2014-2015 NBA thread

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 10:12 AM)
I totally disagree. I think Lebron did it because he had to, but it (rightfully) wears him out. And the older he gets the harder it will be for him to take that role every night. Obviously, Rose (edit: Rose? I meant love) is a stretch 4, but he can absolutely go down low and distribute well, not Lebron well, but well.

Lebron did it because he had to? Chris Bosh took 56% of his shots within 10 feet his last year with Toronto because that was much more of his game. Lebron needs floor spacers because he's much more effective around the rim than most everybody else. This is why Bosh became a stretch 4.

I don't know why they would take Love, a guy who isn't nearly as effective around the rim as Bosh was in Toronto, let alone Lebron, and make him play in the post.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 10:09 AM)
One that unfortunately falls well short of Wiggins.

But I'm down for another hype train. Choo choo!

IDK, does it?

Mirotic could have been a top 5 pick this year. McDermott was the #11 and Taj is one of the better defensive players in the league. That's a lot of quantity over quality, but it just might be enough quantity to outweigh whatever promise Wiggins has.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 03:26 PM)
Lebron did it because he had to? Chris Bosh took 56% of his shots within 10 feet his last year with Toronto because that was much more of his game. Lebron needs floor spacers because he's much more effective around the rim than most everybody else. This is why Bosh became a stretch 4.

I don't know why they would take Love, a guy who isn't nearly as effective around the rim as Bosh was in Toronto, let alone Lebron, and make him play in the post.

I'm not talking about the 80% of the game where Love will be sitting 15-20 feet on the outside, I'm talking about the 20% of the game, or 1 game in 5 where defense has clamped down on their perimeter and James has gone down low, collapsed the defense on him and opened up easier shots while banging down low. He doesn't do that all game, he's mostly driving on a weak matchup and finishing. That's not a post game, which is what I'm talking about. Love can play that role going down low, and distributing, because he's a really good passer, and is a good enough threat down low.

He's at least much more of a sure bet to help with those duties than Andy and Tristan Thompson.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)
Probably, but I guess it depends on the TWolves perception. One of their beat writers said they love McDermott, they could be of the belief that Niko is the top 5 pick everyone always brings up, and Taj fits real well next to Pekovic.

And on the other end of things, they could see Bennett as trash......Wiggins is the best player, but that Bulls package might be better.

History shows you take the best player, not the best package. I still think the report of the Bulls offer is BS, and they can't trade McDermott for 30 days anyways.

The top 5 pick stuff for Mirotic is from France Franchilla who over rates every international prospect ever because, well, it's his job. It's like asking Hawk about Gordon Beckham. I'm sure it won't stop that from being repeated ad nauseum here, but no one was offering their top 5 pick for Mirotic. I do believe he could have been top 10, maybe. Right now he's a 3rd string power forward.

Cleveland offers the better package as long as they include Wiggins. He's a potential locked up superstar. Thats what every team in the league craves. Gibson is nice but 30 and McDermott and Mirotic might be good too but you can't pass on Wiggins. Waiters is decent enough to add some value. Bennett is likely garbage, but they have the Heat number 1 too which should be worth more than a Bulls pick.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 10:36 AM)
I'm not talking about the 80% of the game where Love will be sitting 15-20 feet on the outside, I'm talking about the 20% of the game, or 1 game in 5 where defense has clamped down on their perimeter and James has gone down low, collapsed the defense on him and opened up easier shots while banging down low. He doesn't do that all game, he's mostly driving on a weak matchup and finishing. That's not a post game, which is what I'm talking about. Love can play that role going down low, and distributing, because he's a really good passer, and is a good enough threat down low.

He's at least much more of a sure bet to help with those duties than Andy and Tristan Thompson.

No argument there.

I still don't know why things would be so different with Love than Bosh when Bosh was very clearly a better post player than Love. Maybe it was bad coaching.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 10:44 AM)
The top 5 pick stuff for Mirotic is from France Franchilla who over rates every international prospect ever because, well, it's his job. It's like asking Hawk about Gordon Beckham. I'm sure it won't stop that from being repeated ad nauseum here, but no one was offering their top 5 pick for Mirotic. I do believe he could have been top 10, maybe. Right now he's a 3rd string power forward.

