2014-2015 NBA thread

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 07:08 PM)
It's just that I don't think Bulls fans realize or are simply naive to how daunting a task it will be for Rose to get back to his past level in one year. The guy has missed roughly 3 years. It'd be an accomplishment if he were to even play at Kyle Lowry's 2014 level, let alone 2011 mvp, this upcoming season. This is why whiffin' on Melo sucks so much ass. With Melo, Rose doesn't have to dominate.

Um, that kind of indicates the opposite. If they thought it wasn't a big deal, they wouldn't talk about the season in terms of "if Rose is healthy". They would just assume he is healthy and ready to go. Doesn't make any sense the other way. That is also why Bulls fans wanted a Carmelo or Love.

Basically you are making a gross exaggeration to stereotype Bulls fans as complete idiots, when in this case it simply isn't true.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 07:23 PM)
Um, that kind of indicates the opposite. If they thought it wasn't a big deal, they wouldn't talk about the season in terms of "if Rose is healthy". They would just assume he is healthy and ready to go. Doesn't make any sense the other way. That is also why Bulls fans wanted a Carmelo or Love.

Basically you are making a gross exaggeration to stereotype Bulls fans as complete idiots, when in this case it simply isn't true.

He could play 82 games and still not get to the level he needs to to get this team over the 2nd round hump. Yes, I don't think a lot of Bulls fans get that. Does Thibs have to monitor his minutes (i know. lol@thibs and minutes)? What about back2backs? Is that an issue? What about when he's feeling sore? Do you have to sit him to be safe? This is going to be an issue all f***ing year. Rose is 26 but he may as well be 41. Make no mistake about it. One more injury and that's a wrap.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 07:33 PM)
He could play 82 games and still not get to the level he needs to to get this team over the 2nd round hump. Yes, I don't think a lot of Bulls fans get that. Does Thibs have to monitor his minutes (i know. lol@thibs and minutes)? What about back2backs? Is that an issue? What about when he's feeling sore? Do you have to sit him to be safe? This is going to be an issue all f***ing year. Rose is 26 but he may as well be 41. Make no mistake about it. One more injury and that's a wrap.

I am curious what your research is on this topic?

If Rose is healthy and dominant, they win the title.

If Rose is healthy and 80% the player he was, they get the 1 seed.

If Rose is healthy and not quite back to All-Star level, they are Eastern contenders.

If Rose is healthy and equal to DJ Augustin, they're a Top 4 seed in the East but have only a puncher's chance.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 07:40 PM)
No research. Just common sense. You think they're just gonna roll rose out there, no restrictions whatsoever, and whatever happens, happens?

The other side of the coin is that Rose basically hasn't had any wear and tear on his body for three full years now. He hasn't taken any hits, gone through the grind of 100ish games a year, or anything like that. As a smallish PG, there is some value in that as well. He is probably fresher than he has been since he was playing on the playgrounds of Chicago.

At the end of the day, this is the NBA, the first 50/60 games don't really matter. As long as he is playoff form by the time that playoffs start, that is all that matters. I could give a s*** less if he is throwing up donuts in October. If the dude is peaking in April, the Bulls will be a force. I know that doesn't fit the anti-Bulls agenda, but it is the truth. Again, that is why Bulls fan preface their statements with "If Rose is healthy". If he is having nagging injuries, or re-occurrences of the old ones, he obviously isn't healthy, and he isn't going to help the team.

At the end of the day, you let Rose's body dictate his recovery. If he is suffering fatigue, you don't give him a lot of rope. If he is suffering from bad technique because he isn't in shape, you dial him back so he doesn't hurt himself. Again, it only really matters how he is in April. The NBA is f***ing meaningless until the playoffs.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 05:43 PM)
Soxtalks love for OJ mayo is undying, even as he attempts to eat himself out of the league.

I was guilty of it before he went to Dallas. Now I'm over it with what I've seen the past year.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 07:40 PM)
No research. Just common sense. You think they're just gonna roll rose out there, no restrictions whatsoever, and whatever happens, happens?

Yep! That's what his docs and the team docs will allow him to do. Using his knees more, especially at 26, won't increase the risk of re-injury. He either has s***ty ligaments to begin with, in which case there's no "if" but "when" the next injury occurs, or he'll be fine and these were two freak accidents.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 08:16 PM)
Can I get a reason the Bulls D is expected to drop off again?

Because Joakim Noah has something of an injury history that didn't appear much last year and that was key to him being the top defender, but it wouldn't be all that surprising for him to spend some time injured or to take a step back next year given how he plays.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 08:28 AM)
Because Joakim Noah has something of an injury history that didn't appear much last year and that was key to him being the top defender, but it wouldn't be all that surprising for him to spend some time injured or to take a step back next year given how he plays.

Expecting injuries is just not a fun way to look at things...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 08:45 AM)
Just answering the question there.

IMO that's just a silly answer....I realize Jo has been relativity injury prone, but still saying you expect this defense to take a step back because he was healthy last year is nonsense.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 09:51 AM)
IMO that's just a silly answer....I realize Jo has been relativity injury prone, but still saying you expect this defense to take a step back because he was healthy last year is nonsense.

