2014-2015 NBA thread

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 02:59 PM)
I think the Bulls work out a trade for Love tomorrow night and everyone wins. Melo can say he was seriously considering the Bulls when he's at his Knicks press conference, getting him off the hook for saying it's not about the money, when it was about the money, and we will get to hear Lebron say he was really, really interested in joining DRose. The Bulls still get their guy and the other guys can claim they would have seriously considered playing for less in order to win with the Bulls. It will also save all of us Bulls fans from the usual just missed we seem to have been now programmed to expect with Gar/Pax.

If you believe Chad Ford's sources, he's going to be a Warrior. The deal is essentially done. Love for Lee/Thompson has been agreed to. They're haggling over add-ons to the deal, not the major pieces. There's a chance someone acts dumb and changes their mind, but they're like 80% there.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 03:59 PM)
I think the Bulls work out a trade for Love tomorrow night and everyone wins. Melo can say he was seriously considering the Bulls when he's at his Knicks press conference, getting him off the hook for saying it's not about the money, when it was about the money, and we will get to hear Lebron say he was really, really interested in joining DRose. The Bulls still get their guy and the other guys can claim they would have seriously considered playing for less in order to win with the Bulls. It will also save all of us Bulls fans from the usual just missed we seem to have been now programmed to expect with Gar/Pax.

But, according to a league source, the Timberwolves are prepared to wait out the draft and instead focus on Plan B - taking advantage of the aftermath of the Carmelo Anthony sweepstakes.
Sporting News writer

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 01:20 PM)
If you believe Chad Ford's sources, he's going to be a Warrior. The deal is essentially done. Love for Lee/Thompson has been agreed to. They're haggling over add-ons to the deal, not the major pieces. There's a chance someone acts dumb and changes their mind, but they're like 80% there.

I don't believe Chad Ford's sources at all.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 03:20 PM)

Where are you seeing this? I see where he says it'd be a great fit, and that a Curry/Love combo would put them in the running for Lebron, nut nothing about a deal being essentially done.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 03:33 PM)
Where are you seeing this? I see where he says it'd be a great fit, and that a Curry/Love combo would put them in the running for Lebron, nut nothing about a deal being essentially done.

Simmons' podcast yesterday.

Sources: Cavaliers' pursuit of Minnesota All-Star Kevin Love loses steam

Cleveland's pursuit of Minnesota Timberwolves All-Star forward Kevin Love – which included a package centered on the No. 1 overall pick in Thursday's NBA draft – has sputtered because of Love's warning that he'd never sign an extension with the Cavaliers, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

There was no deal structure fully in place, but the Cavaliers had been fiercely determined to secure Love in a trade package, sources said.

Cleveland was eager to build with Love and All-Star point guard Kyrie Irving and hoped that the pairing could've become an incentive for LeBron James to seriously consider a return to the Cavaliers in free agency, sources said.

----

Among teams pursuing Love, there's an increasing sense that Love's narrow wish list is increasing the chances that he could start the season with Minnesota.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 04:16 PM)
Sources: Carmelo Anthony will visit Houston, Dallas and Chicago once teams are allowed to meet with free agents on July 1

If he goes to Houston I'd be all over Parsons and hope they could still add Love or Afflalo. Rose-Butler-Parsons-Love-Noah or Rose-Afflalo-Parsons-Taj-Noah.

I'd have Parson right up there in the Afflalo discussion as plan C....He's a restricted FA btw...Probably gets resigned if Houston misses on Melo/James

Edited by scs787

Sounds like deal about to go down between New York and Dallas. Tyson Chandler, Raymond Felton to Dallas, Knicks get Jose Calderon, Samuel Dalebert, Shane Larkin, No. 34 and No. 51 in the draft.

Huge haul for New York who sheds long-term salary but picks up 2015 salary (when they're reportedly going to pursue Kevin Durant) and adds two picks in a deep draft.
So they are actually adding 2015 salary in order to clear max cap space next year.

Felton and Chandler going to the Mavericks it looks like. Calderón, Dalembert, Shane Larkin, and Ellington to NY. Party like it's 2011 Cuban. There aren't many players in the league I'd want less than Felton.

