2014-2015 NBA thread

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 09:17 PM)
I just want someone different than Kirk. You know he's going to get more minutes than he should.

That has nothing to do with Kirk Hinrich. Or frankly nothing to do with Thibs for that matter.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 08:30 AM)
That has nothing to do with Kirk Hinrich. Or frankly nothing to do with Thibs for that matter.

I guarantee you will see Rose and Hinrich on the floor at the same time more than we need to.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 09:47 AM)
I guarantee you will see Rose and Hinrich on the floor at the same time more than we need to.

I have no problem with this. Genuinely don't. If Hinrich is out there with Rose it's for his defense and it's either giving Jimmy Butler some extra rest or its creating a lineup that combines extra outside shooting with solid perimeter D. In short bursts that could very well be an effective lineup for the Bulls.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 01:55 PM)
I have no problem with this. Genuinely don't. If Hinrich is out there with Rose it's for his defense and it's either giving Jimmy Butler some extra rest or its creating a lineup that combines extra outside shooting with solid perimeter D. In short bursts that could very well be an effective lineup for the Bulls.

He's talking about Hinrich.

"Bulls Rumors" was retweeted by 87.7 the game (I followed to get sox tickets once)...anyway they tweeted that Bulls players have been reaching out to Marion to come to the Bulls. I think if he was going to take min he'd just go back to Dallas, but if we could get him here for that I would be ecstatic. I'm pretty nervous about Dunleavy/McDermott pulling the defensive weight at SF.

Rose-Butler-Marion-Taj-Noah...oof that would be as stingy as Deng was and I love Marion's offensive versatility.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 09:23 AM)
"Bulls Rumors" was retweeted by 87.7 the game (I followed to get sox tickets once)...anyway they tweeted that Bulls players have been reaching out to Marion to come to the Bulls. I think if he was going to take min he'd just go back to Dallas, but if we could get him here for that I would be ecstatic. I'm pretty nervous about Dunleavy/McDermott pulling the defensive weight at SF.

Rose-Butler-Marion-Taj-Noah...oof that would be as stingy as Deng was and I love Marion's offensive versatility.

Here's a good time to ask this....Anyone know how "real plus minus" is all calculated?

On paper it would appear that Marion is a solid offensive player, yet RPM has him ranked as the 50th SF with a -1.72. Whereas Dunleavy is ranked 13th with a 1.18

And then also defensively Dunleavy ranks 9th while Marion ranks 21st.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 09:35 AM)
At some point aren't the Bulls out of roster spots?

Rose, Butler, McDermott, Gasol, Noah, Taj, Mirotic, Hinrich, Dunleavy, Snell, the other 2nd rounder, Brooks...Marion?

Or is the choice between Marion and Brooks?

They can carry up to 15. 12 can be active on any one night. More than anything it depends on cap room and luxury tax numbers. Marion would make 13.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 10:35 AM)

Rose, Butler, McDermott, Gasol, Noah, Taj, Mirotic, Hinrich, Dunleavy, Snell, the other 2nd rounder, Brooks...Marion?

They've got 15 roster spots to work with.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 02:35 PM)

It is "required" to have 13 roster spots (not really though, you can just pay that $500k instead of signing a player), and on most game nights, it is likely that Bairstow would sit. The bulls currently have 12.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 02:34 PM)
Here's a good time to ask this....Anyone know how "real plus minus" is all calculated?

On paper it would appear that Marion is a solid offensive player, yet RPM has him ranked as the 50th SF with a -1.72. Whereas Dunleavy is ranked 13th with a 1.18

I don't know, but while I do believe Dunleavy is better than Marion offensively, defensively I'm guessing that had to do with Marion having Dalembert and Nowitski behind him and Dunleavy having Taj and Noah.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 09:34 AM)

I would take most "advanced" statistics in basketball with a grain of salt. It's so much of a team sport that it's hard to measure in black and white individual statistics. Lots of people at realgm like advanced statistics (like RAPM), but it's led people to argue that Kevin Garnett is a top 5 basketball player ever.

Edited by Boogua

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 06:55 AM)

Completely agree. It also allows Rose to play off the ball and not have as much pressure on him as the primary ball handler. There are a lot of reasons it can be a good idea to have Rose / Hinrich on the court together. What we don't want is Hinrich starting because Rose is out for an extended period of time.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 03:52 PM)
I would take most "advanced" statistics in basketball with a grain of salt. It's so much of a team sport that it's hard to measure in black and white individual statistics. Lots of people at realgm like advanced statistics (like RAPM), but it's led people to argue that Kevin Garnett is a top 5 basketball player ever.

The really meaningful stats to me are isolating specific lineups a player is in and measuring their offensive and defensive efficiency (points per 100 possesions allowed/scored).

Also Marion played in west vs better talent at wing than the east offers.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 07:11 AM)
Kirk is not THAT bad a 3 point shooter. I don't think it's too crazy to think that he could get back to the 39% he shot just 2 years ago. That % was good for 66th in the league.

Especially when he is getting good looks with the spacing that should be created. He's going to be put in a position to be more efficient on offense and we all know he's still a real good defender.

Kevin Love Trade To Cavaliers ‘Deal Is Done’; No Timetable Given

A trade that would send Kevin Love to the Cleveland Cavaliers is “done,” WMTW Channel 8 Portland sports anchor Travis Lee tweeted Tuesday, citing a “trusted source in the industry.” If true, this wouldn’t be completely shocking news, since Love has been connected in trade rumors with the Cavs for weeks, but it would still be a major development. Love has been on the trade block for months amid speculation he will opt out of his contract at the end of the season and leave the Minnesota Timberwolves as a free agent. The Boston Celtics and Golden State Warriors have reportedly been pushing hard to make a deal, but the Cavs became a late favorite when LeBron James agreed to sign there. One thing worth mentioning, however, is that there was no story on WMTW’s website late Tuesday morning mentioning the Love report, which would amount to a significant scoop for the TV station.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 09:57 AM)
The really meaningful stats to me are isolating specific lineups a player is in and measuring their offensive and defensive efficiency (points per 100 possesions allowed/scored).

Also Marion played in west vs better talent at wing than the east offers.

So are you saying individual O-rating and d-rating? I mean, I think it's useful, but I still don't think it's great. To give an example though, Adrian Dantley led the league in PER, O-rating, and win shares (which takes o-rating and d-rating into account) and he didn't make all nba 1st team or finish top 5 in MVP voting. It reminds me of the Kevin Love argument that people were making to say he was a top 5 player in the league (I don't think he is, but he could prove me wrong).

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 09:23 AM)

I'd have to guess a big selling point would be to play in his home town.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 03:08 PM)
So are you saying individual O-rating and d-rating? I mean, I think it's useful, but I still don't think it's great. To give an example though, Adrian Dantley led the league in PER, O-rating, and win shares (which takes o-rating and d-rating into account) and he didn't make all nba 1st team or finish top 5 in MVP voting. It reminds me of the Kevin Love argument that people were making to say he was a top 5 player in the league (I don't think he is, but he could prove me wrong).

No, like what is the points/100 possessions for a lineup of Kirk-Butler-MDJ-Boozer-Noah. What's the Points/100 possessions for a lineup of Kirk-Butler-MDJ-Gibson-Noah. What is points per 100 possessions for dj-snell-butler-gibson-nazr. These help show how good Gibson is at defense, but they are also dramatic in his case. I think they help to show how dominant/terrible some players are, but when you get to average players they don't really tell you much.