2014-2015 NBA thread

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 10:20 AM)
There's literally one person on this board comparing Doug to Morrison.

My one buddy, who admittedly doesn't watch college basketball, is doing the same thing. It's obnoxious.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 04:32 PM)
I still don't know exactly what we are getting but he has a lot of raw tools. I'm extremely excited for this season.

That hoopshype article is way terrible, but the draftexpress link I posted a while back is great (all video though).

The Bulls need to get creative here and get some ballers who can put the ball in the basket.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=pa2wc5k

Give them enough picks here to make the move worthwhile on their end. Should leave us within the cap assuming you dump Dunleavy.

Probably unrealistic. Probably cap stupid and wrong. But whatever. I'm too busy at work today to do match. Hell, the trade machine might even be wrong for all I know.

/useless post

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 11:44 AM)
This team reminds me of the 2010-2011 Bulls team on crack if Rose can be healthy.

Being a Bulls fan is like playing the "in bed" game with fortune cookies. Every statement has to end with "if Rose is healthy".

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 05:48 PM)
The Bulls need to get creative here and get some ballers who can put the ball in the basket.

Give them enough picks here to make the move worthwhile on their end. Should leave us within the cap assuming you dump Dunleavy.

Probably unrealistic. Probably cap stupid and wrong. But whatever. I'm too busy at work today to do match. Hell, the trade machine might even be wrong for all I know.

/useless post

You aren't going to get Presti to bite unless you include draft picks galore. At this point Boozer is overpaid by about 11 million, people know he's about to be amnestied, and as we saw last year, the 76ers don't really care that much about coming under the floor. It's not that harsh of a penalty.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 11:48 AM)

/useless post

I doubt the Sixers would trade Wroten.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 09:50 AM)
You aren't going to get Presti to bite unless you include draft picks galore. At this point Boozer is overpaid by about 11 million, people know he's about to be amnestied, and as we saw last year, the 76ers don't really care that much about coming under the floor. It's not that harsh of a penalty.

Technically the penalty is they just allocate whatever $ amount they were under the floor to the rest of the players on the Sixers, so in theory, if adding Boozer somehow helps them (and they get some sort of asset they think is helpful), then they really are getting him for free. Question is whether Boozer is better then someone else. Any dollar they go over the floor, because they added Boozer, impacts them though. I also don't know if that S&T actually works or if the Bulls would then also need to get the Lakers somehow involved too to tie in the Pau signing for it technically to work.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 09:54 AM)
You take the best player off any team, and they are screwed.

We know what the Cavs are without Lebron. I like the fact that we have some young players who should improve and have some nice looking futures. If all things go right, we could win this thing, and that is great. Melo would have been fantastic but I think with Love we'd still have needed Rose (knowing we'd be losing a lot of other assets). Melo was the one shot at being able to contend either way. Now, to win (and even with Love), we need Rose to be healthy and be our best player. I think that can and will happen.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 11:05 AM)
Right, everything on this board is "Rose" colored glasses. When I discuss sports, I like to talk about the good and the bad. So when Im talking about the Bulls, sure its fun to think Rose is going to be MVP, that McDermott can play SF and that there will be 0 injuries or problems.

But what is the point? Why not discuss the real issues that will face the Bulls next year, and that is going to be both guard positions. So I think its an entirely valid line of discussion to ask, why did the Bulls not add any guards, when they added Gasol, McDermott and Mirotic.

It just seems that perhaps the Bulls would have been better off if some of their off-season was spent on obtaining a guard, perhaps a combo who could have played PG/SG.

Better off how? If the goal is to win a championship, with this roster, the only hope is that Rose is good again. You have to go for broke here, not plan for contingencies. If Rose is hurt again or isn't himself, it doesn't matter what player they could have drafted or signed because they're not going to win. McDermott at least gives you the best ceiling if Rose is back to form because he's the best scorer in the draft.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 10:02 AM)
Better off how? If the goal is to win a championship, with this roster, the only hope is that Rose is good again. You have to go for broke here, not plan for contingencies. If Rose is hurt again or isn't himself, it doesn't matter what player they could have drafted or signed because they're not going to win. McDermott at least gives you the best ceiling if Rose is back to form because he's the best scorer in the draft.