Don't know what it means for Melo, but probably doesn't help the Knicks.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 05:46 PM)
Felton and Chandler going to the Mavericks it looks like. Calderón, Dalembert, Shane Larkin, and Ellington to NY. Party like it's 2011 Cuban. There aren't many players in the league I'd want less than Felton.

Don't know what it means for Melo, but probably doesn't help the Knicks.

Makes them a worse team right now but does shed some salary (Dalembert has an option/buyout) so that's something. Still won't put them under the cap far enough to add many players next to Melo and probably makes him look and say he'd have even less around him next year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 04:54 PM)
Scott Cacciola ‏@ScottCacciola 58m

Tyson Chandler is/was one of Carmelo Anthony's favorite teammates, so this will be interesting.

And the Mavs are one of the teams Melo is going to visit....Very interesting, though I'm not sure where this deal sets the Mavs up financially. I assume they still plan on resigning Dirk.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 11:30 AM)
I don't really see how the Bulls are getting Afflalo if they use their picks this year?

They aren't. I think Cleveland will take Afflalo, #4, and #12 from Orlando for #1 tomorrow night. I expect the Bulls to take Dario Saric at #16 if available tomorrow and draft a player for someone else at #19. Bulls won't get a player tomorrow night.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 05:16 PM)
I would LOL so hard if Cleveland took that.

Why wouldn't they take it? That's a good deal. I would stay at #1 and take Wiggins but moving to #4 lets them take Embiid at 4. Then pick again at #12 and acquire Afflalo.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 05:20 PM)
Why wouldn't they take it? That's a good deal. I would stay at #1 and take Wiggins but moving to #4 lets them take Embiid at 4. Then pick again at #12 and acquire Afflalo.

That's a horrific deal for one of the two of the best wing prospects of all time. But yeah it is Cleveland.

Seriously though, it's the single most valuable draft pick in 11 years. You better get a superstar back if you are trading it.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 05:23 PM)
That's a horrific deal for one of the two of the best wing prospects of all time. But yeah it is Cleveland.

Seriously though, it's the single most valuable draft pick in 11 years. You better get a superstar back if you are trading it.

Maybe they would. They were going to take Joel Embiid over Wiggins and Parker. Now they could still take him and get other assets as well.

????

Picks 1-4 in this draft are a crapshoot. If you can stay in that top 4 AND pick up another lottery pick, you do that in a heartbeat.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 04:38 PM)
Maybe they would. They were going to take Joel Embiid over Wiggins and Parker. Now they could still take him and get other assets as well.

That would require knowing Embiid is even there at 4. So you are now trading one of the best wing prospects of all-time for a player you don't even know you'll get. And if you do get him contingently, his career might be over before it even begins. This is simple for the Cavs. They have a nice spot at one where they can't possibly go wrong with. There's way, way, way too many other moving parts to mess with to even consider trading the most valuable draft in 11 years.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 04:42 PM)
????

Picks 1-4 in this draft are a crapshoot.

No, they aren't. That infers Exum has a shot at going above Parker or Wiggins which there isn't.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 05:47 PM)
That would require knowing Embiid is even there at 4. So you are now trading one of the best wing prospects of all-time for a player you don't even know you'll get. And if you do get him contingently, his career might be over before it even begins. This is simple for the Cavs. They have a nice spot at one where they can't possibly go wrong with.

No, they aren't. That infers Exum has a shot at going above Parker or Wiggins which there isn't.

The Cavs wanted a late workout with him today and he's in play at 1. He's 18 years old. Analysts say he's #1 worthy, that's how good he could be.

Edit: Furthermore they COULD get it wrong. They could take Embiid and be stuck with a broken player like Oden. Wiggins could be crazy athletic but never have the skill to really be an all star. Parker could have a ceiling and one of the other three could end up being an all-timer. Exum could be an absolute bust. There's no sure thing here. They could easily take one guy and watch one or more of the other 3 end up being better.

Edit 2: it being a deep draft also helps. Getting two top ten picks in this draft is like getting 2 top 5 picks in normal drafts. That's huge.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

Come on now, Durant and Anthony were better prospects than either of these guys. Davis definitely goes ahead of either of them too, and possibly Griffin.

Now a healthy Embiid might have been a different story...