bad to say about McDermott as a player, just that I did not believe (and still dont) that McDermott was an ideal fit for the Bulls, let alone to trade 2 pieces for him.

but once he was drafted by the bulls he might as well be Larry Bird with MJ athleticism on this board. Just hard to have a realistic discussion because the Bulls are always "Championship" contenders.

If Rose is back anywhere near 100%, the need for a "slasher" is severally overstated. They need guys that can fill the basket.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 10:21 AM)
Sam Smith article indicated Hinrich took less then BAE. No one knows the money situation for certain yet though.

Hinrich got 2.7 million.

At the start of every season since 2010, you don't think this has been true? In the crappy conference they play in?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 10:40 AM)
At the start of every season since 2010, you don't think this has been true? In the crappy conference they play in?

The day Rose tore his ACL they stopped being contenders until Rose proves he can play at close to MVP levels. I know that isnt well received on this board, but since that day they have made it out of the 1st round 1 time.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 11:44 AM)
so - rose sits out, and kirk has one of his 11 injuries a season - who plays guard?

Just a guess - they genuinely think, after Nate Robinson and DJ Augustin, that they can find a 3rd PG off the scrap heap if needed and have him succeed in Thibs's setup.

That might not be wrong either.

Re: Cap, I stand corrected. Team is completely tapped out, can only add vet min contracts. Hinrich apparently turned down a 2 yr 8 M deal to take the Bulls offer. Total salary right now is just below 63.1M. Bulls are significantly below luxury tax threshold, which probably bodes well for a Jimmy Butler extension this year. Luxury tax threshold is 76.8M.

I would expect some sort of trade in the next couple days to secure another back-court player. Not talking someone special but they'll probably use Randolph (and potentially a pick) to get him. They could also dangle Dunleavy, but if they look to move him, we better get someone good, cause I don't want to just let Dunleavy go and rely on our unproven youngsters quite yet.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 10:44 AM)
The day Rose tore his ACL they stopped being contenders until Rose proves he can play at close to MVP levels. I know that isnt well received on this board, but since that day they have made it out of the 1st round 1 time.

But no one has ever said they're a title contender with no Rose or with a crappy version of Rose. All of that talk is contingent on him being back and at 85-90% minimum.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 10:46 AM)
Just a guess - they genuinely think, after Nate Robinson and DJ Augustin, that they can find a 3rd PG off the scrap heap if needed and have him succeed in Thibs's setup.

That might not be wrong either.

And JL3 and Jannero Pargo. Thibs has proved he can plug in scoring guards effortlessly

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 11:02 AM)
But no one has ever said they're a title contender with no Rose or with a crappy version of Rose. All of that talk is contingent on him being back and at 85-90% minimum.

Right, everything on this board is "Rose" colored glasses. When I discuss sports, I like to talk about the good and the bad. So when Im talking about the Bulls, sure its fun to think Rose is going to be MVP, that McDermott can play SF and that there will be 0 injuries or problems.

But what is the point? Why not discuss the real issues that will face the Bulls next year, and that is going to be both guard positions. So I think its an entirely valid line of discussion to ask, why did the Bulls not add any guards, when they added Gasol, McDermott and Mirotic.

It just seems that perhaps the Bulls would have been better off if some of their off-season was spent on obtaining a guard, perhaps a combo who could have played PG/SG.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 09:02 AM)
I actually like Ramon Sessions, that said, he's not on the roster.

MarShon needs to show me somethin'.

They better find a way to get him or someone of that ilk. I just don't know how they get him with their current cap situation. Guy made 5M a season last year. Highly doubt he takes what Bulls can offer, unless we can work a S&T with Randolph, etc, to get him. I think if we do that we can get close to 3.5M for him (under the cap rules), although somewhere I think I saw it might actually be as much as 5M, not sure how that works since Randolph just makes 1.8M). Clearly we'd have to give up a pick or something to entice the Bucks to do it.

In the East, it is hard to argue that a healthy Bulls team isn't in contention to go to the NBA finals. Unless the Cavs land Love, I can't think of anyone who is clearly better.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 09:08 AM)
You were talking about Aaron Brooks, right? I haven't heard MarShon brooks discussed, don't really remember seeing him play at Brooklyn.

I was referring to Aaron, who would be pretty realistic at the vet min.