2014-2015 NBA thread

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 02:43 PM)
Kirk was getting paid $4 million last year to shoot 32% from the field and 75% from FT. Please tell me some more great 1-game samples.

Precisely why I added "FWIW"...You brought up the 68 point game and I responded that that game wasn't even on him.

DJ shot 29% in the playoffs while Kirk shot 41.

I'm just gonna say again that Kirk was the 15th best defensive guard in the league last year, and he's playing for a defensive minded coach....That's nuff said

Aso...39% not 32%

Edited by scs787

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 02:36 PM)
In comparison to Lebron James, yes, he sucks. In comparison to other back-up point guards making 2 million a year, he's actually pretty good. His shooting is about the only thing that sucks in his game. He can do everything else just fine for 10-15 minutes a game against a 2nd unit.

Well he also doesn't do a good job creating shots for other players and turns the ball over too much for a guy who doesn't create for himself or others.

As of 2 weeks ago when Kirk first agreed, we did not have a legit backup PG who can step up and start if Rose was to go down.

Kirk was actually offered more by a couple other teams, but decided to stay. If you are the FO , i dont know if you can just let Kirk walk knowing that there's no other floor general type PG out there that you can get with the room MLE or vet min. He flexibility to play the 2 and defend well is definitely a plus.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 02:44 PM)
So can other players for the vet min. A guard that can't shoot or pass...it does sound appealing.

Who are these players you speak of? You may be right, there might be someone i'm not thinking of, but for now, to get over the hurdle of "veteran of the system/franchise + good defender+capable ball-handler," I need some names.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 02:44 PM)
So can other players for the vet min. A guard that can't shoot or pass...it does sound appealing.

Kirk had a better TO/AST ratio in Chicago.

I'm bringing WAR into this....DJ had a -1.65 WAR, Kirk 2.24

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 02:58 PM)
Who are these players you speak of? You may be right, there might be someone i'm not thinking of, but for now, to get over the hurdle of "veteran of the system/franchise + good defender+capable ball-handler," I need some names.

I think we have established that to bmags they are all named "Not Hinrich"

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 08:58 PM)

I'd much rather have made a push with the BAE after Shawn Marion than kirk Hinrich. Now if we land Marion on vet min (as KC Johnson rumored, but I find to be a longshot), I'll retract any criticism. I'd just much rather have defensive help to wings than backup PG, where that added D provides less value as far as I'm concerned. I think there is a chance if Snell has not developed that Jimmy will be stay on the court for the second unit like we often saw from Deng because Hinrich-Snell-McDermott-Mirotic-Taj may be good on D, but we don't know.

Especially when we need D, I'd feel more comfortable with Rose-Butler-Marion-Gibson-Noah than Rose-Hinrich-Butler-Gibson-Noah.

And I'd still rather have Ramon Sessions. Rose-Sessions-Brooks just makes me more comfortable with offense when Rose goes down than Rose-Hinrich-Brooks. Maybe he signs for the min, but that requires convincing.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 08:55 PM)
As of 2 weeks ago when Kirk first agreed, we did not have a legit backup PG who can step up and start if Rose was to go down.

Kirk was actually offered more by a couple other teams, but decided to stay. If you are the FO , i dont know if you can just let Kirk walk knowing that there's no other floor general type PG out there that you can get with the room MLE or vet min. He flexibility to play the 2 and defend well is definitely a plus.

There's Jameer Nelson.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 02:07 PM)
I'd much rather have made a push with the BAE after Shawn Marion than kirk Hinrich. Now if we land Marion on vet min (as KC Johnson rumored, but I find to be a longshot), I'll retract any criticism. I'd just much rather have defensive help to wings than backup PG, where that added D provides less value as far as I'm concerned. I think there is a chance if Snell has not developed that Jimmy will be stay on the court for the second unit like we often saw from Deng because Hinrich-Snell-McDermott-Mirotic-Taj may be good on D, but we don't know.

Especially when we need D, I'd feel more comfortable with Rose-Butler-Marion-Gibson-Noah than Rose-Hinrich-Butler-Gibson-Noah.

And I'd still rather have Ramon Sessions. Rose-Sessions-Brooks just makes me more comfortable with offense when Rose goes down than Rose-Hinrich-Brooks. Maybe he signs for the min, but that requires convincing.

Is Marion supposedly coming here? I know they kicked tires but presume he wasn't coming for the vet min. I'd like that move, however, when this team didn't have a single point guard outside of Rose, using the BAE on something other then a PG (such as Marion as you imply above) made zero sense.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 02:07 PM)

You aren't going to get Sessions and Brooks to both come here for that cheap. One or the other but not both. Brooks came because he knows that with a healthy Rose, he'll still get minutes cause Hinrich will play a bit at the 2 as well.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 10:19 PM)
Who shot .001% better than Kirk, was .003% worse from 3, turned the ball over .8 more, and is far worse defensively.....But, he shoots FTs better, so there's that I guess.

He's a much, much better facilitator. Someone you'd like to see with a lineup of shooters.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 10:18 PM)
Is Marion supposedly coming here? I know they kicked tires but presume he wasn't coming for the vet min. I'd like that move, however, when this team didn't have a single point guard outside of Rose, using the BAE on something other then a PG (such as Marion as you imply above) made zero sense.

I disagree.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 04:25 PM)
He's a much, much better facilitator. Someone you'd like to see with a lineup of shooters.

I still think this is a bit overblown. Who the hell could Kirk pass to the last 2 years?

When Thibs runs out Noah (no jumpshot), Taj (no perimeter game), Butler (can't shoot consistently) , it's pretty tough to pass the ball around efficiently.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 02:18 PM)
No, I'm not acting like that at all. I'm questioning the allocation of resources to a s*** backup PG for the BAE when more interesting moves were available, or players with different skill sets (offense) were available.

ding ding ding

And they gave him 2 years, too. unreal. When Ramon Sessions signs for less, I'm going to be peeved.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 10:51 PM)
I still think this is a bit overblown. Who the hell could Kirk pass to the last 2 years?

When Thibs runs out Noah (no jumpshot), Taj (no perimeter game), Butler (can't shoot consistently) , it's pretty tough to pass the ball around efficiently.

Okay, why could our starting center create more assists per 36 than our starting point guard? The excuses are ridiculous.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 05:14 PM)
Okay, why could our starting center create more assists per 36 than our starting point guard? The excuses are ridiculous.

One of the best passing centers of your lifetime? Hmm

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 11:37 PM)
One of the best passing centers of your lifetime? Hmm

Okay, but again, that's not a total that should be particularly difficult for a starting PG to hit.

Just the site of Kirk Hinrich makes me want to regurgitate. But not even I will make a big deal about him coming back. He's only mattered the last two years because of Rose's inability to stay on the court. More Rose, less Hinrich, that simple. If Rose gets hurt again then that means a lot more Hinrich. Which it won't matter because the season will be over anyway.