2014-2015 NBA thread

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 10:07 AM)
Carmelo Anthony would reportedly drop the no-trade clause in his newly signed five-year, $125 million contract if Phil Jackson could strike a deal with a team he'd be interested in joining.

LOL. Oh, Melo. You greedy b****. Enjoy 15 wins.

Hopefully GarPax got a good laugh out of that one.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 11:49 AM)
Bulls couldn't fit him in the salary unless we trade both Taj and Mirotic. Who the f*** would do that

Well one other way, Rose for Melo. It'd be shocking, but I wouldn't say I didn't see it coming.

Do they have to match salaries if they're willing to pay the tax?

I'd give up McDermott, Snell and some draft picks for him.

http://nypost.com/2014/12/12/carmelo-antho...-clause-source/

Although there is this:

A trade to a contender would be a financial boon to Anthony as he has a trade kicker attached to his contract that is worth 15 percent of the remaining value at the time of the deal. That kicker was put in place by Anthony’s handlers to deter teams from approaching the Knicks about Anthony. He would receive a lump-sum payment of roughly $17.5 million if he is traded Monday.

I would think that would make him nearly untradeable.

I hate to defend Melo because I'm not a fan of his game but really, who here would leave $70 million on the table? I know it'd be hard for me to do that if I were in his shoes, especially considering that the team I'd be joining has a superstar that can't stay healthy and might never be the same player he was. Other than that, yeah Lol @ the Knicks :lol:

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 01:12 PM)
I hate to defend Melo because I'm not a fan of his game but really, who here would leave $70 million on the table? I know it'd be hard for me to do that if I were in his shoes, especially considering that the team I'd be joining has a superstar that can't stay healthy and might never be the same player he was. Other than that, yeah Lol @ the Knicks :lol:

I completely agree with you, just don't say you're all about winning. Don't get me wrong, everyone says that but I'd have so much more respect for some of these guys if they just said "ya, I'm not leaving that much money on the table" instead of lying about it.

It wasn't that much. It was ~20 million, which he could have gotten after one year and after an extension by any of the teams that wanted to sign him. It was 20 million guaranteed, but frankly you're signing a 100 million + contract on top of all of the other money he's made/makes/will make in endorsements. 20 million isn't an astronomical figure.

And he probably gave up more money by signing that deal because with the next CBA the max contracts are all going to go up. His best bet would have been to sign a one year deal and decide this off season what to do. Now that's gambling that he doesn't suffer some career-ending injury, but what are the odds that happens?

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 11:49 AM)
Bulls couldn't fit him in the salary unless we trade both Taj and Mirotic. Who the f*** would do that

Well one other way, Rose for Melo. It'd be shocking, but I wouldn't say I didn't see it coming.

I'd trade Noah for him. Noah isn't very good right now, is always injured, and will want $15 million per year starting in 2016. I'd absolutely sacrifice Noah/Dunleavy/picks for Carmelo.

The Bulls offered him multiple avenues to collect the most money possible from them. He would have left about 20M on the table, not 70M.

Its not about the money though, right? Its about building a legacy and winning. Except when you dont, and then its time to float to the media how you want out

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 10:07 AM)
Carmelo Anthony would reportedly drop the no-trade clause in his newly signed five-year, $125 million contract if Phil Jackson could strike a deal with a team he'd be interested in joining.

LOL. Oh, Melo. You greedy b****. Enjoy 15 wins.

doesn't he need knee surgery?

I honestly wonder if he would have left if he had this season as a part of his perspective.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 04:52 PM)
I honestly wonder if he would have left if he had this season as a part of his perspective.

Seriously, how is this different from last year for the Knicks? They hated their coach, switched GMs, clearly had nothing on their roster long term and were playing for cap space several years away.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 03:54 PM)
Seriously, how is this different from last year for the Knicks? They hated their coach, switched GMs, clearly had nothing on their roster long term and were playing for cap space several years away.

They weren't 4-19. They were bad, but not this bad.

They're in a better spot this year because they're so bad they'll be in the lottery. But they still don't have many picks in the upcoming seasons. And I don't see major FA like Gasol or Durant going there to play with Melo. It's going to be a looooong rebuild.

Sometimes I feel bad for Knicks fans because they're the Bears of the NBA. But then I remember they're in New York and they're terrible, obnoxious fans, so it doesn't last long.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 12:15 PM)
Do they have to match salaries if they're willing to pay the tax?

I'd give up McDermott, Snell and some draft picks for him.

http://nypost.com/2014/12/12/carmelo-antho...-clause-source/

Although there is this:

I would think that would make him nearly untradeable.

Salary matching and luxury tax are independent of each other.

And yikes on the trade kicker. No chance anyone would touch that.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 01:28 PM)
I'd trade Noah for him. Noah isn't very good right now, is always injured, and will want $15 million per year starting in 2016. I'd absolutely sacrifice Noah/Dunleavy/picks for Carmelo.

Between Noah and Rose, I'd trade Rose for him. This team will lose its identify without Noah. Good point guards are aplenty these days. DPOY caliber big men are hard to replace, especially in Thibs system.