2014-2015 NBA thread

Why is Wiggins the easy choice? Weren't pundits talking about possibly trading that #1 pick for 2 top tens in a loaded draft? That's essentially what Minnesota is getting here, plus a really good player in Taj.

IMO that beats a deal involving Wiggins and scrap. Cavs have to offer up Bennett and some first round picks in order for me to pull the trigger on that deal over the Bulls. Especially if Flip wants to "win" now and compete for a playoff spot.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 11:14 AM)
Your posting as if this pursuit of Kevin Love is 24 hours old when it's actually 17,500 hours old.

So, 6 months ago, what should the bulls have offered?

Some people just need a scapegoat. The Bulls FO has made numerous mistakes in the past, but the 2010 and 2014 FA periods are not on the list.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 11:14 AM)
Your posting as if this pursuit of Kevin Love is 24 hours old when it's actually 17,500 hours old.

And what exactly did the Bulls have the last 2 years they could have traded for Love, who didn't have to traded whatsoever. He's expressed displeasure with their FO in the past, but never demanded a trade...Nor has he this year for that matter.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 11:15 AM)
Why is Wiggins the easy choice? Weren't pundits talking about possibly trading that #1 pick for 2 top tens in a loaded draft? That's essentially what Minnesota is getting here, plus a really good player in Taj.

IMO that beats a deal involving Wiggins and scrap. Cavs have to offer up Bennett and some first round picks in order for me to pull the trigger on that deal over the Bulls. Especially if Flip wants to "win" now and compete for a playoff spot.

And I tend to agree with this as well, but that's just me. If I were the Twolves I'd take the better package over the better player. Bulls package IMO is better. I can certainly see the argument for taking the best player though, it's not what I'd do, but it makes some sense.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 11:16 AM)
So, 6 months ago, what should the bulls have offered?

Some people just need a scapegoat. The Bulls FO has made numerous mistakes in the past, but the 2010 and 2014 FA periods are not on the list.

No one was even blaming the Bulls front office. Scs just gets weirdly defensive of them. It's bizarre.

But I'll play now. Really the Bulls had similar assets as to what they have now. Gibson, Butler, rights to Mirotic, 2 first round picks. What potentially screwed us was waiting to focus on Love. The Cavs got Wiggins and Lebron.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 11:24 AM)
No one was even blaming the Bulls front office. Scs just gets weirdly defensive of them. It's bizarre.

But I'll play now. Really the Bulls had similar assets as to what they have now. Gibson, Butler, rights to Mirotic, 2 first round picks. What potentially screwed us was waiting to focus on Love. The Cavs got Wiggins and Lebron.

Waiting was for Melo though. I think that's a reasonable move. He's the much better fit.

I just find posts like "It's the Bulls FO, they have a 0% chance of making it happen" to be ridiculous and I explain why I feel that why. Why is that so bizarre? This is a message board right?

Last year I was talking about trading for Love and people told me the TWolves "weren't trading him", and "they had no reason to trade him"....There's a reson why this is the first year we are actually hearing Love rumors. Previously it was just a pipe dream.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 11:15 AM)

In an NBA trade quality is always better than quantity. Always.

The Bulls didn't wait on Love. They have been making ever improving offers for the entire off season if you believe the press.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 11:56 AM)
In an NBA trade quality is always better than quantity. Always.

Nope. Denver won the Melo trade over New York.

And especially nope when you're talking about prospects who haven't played a single NBA game yet.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 04:59 PM)

And especially nope when you're talking about prospects who haven't played a single NBA game yet.

That's not a good analogy. The Nuggets are the Twolves in this scenario. You would be comparing the knicks offer to other teams and I honestly don't remember what other rumored offers were at the time.

And honestly, even if they won, I'm pretty sure most NBA teams still would have rather been NYK in that scenario. You don't want to be a team that a star is begging to leave.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 11:59 AM)

So you wouldn't have taken LeBron James in a trade for a star player right after he was drafted?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 12:03 PM)
That's not a good analogy. The Nuggets are the Twolves in this scenario. You would be comparing the knicks offer to other teams and I honestly don't remember what other rumored offers were at the time.

