2014-2015 NBA thread

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 01:12 PM)
I'm guessing he invested heavily all over the world to protect himself against this very realistic issue with Russian's currency.

Isnt he an oil and natural gas Oligarch? Their economy may be going into the crapper, but if he holds on to that stuff, he will probably be ok

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 11:16 AM)
Isnt he an oil and natural gas Oligarch? Their economy may be going into the crapper, but if he holds on to that stuff, he will probably be ok

Is that sarcastic or semi sarcastic? Oil has dropped in half in like 3 months and all signs point to it continuing to further crash. Long-term, value will still be there and it will eventually recover (as demand grows and some of the other avenues of supply drop out due to them no longer being cost efficient, prices will recover a bit) but I would not say that with him invested in that, that he is in a good position from a pure liquidity perspective...very much the exact opposite, which is probably why he wants to pull cash from his basketball franchise (whose value isn't near as deflated as say the Russian economy or oil).

PS: I have no familiarity with his actual investments...just going on what was stated in here.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 01:21 PM)
Is that sarcastic or semi sarcastic? Oil has dropped in half in like 3 months and all signs point to it continuing to further crash. Long-term, value will still be there and it will eventually recover (as demand grows and some of the other avenues of supply drop out due to them no longer being cost efficient, prices will recover a bit) but I would not say that with him invested in that, that he is in a good position from a pure liquidity perspective...very much the exact opposite, which is probably why he wants to pull cash from his basketball franchise (whose value isn't near as deflated as say the Russian economy or oil).

PS: I have no familiarity with his actual investments...just going on what was stated in here.

FWIW, I am looking at buying intermediate term crude oil call options. The contra-trader in me keeps thinking that there is no way oil stays this low for a long time.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 13, 2015 -> 11:23 AM)
FWIW, I am looking at buying intermediate term crude oil call options. The contra-trader in me keeps thinking that there is no way oil stays this low for a long time.

It will eventually move but I think it will be a long time (3-5 year) before we see any sustainable increases. I think we'll see oil bottom out around 25 and hover in the 30-40 range for quite a while. At some point the higher cost outfits will go under, demand will increase (along with your decreased supply) and prices will recover. However, in this current era, unless the Saudi's take an abrupt hike from their planned policy, nothing is going to stop the short to medium term drop, imo.

The real question is when will that recovery happen (cause Mike...like you, it will definitely happen...I don't know that it will get back, adjusted for inflation, to the high's of this era.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 12:08 AM)
So.....Cleveland is under .500 almost half-way through the season.

But they are going to the ECFs!

I don't look like quite the idiot now when I kept saying during the summer that they wouldn't be that good this year

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 11:59 AM)
But they are going to the ECFs!

I don't look like quite the idiot now when I kept saying during the summer that they wouldn't be that good this year

Chill out dude. The Bulls aren't the lock you think they would be as well. The Cavs will be in the thick and thin of the road to ECF with a healthy Lebron.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 01:34 PM)
Chill out dude. The Bulls aren't the lock you think they would be as well. The Cavs will be in the thick and thin of the road to ECF with a healthy Lebron.

No they won't. A healthy LeBron can't change the fact that the Cavs have weak bigs, a healthy LeBron won't help Kyrie and KLove not suck on defense, a healthy LeBron can't change the fact that the East top teams are actually good this year...

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 02:04 PM)
No they won't. A healthy LeBron can't change the fact that the Cavs have weak bigs, a healthy LeBron won't help Kyrie and KLove not suck on defense, a healthy LeBron can't change the fact that the East top teams are actually good this year...

Back to the "he has no help" meme.

Can we figure out how to get DRose to not suck at defense. He used to be elite their (and always was underrated) and right now is as bad as it gets. I think the biggest problem of our defense is what opposing point guards have been able to do and how much it has put the rest of our defense in horrific positions.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 03:15 PM)
Can we figure out how to get DRose to not suck at defense. He used to be elite their (and always was underrated) and right now is as bad as it gets. I think the biggest problem of our defense is what opposing point guards have been able to do and how much it has put the rest of our defense in horrific positions.

Go back in time and make both of his knees not explode, then have him focus on that instead of ugly three point jump shots.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 03:15 PM)

When you have as much talent as he has, defense is all between the ears.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 01:20 PM)
When you have as much talent as he has, defense is all between the ears.

I think right now he just looks goofy and still looks like he is thinking about his knees a lot and being in crowded areas / traffic and as a result doesn't always take the right angle / make the right decision from a defensive perspective. He also looks like he is "coasting" way too much on defense.