2014-2015 NBA thread

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At the very least, a taller Carlos Boozer would have been a much more acceptable Carlos Boozer. His inability to finish under the hoop in his time got worse as his athleticism declined.

Also this is why Bairstow I think will make it on the team as a reserve, he's good defensively, but I don't see much more than a 3-4 year career for him. He can't dunk it standing under the rim, he was getting rejected left and right in summer league. Maybe he'll be a defensive stalwart but that is worrisome.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 11:54 AM)
At the very least, a taller Carlos Boozer would have been a much more acceptable Carlos Boozer. His inability to finish under the hoop in his time got worse as his athleticism declined.

It didn't help that he has a ridiculously small vertical.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11247946...love-trade-push

Bulls making push for Kevin Love

Updated: July 22, 2014, 1:39 PM ET

By Marc Stein and Brian Windhorst | ESPN.com

The Cleveland Cavaliers are firmly in the lead to acquire Kevin Love but the Chicago Bulls are making a renewed push to get into the trade mix for the All-Star power forward, according to sources close to the process.

Sources told ESPN.com the Cavs are increasingly optimistic that they are progressing toward a trade framework that the Minnesota Timberwolves will accept in exchange for Love to pair him with his Team USA teammate LeBron James.

Cleveland's offer, sources said, would be headlined by No. 1 overall pick Andrew Wiggins, 2013's No. 1 overall pick Anthony Bennett and a future first-round pick. At least one more player might have to added to the package to satisfy NBA trade rules.

The Bulls are making a renewed push to get into the trade mix for Kevin Love, according to sources.

Sources say that the Bulls, though, have this re-entered the race and would appear to be the biggest threat to the Cavs, thanks largely to the Golden State Warriors' resolute unwillingness to add longtime Wolves target Klay Thompson in a deal.

Although the full extent of the Bulls' offer wasn't immediately known, it is believed Minnesota would seek a package from Chicago featuring forward Taj Gibson and defensive ace Jimmy Butler in addition to other assets. The Bulls shelved their Love interest while trying to sign Carmelo Anthony away from the New York Knicks but, according to sources, have re-emerged as a contender.

ESPN.com reported as far back as May that Golden State and Chicago were two prime destinations that interest Love, who holds more than the usual sway in this process because he has the ability to become a free agent next summer.

The Cavs, though, rocketed to the same upper echelon of Love's wish list of potential trade destinations from the moment James agreed to sign with the Cavs. ESPN.com reported this month that even James' short-term contract with the Cavs -- which spans only two seasons and includes a player option to return to free agency next summer -- would not dissuade Love from committing to Cleveland.

Wolves owner Glen Taylor insisted again last week that he wanted to keep Love and that Minnesota is prepared to open the season with Love on the roster. But sources say numerous rival teams believe that Minnesota will ultimately part with Love before the start of the new season, given the extremely public nature of Love's unwillingness to commit to the Wolves beyond this season.

As ESPN.com reported Sunday, Cleveland is planning to formalize a contract with Wiggins this week. A trade involving Wiggins can't be done until 30 days after he signs his contract, which means the Cavs would have to wait a month to officially complete a deal with Minnesota even if the sides come to terms on a swap.

The Cavs' delay in signing Wiggins is not related to the Love pursuit, sources say, but they ultimately would have to have Wiggins under contract to facilitate such a trade. The packages Cleveland has been offering to Minnesota, sources say, have included Wiggins' projected salary-cap number of $5.5 million, which can only be factored into the trade if he's under contract.

While James is said to be intrigued with Wiggins' potential and to have tracked his progress during summer league, sources say he has backed the Cavs' win-now pursuit of Love, with whom he played on the United States' gold-medal winning team at the 2012 London Olympics.

ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard reported last week that a Cavs/Wolves trade appeared close to completion, but quoted sources close to process as saying that Minnesota wants more than Cleveland has offered to this point.

Sources say that the Wolves and Warriors also appeared close to completing a deal in June that would have sent Love to Golden State, but the Warriors ultimately decided they could not bear to part with Thompson, offering a combination of David Lee and Harrison Barnes instead.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 12:48 PM)
I would guess the Bulls are just trying to make sure that Cleveland gets rid of both Wiggins and Bennett in a trade? I have no idea, but the Bulls clearly can't beat the cavs offer.

That makes more sense than anything else.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 12:48 PM)
I would guess the Bulls are just trying to make sure that Cleveland gets rid of both Wiggins and Bennett in a trade? I have no idea, but the Bulls clearly can't beat the cavs offer.

Doesn't really help the Bulls though. Is Bennett really that much of a threat?

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 01:00 PM)
It seems at this point that Klay Thompson has never been formally offered to the TWolves.

I think I read that Steph Curry didn't like trading both Lee and Thompson for Love.

Lee and Barnes seems a bit more fair.

The one positive (cuz hey, let's whip ourselves into a frenzy one more time this off season) is that Flip wants to win now and Wiggins isn't going to do that for him. Taj and Butler and some draft picks let's him sorta do that and plan for the future. Still not sure that's getting them to the playoffs though.

I find it hard to believe they'd part with McDermott or Mirotic so soon. Taj and Butler and Dunleavy and picks are the only possibilities I would think.