2014-2015 NBA thread

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 20, 2015 -> 10:50 AM)
But why should his teammates listen when Rose himself isn't leading by example. I understand he's quiet off the court, but if you know the problem is guys are not talking on court, then start enforcing the habit himself before calling guys out. Being the highest paid guy and having your name called at last during player introductions comes with a little bit more responsibility.

I am reading that the internally guys are dividing and some are not pleased with Rose's leadership. It might just be rumors, but pulling off s*** like this isn't going to help. The TNT crew last night thought that this should be something Rose should have said internally to his teammates, and I agree with that.

1. He is leading by example. He's been playing fairly well.

2. Not talking on the court isn't the sole issue obviously.

3. tnt crew isn't the brightest bunch.

I'm fine with him voicing his frustration. Should do more good than any harm it could. And he didn't single anyone out. Fact is, the team is playing s***ty. Up to them and thibs to play harder.

Where are you reading about this displeasure from teammates with Rose?

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Jan 20, 2015 -> 03:36 PM)
1. He is leading by example. He's been playing fairly well.

2. Not talking on the court isn't the sole issue obviously.

3. tnt crew isn't the brightest bunch.

I'm fine with him voicing his frustration. Should do more good than any harm it could. And he didn't single anyone out. Fact is, the team is playing s***ty. Up to them and thibs to play harder.

Where are you reading about this displeasure from teammates with Rose?

It's one of the first issues even Rose admitted to. http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story/_/id/...on-sixth-loss-8

The issue is bigger than you would think. Boozer as bad as he was is a vocal guy and called out a lot of the rotations in years past. Gasol doesn't do the same, as evident they have been really bad this year in rotations, traps, doubling, and defending pick and rolls.

Whether Rose was calling out guys for not communicating, hustling on defense, or rebounding, I haven't seen him doing his part to make a difference. And up till the last 4 games or so, he was historically bad shooting the ball. I think if you go out and put your teammates on the spot but you're not even doing your part, it hurts more than it helps.

Edit: The Rose and teammates rift was speculated over at Realgm. Some players as well as Thibs are not pleased with Jen Swanson sending in notes for Rose and Noah to take a lighter practice or taking days off.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 01:08 PM)
Gar texted Cowley and said that Thibs is safe, and his job status is a non story. Woj went pretty hard at Sheridan this morning too, on Mully and Hanley

What did Woj go hard at Sheridan about this morning? And why the hell would Thibs job status be a story. A lot of this crap that gets reported is pure crap...I swear. Bulls just need to focus on themselves and getting this stuff cleaned up and it will all be forgotten a month from now. 2 - 3 weeks ago we were looking like the best team in the league. We got hit with some injuries and have had some garbage efforts and looked bad...they will figure it out.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 01:26 PM)
I have had the thought lately that maybe Thibs has lost the team. For that type of coach, there is usually an expiration date where players keep listening. I don't know if that is what has happened, or not, but it crossed my mind.

It sounds like they started to believe the media and outsiders and that they could win without putting in all the effort they used to, etc, and started sleep walking through games and I presume practices. Taj has had a couple pointed quotes on this subject and said they are starting to figure out that isn't the case. I'm hoping this is more the stage where the players are getting a little more brazen and now are learning that the coach is right and are going to move back in line with the general "coach" speak and that Thibbs is almost kind of giving them this longer leash to take the beatings because it will help him down the road.

Early in the season, the quotes were contradictory (between what Thibbs was saying and some of the guys)...now it seems like everyone else is moving closer to the Thibbs line which is what we've seen in years past. I think a lot of this was also stemmed by internal management pushing some of this edicts down as well. I'm also curious what would be happening if Noah was 100%, which he clearly isn't right now. He is the team leader and I think Gasol has really taken him out of his element and comfort zone and neutralized a lot of what he does well. I don't know if it is Gasol but I think it kind of is and I think the Bulls need to be more careful when Noah comes back as to how they are going to run the units. I think we should see more of Noah / Taj and than switch to the European duo (even though the defense will suffer when the Euro duo is on the court).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 03:11 PM)
What did Woj go hard at Sheridan about this morning? And why the hell would Thibs job status be a story. A lot of this crap that gets reported is pure crap...I swear. Bulls just need to focus on themselves and getting this stuff cleaned up and it will all be forgotten a month from now. 2 - 3 weeks ago we were looking like the best team in the league. We got hit with some injuries and have had some garbage efforts and looked bad...they will figure it out.