Even with Love, with no Rose, this team isn't winning a title. Melo was the only guy, where we could have potentially won a title without Rose (and of course Lebron) that was available.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 12:04 PM)
Even with Love, with no Rose, this team isn't winning a title. Melo was the only guy, where we could have potentially won a title without Rose (and of course Lebron) that was available.

Agreed.

I was in Cleveland this weekend for the Sox series. People were chanting his name on the street, yelling it from cars and selling the most ridiculous shirts. There was "The Return" shirt, "For6iven", "The Kingdom Restored" and a mesh of Lebron's face with the Chief Wahoo logo (Yep, really). It was nuts.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 12:02 PM)

Limit mileage on Rose. Healthy Rose > McDermott, so getting a guy who can give Rose legitimate rest was kind of a priority.

Im not sure McDermott will be the best scorer in the draft. There are guys like Parker and Wiggins.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 12:06 PM)
I was in Cleveland this weekend for the Sox series. People were chanting his name on the street, yelling it from cars and selling the most ridiculous shirts. There was "The Return" shirt, "For6iven", "The Kingdom Restored" and a mesh of Lebron's face with the Chief Wahoo logo (Yep, really). It was nuts.

Those Hastily Made Cleveland Tourism videos d it right...their economy is based on LeBron James.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 12:07 PM)
Limit mileage on Rose. Healthy Rose > McDermott, so getting a guy who can give Rose legitimate rest was kind of a priority.

Im not sure McDermott will be the best scorer in the draft. There are guys like Parker and Wiggins.

If those knee injuries were caused by overuse i'd agree with you, but they're weren't. Nor would the amount of mileage on his knees affect any future issue. I mean the guy plays basketball for a living, either his knees are going to hold up or they won't.

And you're right, I meant shooter not scorer. He's the best guy to sit out on the wing and hit an open shot, which is what this team can generate with Rose at the PG and a couple of good passing centers.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 10:07 AM)

I don't know if McDermott is even a starter. He might be more of a 6th man type. We'll have to see how well he can play defense and just how good his scoring will be. It isn't like we are talking about the #1 pick. I almost feel at this point that McDermott is getting overhyped on this board.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 11:17 AM)
I really, really like what I continue to read on Mirotic's defense, which I did not know was an asset:

http://hoopshype.com/columns/david-nurse/w...-nikola-mirotic

That sounded like a spring training article. Hopefully half of it is true, because this team just got another important piece.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 11:54 AM)
You take the best player off any team, and they are screwed.

No s***, Sherlock. Our best player just happens to have missed most of the last three seasons which makes the statement mandatory.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 12:20 PM)
I don't know if McDermott is even a starter. He might be more of a 6th man type. We'll have to see how well he can play defense and just how good his scoring will be. It isn't like we are talking about the #1 pick. I almost feel at this point that McDermott is getting overhyped on this board.

I'm one of his biggest fans and I don't think he's a starter right now. But he's going to hit some shots and make some fans. Anyone writing him off, thinking he can't create his own space for shots will be in for a surprise. Offensively, he's ready to go. Defensively, he needs some work.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 12:06 PM)

Life is so much better with LeBron in Cleveland. People can (mostly) stop hating him now.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 12:20 PM)

His defense will dictate if he is an NBA starter. The kid can flat out score. There is no question there. Can he keep an NBA 2 or 3 in front of him? That is the question. At worst, he will be a great role player for a long time in the NBA just on his ability to shoot the ball.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 10:34 AM)
Life is so much better with LeBron in Cleveland. People can (mostly) stop hating him now.

This season the league is wide open. Spurs dominated last year, but will be a year older, and, well, the West is so difficult, you really don't know who will come through. I don't think the Wizards did anything to put them over the top (no Pierce won't be that difference maker). Pacers, who knows, they should be one of the 2 or 3 best teams, but you really never know. Bulls / Cavs should be 2 of the 3 best aHeat will be relevant (not a title contender) but that relevance depends on Bosh taking his game back to star levels and Wade playing a bit. Nets lose Pierce but get Lopez back, which will help. I don't think Kidd was a very good coach so they also get a coaching upgrade, but still, they are a meh team as a whole. Raptors are again solid but not a title team. I think 4 best teams (in no particular order) are Bulls, Cavs, Pacers, Wizards.