I'd say "surprisingly healthy" for him, especially given the minutes he played.

Can you at least get my point though...Noah turns 30 this season. He had his best season last year at age 28/29, right when people are supposed to have their best seasons. It shouldn't surprise us all that much if at the end of his career that does wind up being his best season, whether it's because of injury or just performance taking a step back.

So if the question was asked "give a reason why the Bulls defense might take a step back this year" I'd have that at the top of my list. That could be offset, of course, if Mirotic and some of the other guys fit into the system well, which they darn well might given that we're replacing Boozer and making the team deeper.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 08:54 AM)

Can you at least get my point though...Noah turns 30 this season. He had his best season last year at age 28/29, right when people are supposed to have their best seasons. It shouldn't surprise us all that much if at the end of his career that does wind up being his best season, whether it's because of injury or just performance taking a step back.

So if the question was asked "give a reason why the Bulls defense might take a step back this year" I'd have that at the top of my list. That could be offset, of course, if Mirotic and some of the other guys fit into the system well, which they darn well might given that we're replacing Boozer and making the team deeper.

Meh, 30 is not that old in the NBA.

I guess I just choose not to look at it that way. We already have the "If Rose is healthy" quotes to worry about, I don't wanna have to worry about Noah as well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 01:54 PM)

That wasn't the question though, a few pages back J4L said this year will be a tough D assignment even for Thibs, and I was asking why we should expect the D to fall off despite no personnel changes moving from good defensive player to poor defensive player.

Yes, if all players get injured, productivity might fall off, but that's not particularly enlightening.

Noah also doesnt have to bear the burden of the front court load this season. For once there is a legitimate frontcourt depth on the bulls. Has Nazr been resigned? I mean, we are looking at Noah, Mirotic, Pau, and Taj, and possibly Bairstow if Thibs trusts him. Noahs minutes could be managed effectively

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 10:02 AM)
That wasn't the question though, a few pages back J4L said this year will be a tough D assignment even for Thibs, and I was asking why we should expect the D to fall off despite no personnel changes moving from good defensive player to poor defensive player.

Yes, if all players get injured, productivity might fall off, but that's not particularly enlightening.

If the question is "why will this be a hard season for Thibs's D", I can give a couple reasons. Deng not being there for one, having a bunch of newcomers for another. If Thibs deserves the confidence I've got in him then I think he'll deal with that, and could potentially even round some of those guys into solid contributors on D as well...but in the back of my mind, I'm thinking of guys like Snell and Butler who didn't contribute much in their first year and wondering whether Mirotic and McDermott will wind up in that kind of setup because they're not fitting into his defense rapidly enough.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 09:10 AM)
If the question is "why will this be a hard season for Thibs's D", I can give a couple reasons. Deng not being there for one, having a bunch of newcomers for another. If Thibs deserves the confidence I've got in him then I think he'll deal with that, and could potentially even round some of those guys into solid contributors on D as well...but in the back of my mind, I'm thinking of guys like Snell and Butler who didn't contribute much in their first year and wondering whether Mirotic and McDermott will wind up in that kind of setup because they're not fitting into his defense rapidly enough.

The team got a lot better after Deng left last season. It may be coincidental, but after he was traded they made their little run that got them into the middle seed.

Everything else here is just looking for problems that arent there. Snell contributed a lot more than Butler did in his first season. And I dont see Mirotic as a regular rookie, i see him in the Asik mold. Thibs got Asik in his regular rotation rather quickly because Omer was used to the grind of a professional season.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 09:15 AM)
The team got a lot better after Deng left last season. It may be coincidental, but after he was traded they made their little run that got them into the middle seed.

Everything else here is just looking for problems that arent there. Snell contributed a lot more than Butler did in his first season. And I dont see Mirotic as a regular rookie, i see him in the Asik mold. Thibs got Asik in his regular rotation rather quickly because Omer was used to the grind of a professional season.

Omer was also a great defender, I don't think Mirotic is going to be clogging the lane like Asik was able to. It will be very interesting to see the type of minutes that Dougie and Mirotic get this season.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 02:15 PM)

Thanks, my thoughts exactly. Mirotic is 23 and has played oversees for 5 years in the best league in Europe on one of the best teams in Europe. I think his transition will be much faster than usual, especially if these reports on his help defense and effort are true.

And likely that Gasol as a backup for Noah over Nazr is going to be at least =. Nasr was just a body, but we'll all never forget how hilarious it was when he pushed lebron and he flew back 15 feet. I love you Nasr, that was awesome.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 09:22 AM)
Omer was also a great defender, I don't think Mirotic is going to be clogging the lane like Asik was able to. It will be very interesting to see the type of minutes that Dougie and Mirotic get this season.

I am certainly not saying Mirotic will be the defender that Asik is, merely that his ability to adapt to the NBA game will be a lot faster than a normal rookie. Basically I dont see Thibs burying him on the bench like he had with Butler and Teague. Although Teague was more because of an inability to be any good