Sheridan reported that Thibs is on the hot seat, and Woj said it was false and that none of his sources indicate that Thibs job is in jeopardy

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 03:35 PM)
It sounds like they started to believe the media and outsiders and that they could win without putting in all the effort they used to, etc, and started sleep walking through games and I presume practices. Taj has had a couple pointed quotes on this subject and said they are starting to figure out that isn't the case. I'm hoping this is more the stage where the players are getting a little more brazen and now are learning that the coach is right and are going to move back in line with the general "coach" speak and that Thibbs is almost kind of giving them this longer leash to take the beatings because it will help him down the road.

Early in the season, the quotes were contradictory (between what Thibbs was saying and some of the guys)...now it seems like everyone else is moving closer to the Thibbs line which is what we've seen in years past. I think a lot of this was also stemmed by internal management pushing some of this edicts down as well. I'm also curious what would be happening if Noah was 100%, which he clearly isn't right now. He is the team leader and I think Gasol has really taken him out of his element and comfort zone and neutralized a lot of what he does well. I don't know if it is Gasol but I think it kind of is and I think the Bulls need to be more careful when Noah comes back as to how they are going to run the units. I think we should see more of Noah / Taj and than switch to the European duo (even though the defense will suffer when the Euro duo is on the court).

See, i think it all has to do with

(1) Rose becoming more prominent in the offense, lessening Butler's effectiveness. On top of Butler just having a down stretch. I'm concerned that the more Rose goes back to being MVP-Rose, the worse the team will actually be. It becomes one on one ball, not team ball.

(2) Gasol coming back to reality and getting tired. His boxing out the last few games has been embarrassing. Cavs players were just running around him to secure the rebound.

(3) Noah. Even when he played this year he hasn't been all that effective. I hope it's the injury and not that he's lost a step.

(4) Mirotic coming back down to earth. That stretch of big games against a few top teams he was shooting like 60% from three. At one point he hit 13 or so in a row. Now he's down to like 30% the last two weeks.

The defense has been god-awful for a Thibs team, but the offense has been equally terrible. They've been shooting some terrible %'s the last couple of weeks.

I get depressed even reading this thread. I was so high on this team when it turned 2015 and thought they were just getting started.

OTOH, we may look back at this meaningless 3 week stretch before the all star break and laugh at how scared we were. At least I hope.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 03:26 PM)
I have had the thought lately that maybe Thibs has lost the team. For that type of coach, there is usually an expiration date where players keep listening. I don't know if that is what has happened, or not, but it crossed my mind.

I honestly couldn't foresee a Thibs-less Bulls a short time ago. It just seems inevitable to me at this point. Thibs is a good coach. Not a great coach. He rides his players too hard. I was actually surprised Gasol signed here given Thibs rep.

I mean this is the new era NBA where you rest players that aren't hurt. I think that would make Thibs head explode.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 03:57 PM)
I get depressed even reading this thread. I was so high on this team when it turned 2015 and thought they were just getting started.

OTOH, we may look back at this meaningless 3 week stretch before the all star break and laugh at how scared we were. At least I hope.

I think it's safe to say that even if they get back to that level, it's not going to be a cake walk to the Finals. Atlanta is really, really good. And for some reason the Wizards have the Bull's #.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 03:59 PM)
I think it's safe to say that even if they get back to that level, it's not going to be a cake walk to the Finals. Atlanta is really, really good. And for some reason the Wizards have the Bull's #.

Absolutely. Atlanta is quite clearly the best team in the East, and would absolutely be great in the west as well.

Sigh. Do you remember some of those possessions in December where we'd whip around 5 passes to an open 3 pointer? If it's there it can always be recovered right?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 01:56 PM)
See, i think it all has to do with

(1) Rose becoming more prominent in the offense, lessening Butler's effectiveness. On top of Butler just having a down stretch. I'm concerned that the more Rose goes back to being MVP-Rose, the worse the team will actually be. It becomes one on one ball, not team ball.

(2) Gasol coming back to reality and getting tired. His boxing out the last few games has been embarrassing. Cavs players were just running around him to secure the rebound.

(3) Noah. Even when he played this year he hasn't been all that effective. I hope it's the injury and not that he's lost a step.

(4) Mirotic coming back down to earth. That stretch of big games against a few top teams he was shooting like 60% from three. At one point he hit 13 or so in a row. Now he's down to like 30% the last two weeks.

The defense has been god-awful for a Thibs team, but the offense has been equally terrible. They've been shooting some terrible %'s the last couple of weeks.