Cleveland offers the better package as long as they include Wiggins. He's a potential locked up superstar. Thats what every team in the league craves. Gibson is nice but 30 and McDermott and Mirotic might be good too but you can't pass on Wiggins. Waiters is decent enough to add some value. Bennett is likely garbage, but they have the Heat number 1 too which should be worth more than a Bulls pick.

Chad Ford said the same thing about Mirotic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 10:43 AM)
Wouldn't it be really s***ty of the Bulls to trade these guys given the promises that were made? KC Johnson tweeted yesterday and 2 weeks ago that the Bulls promised Mirotic a long term commitment and that's why he opted out.

Not only that, they'd be sending him to Minnesota (barf)

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 10:44 AM)

Some people would say you are overrating Wiggins at this time. So nobody really knows what types of players these guys will be. The Bulls offer is very very good and at the very least pressure Cleveland to give up too much which is good for the Bulls anyway.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 11:05 AM)
Some people would say you are overrating Wiggins at this time. So nobody really knows what types of players these guys will be. The Bulls offer is very very good and at the very least pressure Cleveland to give up too much which is good for the Bulls anyway.

Man I'm being criticized for both over rating and under rating Wiggins now, ha.

He is a potential superstar with improvement in his offensive game. Given how athletic he is, it's easy to see that he can get there. The same can't be said for anyone the Bulls offer. I don't know why anyone would disagree with that.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 03:53 PM)
No argument there.

I still don't know why things would be so different with Love than Bosh when Bosh was very clearly a better post player than Love. Maybe it was bad coaching.

I don't know. Bosh was oddly inconsistent in Miami. Maybe it was being used so differently than Toronto, but some games he would do that and they were incredible. But it seemed like it was rarely in the playoffs.

Maybe it was like what we see with bulls. Some inspired offensive play by Noah/Taj, and then Rose gets on the floor and it's like they just watch.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 11:11 AM)
So basically, no matter what comes out of the KLove situation, at this point the Bulls are securing some type of win.

Yeah, something you don't see much of in Bulls' off-seasons.

If we get him, great. If Cleveland pays handsomely, good. If Golden State gets him, even better.

It's more or less a win-win.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 04:11 PM)
So basically, no matter what comes out of the KLove situation, at this point the Bulls are securing some type of win.

Because I don't feel like the bulls will land Love (and despite my earlier clamoring, even I feel somewhat uncomfortable treating these players like that. It's one thing to trade Mirotic's rights, it's another to debut him with a press conference and then trade him 2 weeks later), to me best case scenario is wolves keeping love and losing him for nothing to LA/Bos next summer.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 11:09 AM)
Man I'm being criticized for both over rating and under rating Wiggins now, ha.

He is a potential superstar with improvement in his offensive game. Given how athletic he is, it's easy to see that he can get there. The same can't be said for anyone the Bulls offer. I don't know why anyone would disagree with that.

Depends if you think athleticism as a wing is the only path to being a superstar. He could easily be an also ran with that same talent if the other aspects dont develop. Bunch of question marks in this deal as far as I am concerned, and I have NO idea how Bennett all of a sudden became valuable.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 11:15 AM)
Depends if you think athleticism as a wing is the only path to being a superstar. He could easily be an also ran with that same talent if the other aspects dont develop. Bunch of question marks in this deal as far as I am concerned, and I have NO idea how Bennett all of a sudden became valuable.

I feel like Wiggins is going to be a very inefficient player his first few years. His jump shot is far too inconsistent. Playing with LeBron will help a lot, but if you put him on the T'Wolves, I don't think anybody should be expecting much in terms of efficiency. LeBron and KD both hovered around the .500 mark in terms of TS% their first year, so there's definitely an adjustment period, even for elite talent.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 11:15 AM)

Of course he could totally bust, but that's why it's potential, something greater currently than what the Bulls can offer. At the very least he should be elite Defensively.

And Bennett isn't worth anything other than a nice line in the press release saying the Wolves got two number one picks.

I think Wiggins being a #2 to Lebron is the best thing that can happen to him. I saw a lot of leadership out of Melo his year at Syracuse. I saw a lot of leadership out of Lebron right away, and at high school. AD, rose, etc. in their freshman years. I didn't get that out of Wiggins. He's this big, freakish talent that didn't will himself into games in a pretty down college bball season.