2014-2015 NBA thread

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 01:08 PM)
Maybe he did, but to think if Minnesota came back a month or 2 from now and said they would make the deal, and Gar says it's no longer on the table, is laughable.

This is where the Bulls' front office would have the upper hand. They've done nothing in the past many years that says they like to make risky moves. Saying there's a deadline is very real with the Chicago Bulls' front office.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 01:10 PM)
Good. Bulls have nothing to lose here and everything to gain.

Although I have a question...if the Bulls couldn't get Melo the 96 million dollar max even with moving Taj, how are they going to sign Love to a max deal next year? Just hope the cap number goes up enough?

No, the rules are different for your own players, at which point once he's acquired Love becomes "our player". They'd easily be able to extend him at a number that works for both sides. You can go well over the cap when extending your own players.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 01:12 PM)
Honestly, I don't think it is. Bulls will need to fill out the team with vets if this takes place. They will be a lot more limited in 2 months, or minnesota will need to send more back to fill out the roster with more than 10 day contracts.

This trade cannot even become official for a month if it is as advertised. So how you fill out your 12-15 guys IMO is pretty irrelevant. I could understand the Bulls putting a deadline on it, I just can't see them enforcing it. It's not like there are a bunch of these types of guys available. And if the Bulls think Love to Cleveland is inevitable, they might as well play along to help Minnesota extract everything they can from them.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 01:18 PM)
This trade cannot even become official for a month if it is as advertised. So how you fill out your 12-15 guys IMO is pretty irrelevant. I could understand the Bulls putting a deadline on it, I just can't see them enforcing it. It's not like there are a bunch of these types of guys available. And if the Bulls think Love to Cleveland is inevitable, they might as well play along to help Minnesota extract everything they can from them.

This whole 30 days thing is moot. Deals get done before they can be made official all the time. LeBron's "decision" four years ago happened before he was even officially traded to Miami.

They can come to terms five minutes from now on a contract that's executable 29 days from now.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 11:18 AM)

I think it can be a deal just pending final conclusion in a month but technically be done; Kind of like a lot of those late June deals that were made but couldn't become effective until July. I think everything in those cases is worked out and finalized and it is just a matter of the final stamps but teams can't be secretly shopping around for better offers, etc. At least that has always been my understanding but maybe that is an unwritten rule that could be broken.

I guess the other question is has McD technically signed that contract?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 06:22 PM)
This whole 30 days thing is moot. Deals get done before they can be made official all the time. LeBron's "decision" four years ago happened before he was even officially traded to Miami.

They can come to terms five minutes from now on a contract that's executable 29 days from now.

Right.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 01:22 PM)

I understand that, but exactly how does cutting the auction short help Minnesota? I understand if they really like this Bulls deal and think it would be off the table. But even Gar/Pax aren't that dumb. When LeBron agreed, decisions had to be made, there were back up plans. It's not like the Bulls can easily send this package for another star. It's pretty much Love or bust for a few teams.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 11:27 AM)
I understand that, but exactly how does cutting the auction short help Minnesota? I understand if they really like this Bulls deal and think it would be off the table. But even Gar/Pax aren't that dumb. When LeBron agreed, decisions had to be made, there were back up plans. It's not like the Bulls can easily send this package for another star. It's pretty much Love or bust for a few teams.

At some point, all franchises need to put an end to the rumors, etc, and prepare for the season.

Boy the Bulls are so good at getting fans excited and then not delivering. Bulls fans have more collective blue balls than any other NBA fan base.

Although in this case, not delivering wouldn't be a huge issue for me. I'm content with the team as is. Getting Love is icing on the cake. Very rarely have the Bulls' FO been in a situation like this.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 01:31 PM)
At some point, all franchises need to put an end to the rumors, etc, and prepare for the season.

Yeah, but it's still 3 months until the season starts. Again, if there were other targets, other options for these teams, I would think it would be important to get it done quickly. But there is not. If any of the teams after Love don't get him, their only acquistions between now and when the season starts will be minor anyways. Maybe they have said, put your best offer on the table, we are making our decision in the next couple of days, but Cowley said the Bulls made a deadline. If all of this is true, we all know that deadline isn't real.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 01:34 PM)
Boy the Bulls are so good at getting fans excited and then not delivering. Bulls fans have more collective blue balls than any other NBA fan base.

Although in this case, not delivering wouldn't be a huge issue for me. I'm content with the team as is. Getting Love is icing on the cake. Very rarely have the Bulls' FO been in a situation like this.

They aren't even the biggest cock tease in Chicago as long as the Cubs are still around

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 01:27 PM)
I understand that, but exactly how does cutting the auction short help Minnesota?

What helps Minnesota is getting the most they can for Kevin Love. If they like the offer, then they take it. If they don't, well, they don't.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 07:27 PM)

It doesn't help minnesota with anything other than "they were offered a nice package from love" and they can accept it.

For the Bulls, I think in their minds they've put their chips in, they are making a run, and if they don't get it, they are rolling with their original plan of depth.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 01:39 PM)
What helps Minnesota is getting the most they can for Kevin Love. If they like the offer, then they take it. If they don't, well, they don't.

They want to get the most they can, so they make sure this "offer" gets out there, and sit back and wait to see if the Cavs or some other team is willing to top it. Just saying, "we'll take it" isn't maximizing their return unless they have exhausted all their other options.

If this offer is real and Minnesota is satisfied, and sure this is the max, they would have accepted it. They want to see if they can get more. Do you really think if on the day before training camp opens and Love is still a T-Wolf, Flip tells Gar he will take the deal, Gar would say too late?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 01:46 PM)
They want to get the most they can, so they make sure this "offer" gets out there, and sit back and wait to see if the Cavs or some other team is willing to top it. Just saying, "we'll take it" isn't maximizing their return unless they have exhausted all their other options.

If this offer is real and Minnesota is satisfied, and sure this is the max, they would have accepted it. They want to see if they can get more. Do you really think if on the day before training camp opens and Love is still a T-Wolf, Flip tells Gar he will take the deal, Gar would say too late?

Knowing the Bulls? Yes.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 01:48 PM)
Man it would be awesome to stick it to Lebron by foiling his plan to get Love AND hopefully dominate his Cavs team for the next couple of seasons.

We all know that the above scenario will never happen. LeBron will get his way.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 06:46 PM)

Honestly? Maybe. Maybe Gar will just try to roll the dice in free agency. Salary cap may jump huge next year.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 06:51 PM)
We all know that the above scenario will never happen. LeBron will get his way.

It really bothers me still that the cavs were allowed to fail so miserably into championship consideration.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 01:52 PM)
It really bothers me still that the cavs were allowed to fail so miserably into championship consideration.

That does suck, but their franchise player got stolen by a bunch of turds from Miami, so whatevs.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 07:55 PM)
That does suck, but their franchise player got stolen by a bunch of turds from Miami, so whatevs.

But he also left because their front office/org was so inept.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 02:09 PM)
But he also left because their front office/org was so inept.

And he went to a team that was completely f***ed as well, so much so that they had s*** on their roster save an oft-injured Dwyane Wade and Michael Beasley. It's just the fact that three studs in their prime decided to win a ring together and picked Miami as the inept franchise of choice.

It's Cleveland. We have that going for us. Something has to go wrong, right?