Offensively, I think the big hit came from MJD going out. With our starting lineup he really spreads and spaces things out and moves extremely well without the ball and ultimately makes very crisp passes and decisions. With Snell in, we are talking serious downgrade from all aspects (even defensively). Plug that with Noah being out and Rose having some of his bad games and still not being comfortable yet as a "point" guard and you can see why we have had some of these hiccups. I do think Rose's point guard play will improve as the season goes on. Its going to take a while and he won't be back to really being a point guard until next year, imo, but he'll be a lot better by the end of the season than he is now. His play is so predictable right now...long jumper or a drive and a wild jump pass out or wild shot or a quick pick and roll out to Pau (which is actually a good play for us and is something we should do more with Mirotic who plays that stretch 4 role better).

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 02:02 PM)
Absolutely. Atlanta is quite clearly the best team in the East, and would absolutely be great in the west as well.

Sigh. Do you remember some of those possessions in December where we'd whip around 5 passes to an open 3 pointer? If it's there it can always be recovered right?

Of course...one of the best passers on this team has been out in that stretch and his replacement is Tony f***ing Snell. I really don't think MDJ gets enough props for what he means to this unit. He is no star or anything but he really helps make the offense go. I still vote to move Pau to the 2nd unit and go with Taj / Noah once Noah is ready till Noah can get some comfort. He's just having a hard ass time with Gasol in the game and Noah and Taj's ability to defend all things is what really made our defense elite all these years (well one of the many things but those guys have been critical).

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 04:03 PM)
Will Dunleavy and McDermott make a huge difference right now?

No. Dunleavy is good for about 1 game out of 10 when he hits some good shots. McDermott has been a non-factor in every game he's played.

What better happen out of this is more minutes for Moore. If he doesn't start playing more minutes than Hinrich, Thibs should get blasted by the reporters. That's just a no brainer at this point.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 04:04 PM)
Offensively, I think the big hit came from MJD going out. With our starting lineup he really spreads and spaces things out and moves extremely well without the ball and ultimately makes very crisp passes and decisions. With Snell in, we are talking serious downgrade from all aspects (even defensively). Plug that with Noah being out and Rose having some of his bad games and still not being comfortable yet as a "point" guard and you can see why we have had some of these hiccups. I do think Rose's point guard play will improve as the season goes on. Its going to take a while and he won't be back to really being a point guard until next year, imo, but he'll be a lot better by the end of the season than he is now. His play is so predictable right now...long jumper or a drive and a wild jump pass out or wild shot or a quick pick and roll out to Pau (which is actually a good play for us and is something we should do more with Mirotic who plays that stretch 4 role better).

The only think I'll say is this:

We would win games last year without Hinrich/Deng/Taj and rolling out DJ/Snell/Jimmy/Taj/Noah. That we can't win with combos of Pau Gasol/Taj/Niko/Butler/Derrick freaking Rose/Kirk Hinrich is incredible to me, especially defensively.

That's why I'm so disappointed.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 02:08 PM)
The only think I'll say is this:

We would win games last year without Hinrich/Deng/Taj and rolling out DJ/Snell/Jimmy/Taj/Noah. That we can't win with combos of Pau Gasol/Taj/Niko/Butler/Derrick freaking Rose/Kirk Hinrich is incredible to me, especially defensively.

That's why I'm so disappointed.

Well I think part of that is most of the glue defensive guys continued to stay in the roster and were fine and at the same time, we had relatively good PG play, which hasn't happened right now (understandable because of Rose's rust). I also think during those times we had some pretty bad losses from what I remember as well, they just didn't come in such a tight window. This team has had pretty significant injuries and quite a few more key contributor's to the rotation than years past, imo. I think we have done a worse job plug and playing but it comes to the fact that some of the critical positions are being replaced with people who aren't near as familiar w/Thibbs system and are playing relatively critical roles in our defense.

Pau was never known for his consistent aggressiveness, etc. We as a team seem to have taken a lot of Pau's attitude vs. Noah's. I think a lot of that has to do with Noah not being 100%.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 21, 2015 -> 02:07 PM)
No. Dunleavy is good for about 1 game out of 10 when he hits some good shots. McDermott has been a non-factor in every game he's played.

What better happen out of this is more minutes for Moore. If he doesn't start playing more minutes than Hinrich, Thibs should get blasted by the reporters. That's just a no brainer at this point.

He's shooting 42% from three and 45% from the field. He's a very productive player.