2014-2015 NBA thread

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 31, 2015 -> 05:21 AM)
His PER and TS% is right in line with Michael Jordan.

The Wizards version. He's been painfully inefficient. Let's not even get into his defense.

Um no. His defense the past 2 weeks has actually been very good.

But the rest of his game is awful to watch. It's like watching a blind artist trying to paint a picture or in basketball terms, watching Javale McGee trying to play point guard. He is the opposite of being cerebral. There are only 2 things he is zoned in on, getting to the basket and throwing up wild acrobatic shots (refs arent doing with favor with the whistle) or keep chucking up ill-formed three point shots without regards to human life. His mid range game is gone, which is sad since he's still a good mid range shooter. The part that annoys me the most is whenever he gets in the painted area, he's always looking to score instead of dishing it off for easy baskets or dribble around the paint to break down the defense. When he does look to dish it off he, without failure, always throws these erratic jump passes that more often that not leads to turnovers. I think his basketball acumen this season has gotta to be the worst I've seen from a point guard ever since I started watching basketball.

I don't understand why they don't run the Rose and Gasol pick and pop play more often. That to me is the most effective play for this team.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 31, 2015 -> 10:12 AM)

But the rest of his game is awful to watch. It's like watching a blind artist trying to paint a picture or in basketball terms, watching Javale McGee trying to play point guard. He is the opposite of being cerebral. There are only 2 things he is zoned in on, getting to the basket and throwing up wild acrobatic shots (refs arent doing with favor with the whistle) or keep chucking up ill-formed three point shots without regards to human life. His mid range game is gone, which is sad since he's still a good mid range shooter. The part that annoys me the most is whenever he gets in the painted area, he's always looking to score instead of dishing it off for easy baskets or dribble around the paint to break down the defense. When he does look to dish it off he, without failure, always throws these erratic jump passes that more often that not leads to turnovers. I think his basketball acumen this season has gotta to be the worst I've seen from a point guard ever since I started watching basketball.

I don't understand why they don't run the Rose and Gasol pick and pop play more often. That to me is the most effective play for this team.

That was the first thing I thought of when we signed him. What a pick and roll combo.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 31, 2015 -> 10:12 AM)

ya that's the thing that's most disappointing to me so far into the season. didn't we hear all this constant talk of his basketball IQ when he was out? I mean you could argue he's playing with 3 all-stars too.

There's a reason I'm scared of the Wizards. Wall is leading the league in assists.

Having the basketball IQ to understand what's going on out there while you're hurt is a lot different than doing the right things at game speed. I'm okay with how Rose is doing. There is undeniably a dropoff, but he's playable and we often see flashes of that raw talent that made him special. He still does some stuff getting to and finishing around the hoop that keeps me hopeful that we'll be seeing the awesome version of him at some point in the future.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jan 30, 2015 -> 09:41 PM)
Golden State is getting curb stomped by the f***ing Jazz.

I'm biased being a Jazz fan but they have some young talent. Too bad they don't have a superstar in the making.

The Hawks are fun to watch. 3/5 of their starting lineup were playing in Utah a few seasons ago so that helps with liking to watch Atlanta.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 31, 2015 -> 01:39 PM)
Having the basketball IQ to understand what's going on out there while you're hurt is a lot different than doing the right things at game speed. I'm okay with how Rose is doing. There is undeniably a dropoff, but he's playable and we often see flashes of that raw talent that made him special. He still does some stuff getting to and finishing around the hoop that keeps me hopeful that we'll be seeing the awesome version of him at some point in the future.

I don't think you will see him playing more athletic than he does now, and we can agree that he's not the athlete he once was. 80-85% perhaps. And at 85%, is he good enough to help this team win? We got plenty of great athletes in the league nowadays, especially at his position. For a player who used to get by with athleticism, having his athleticism reduced to closer to the par of the league is the reason why he struggles to score at times.

At the end of the day, he needs to learn to play smarter, not harder. If he still relies on his athleticism to get by, he will hurt this team as much as he help this team. He's always one of those players that you wonder how his game will transform as he ages and loses a step. That point has come for him earlier than he or we would like, now we will see how he cope with his game.

Hawks win again. 17-0 in January. Amazing.