And honestly, even if they won, I'm pretty sure most NBA teams still would have rather been NYK in that scenario. You don't want to be a team that a star is begging to leave.

I don't know why that matters. I'm disagreeing with the general proposition that quality is ALWAYS better than quantity. 15 crap players for Lebron isn't a good deal, but 3 all-stars for Lebron might be.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 12:04 PM)
So you wouldn't have taken LeBron James in a trade for a star player right after he was drafted?

I think Lebron's hype was more believable than Wiggins. Wiggins could be an absolute bust in the NBA given the expectations that have been put on him.

Does anyone really think he's a franchise guy? Or just a freak athlete that COULD become an all-star?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 12:27 PM)
I don't know why that matters. I'm disagreeing with the general proposition that quality is ALWAYS better than quantity. 15 crap players for Lebron isn't a good deal, but 3 all-stars for Lebron might be.

If you are getting the best player in the NBA, you make that trade every single day. Such is the NBA that you can always fill in around stars. You can't always get stars.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 09:37 AM)
At this point you'd be trading 3 bench players for a top 10 player in the league. It's a simplistic way to look at it but it also makes you realize how much of a no brainer it really is.

win

That said, the deal isn't happening.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 10:37 AM)
This thread was actually goin good....Sigh.

If Wiggins is involved and they (The Wolves) think he's gonna be a star, what can you do? If the reports of the trade offer is true they're putting forth one helluva effort, much like they did with Melo, and I can't fault them for not getting it done,

Well, this is the same front office that sat on their hands many a time before preaching team and playing it safe. This is the same front office that didn't go after Kevin Love until after Andrew Wiggins was already on the table (despite the fact that, for the right offer, he was highly available while they were trying to pry a player away from his hometown and the biggest city in the country and offering $50 million less to do so).

There's plenty of blame for the front office, here.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 12:32 PM)
If you are getting the best player in the NBA, you make that trade every single day. Such is the NBA that you can always fill in around stars. You can't always get stars.

Lebron isn't better than 3 other all-star quality players.

I agree with you that the majority of the time quality>quantity, but I'm taking 2 top ten picks over an overall pick most of the time. It's the safer bet with a bigger upside.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 12:36 PM)
Well, this is the same front office that sat on their hands many a time before preaching team and playing it safe. This is the same front office that didn't go after Kevin Love until after Andrew Wiggins was already on the table (despite the fact that, for the right offer, he was highly available while they were trying to pry a player away from his hometown and the biggest city in the country and offering $50 million less to do so).

How do you know this wasn't being done?

edit: and it's not a mistake to go after Melo over Love. They knew Love wasn't getting traded anytime soon, so they went after their primary target first.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 12:36 PM)

If you believe the previous reports that's simply not true, I don't remember what the offer was but they supposedly did indeed have an offer in to the TWolves before the draft.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 06:36 PM)

Also, the Kyle Korver for literally nothing trade happens because of things like the 2014 plan. They got rid of Korver, tried to fill him with Belli and now MDJ. I'd much rather have Korver on the contract he now has than MDJ. You can't just look at things in isolation and say "wellp, they did the best they could" when they fielded a purposefully worse team in order to hit a home run this offseason. I'm excited about this team for what it is. But am still very worried that come playoff defense time, the same standing around and inability to penetrate will happen.

I'm really excited for Taj's growth, Mirotic, and McBuckets but the only way you don't do this trade is if you have an actual magical crystal ball that tells you McD becomes the best shooter in the NBA and Mirotic becomes Love but with better defense and likely less rebounding.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 06:43 PM)
If you believe the previous reports that's simply not true, I don't remember what the offer was but they supposedly did indeed have an offer in to the TWolves before the draft.

Gibson + Snell + Picks.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 12:46 PM)
I'm really excited for Taj's growth

Dude's 29 f***ing years old and a whopping 4 months younger than Joakim Noah - I don't think people realize that. He's going to get about the same minutes he did last year. What growth, exactly, are you or anyone else expecting?