2014-2015 NBA thread

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Top comment on Reddit is really insightful and smart: This is really close to their initial offer of Taj, the rights to Mirotic, and their 2014 #1 picks.

I don't think this news is new at all, it's just being spelled out in a different way (by Minnesota) to put a match under the ass of Cleveland.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 07:30 PM)
And he went to a team that was completely f***ed as well, so much so that they had s*** on their roster save an oft-injured Dwyane Wade and Michael Beasley. It's just the fact that three studs in their prime decided to win a ring together and picked Miami as the inept franchise of choice.

It's Cleveland. We have that going for us. Something has to go wrong, right?

Dude, no, do not compare an org that convinced 3 superstars (at the time) to take less money to join, made 4 straight finals, got players like Birdman off scrap heap, signed battier and ray allen that led to 2 finals wins, to Cleveland.

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 07:34 PM)
Top comment on Reddit is really insightful and smart: This is really close to their initial offer of Taj, the rights to Mirotic, and their 2014 #1 picks.

I don't think this news is new at all, it's just being spelled out in a different way (by Minnesota) to put a match under the ass of Cleveland.

From what I understand that wasn't their initial offer, their initial offer was Taj/Snell/Picks. Mirotic is different now that he's actually here, and 16 and 19 became a player the wolves apparently covet. Which I can see Saunders falling in love with a smart 4 year college player.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 02:48 PM)
From what I understand that wasn't their initial offer, their initial offer was Taj/Snell/Picks. Mirotic is different now that he's actually here, and 16 and 19 became a player the wolves apparently covet. Which I can see Saunders falling in love with a smart 4 year college player.

I was in, and now I'm out. Wake me when Love's in Cleveland. I'm not getting sucked into this s*** again.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 02:46 PM)
Dude, no, do not compare an org that convinced 3 superstars (at the time) to take less money to join, made 4 straight finals, got players like Birdman off scrap heap, signed battier and ray allen that led to 2 finals wins, to Cleveland.

Hasn't this been debunked once you factor in tax savings + endorsements gained from winning rings?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 02:46 PM)
They want to get the most they can, so they make sure this "offer" gets out there, and sit back and wait to see if the Cavs or some other team is willing to top it. Just saying, "we'll take it" isn't maximizing their return unless they have exhausted all their other options.

If this offer is real and Minnesota is satisfied, and sure this is the max, they would have accepted it. They want to see if they can get more. Do you really think if on the day before training camp opens and Love is still a T-Wolf, Flip tells Gar he will take the deal, Gar would say too late?

One thing worth thinking about is that sometime during October the Bulls are likely to be in heavy discussions to extend Jimmy Butler and that would definitely play into whether or not something could get done.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 02:49 PM)
I was in, and now I'm out. Wake me when Love's in Cleveland. I'm not getting sucked into this s*** again.

That's what it appears. It seems the Bulls have gone from being used by free agents to now being used by other teams.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 03:55 PM)
Hasn't this been debunked once you factor in tax savings + endorsements gained from winning rings?

I think most people believe Lebron lost a ton in endorsements in the first 2 years and maybe through the whole thing by turning himself into a villain that people didn't want to root for.

People have made a habit of noting how few Lebron commercials there are during the playoffs compared to guys like Blake Griffin or Chris Paul.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 02:55 PM)

So? They all still took less money than what they could have gotten. It doesn't matter if the endorsements made up for that.

QUOTE (TRU @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 02:58 PM)
So? They all still took less money than what they could have gotten. It doesn't matter if the endorsements made up for that.

Yes, but they only are taking money out of their heirs' pockets. I'm sure they already have more money than they will ever spend.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 07:55 PM)

That is irrelevant, it's kind of like prisoners dilemma. They could have just one signed in miami for max, then you have tax savings + same endorsements? Does Lebron not get galaxy S4 or beats if he's in Cleveland? I doubt it.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 11:52 AM)
Plus for Gar's credibility in the league he can't state a deadline and then not follow through with it. Maybe once, but not as a matter of practice.

I think GM's put deadlines out there all the time. I think the key is standing pat on what you are willing to give up, etc. The amount of misinformation out there this off-season is crazy so at this point, I'll just sit back and wait. As much as i've knocked on Love for his weaknesses and why I don't think he's a top 5 player, I would make the trade offered in a heart beat and root him on and hope they can win multiple championships. I am a huge fan of Klove.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 01:18 PM)
Oh boy....Gonna laugh it's something weak like signing Robbie Hummel.

And it was Hummel.

Timberwolves PR @Twolves_PR · 39s

Due to overwhelming demand, we'll go ahead & spill the news now: The #Twolves have signed forward Robbie Hummel. Welcome back, Robbie!

QUOTE (TRU @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 02:58 PM)

But it wasn't like they all took 30 million less. It was a couple million a year. In the grand scheme that's nothing, that's all i'm saying. There wasn't some huge sacrifice that deserves praise.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 03:22 PM)
And it was Hummel.

Timberwolves PR @Twolves_PR · 39s

Due to overwhelming demand, we'll go ahead & spill the news now: The #Twolves have signed forward Robbie Hummel. Welcome back, Robbie!

Valpolicious.