Make that 10 straight for the Cavs, who are now only a game behind the Bulls. They'll come down some. But this is clearly not the same team that was struggling 3 weeks ago. Defense is much improved. LeBron is in "witness" mode. And the two trades they made, especially the Mozgov one, addressed pretty much all of their weaknesses - size, depth, rim protection, etc. All they really lack now is a back-up pg.

reading more on the Thibs' situation, it is more of the same that been in the press 2 yrs ago. Gar and Thibs' problem with each other, the firing of Thibs' assistant coach and Thibs's habit of pushing the players.

this reporter had the point of mentioning that the bulls have the best defense in the nba and inspite of missing their key players they were a team to best and not to be taken for credit.

so is penchant for practice and pushing the players, is this too much for the team??? Thibs' feels that repetition and recurring practice of plays is needed to make it work.

opinions.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 31, 2015 -> 09:31 PM)
I don't think you will see him playing more athletic than he does now, and we can agree that he's not the athlete he once was. 80-85% perhaps. And at 85%, is he good enough to help this team win? We got plenty of great athletes in the league nowadays, especially at his position. For a player who used to get by with athleticism, having his athleticism reduced to closer to the par of the league is the reason why he struggles to score at times.

At the end of the day, he needs to learn to play smarter, not harder. If he still relies on his athleticism to get by, he will hurt this team as much as he help this team. He's always one of those players that you wonder how his game will transform as he ages and loses a step. That point has come for him earlier than he or we would like, now we will see how he cope with his game.

I don't really see any deficit in athleticism. It's just a matter of putting it all together, being a basketball player.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 11:11 AM)
Long break for the Bulls. Hopefully it is helpful and they can get some good practices (along with rest) in. I would have to think Dunleavy gets back and Dougie would start to get some minutes?

K.C. Johnson @KCJHoop · 3h 3 hours ago

Dunleavy didn't even practice.

:(

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 1, 2015 -> 08:23 PM)
I don't really see any deficit in athleticism. It's just a matter of putting it all together, being a basketball player.

The end to end speed isn't there anymore. In the past, you would watch him grab a rebound or an inbound pass and beat everyone down court for an easy layup, and you just tell yourself, that is the fastest guy in the NBA. I have not seen that from him at all this season.

A lot of the layups and easy basket he gave up on fastbreaks would have been chase down blocks in the past.

Just from the last Suns game, the soft one hand dunk he put down would have been a huge tomahawk dunk in years past. He was also blocked by Goran Dragic of all people at the rim for a layup.

You might say he's just conserving himself so he doesn't get hurt, but I've seen him tried pretty hard the past 2 weeks, he still a premium athlete, but not the once in a generation type of athlete that he was. That's why I said he has to learn to play smarter without being able to out-quick or out-jump everyone else.

I can see the DMD situation continuing to fuel the Thibs vs FO rift. GarPax are obviously high on Doug after trading two 1st, a 2nd, and absorbing Anthony Randolph just to get him. We clearly have a need for a shooter out there but Thibs is sticking to his old ways by either benching players who couldn't defend or redshirting his rookies. I could imagine Foreman trying to pitch for more playing time for Doug and Thibs is just blowing him off.

In fairness to Thibs, he was giving Dougie some minutes before his injury with the team at full strength. It's probably more about McDermott not being back into midseason form yet than Thibs's definitive judgment on his talent

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 06:05 PM)
I can see the DMD situation continuing to fuel the Thibs vs FO rift. GarPax are obviously high on Doug after trading two 1st, a 2nd, and absorbing Anthony Randolph just to get him. We clearly have a need for a shooter out there but Thibs is sticking to his old ways by either benching players who couldn't defend or redshirting his rookies. I could imagine Foreman trying to pitch for more playing time for Doug and Thibs is just blowing him off.

Supposedly Thibs was the one who really wanted Doug.

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 3, 2015 -> 12:21 AM)
In fairness to Thibs, he was giving Dougie some minutes before his injury with the team at full strength. It's probably more about McDermott not being back into midseason form yet than Thibs's definitive judgment on his talent

Not really. He was getting about 10 mins a game on average. It's obvious Thibbs makes rookies pay their dues for a season or so, even if they are a lottery pick.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 3, 2015 -> 09:16 AM)
Honestly, DMD just isn't that good at the moment. Yes, he should be playing with Dunleavy on the shelf but once Mike comes back I have no problem with McDermott riding the pine for now.

Lots of guys get basically a redshirt year as rookies with the Bulls. You can tell the kid has a ways to go still. He will be fine.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 3, 2015 -> 06:36 AM)
Not really. He was getting about 10 mins a game on average. It's obvious Thibbs makes rookies pay their dues for a season or so, even if they are a lottery pick.

I take those 10 minutes as a huge vote of confidence considering the extent to which we did not need him to play at all at that point in time