2014-2015 NBA thread

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Feb 15, 2015 -> 08:39 PM)
Yeah, for whatever reason he had several disappointing playoff runs. He had a couple decent postseasons, but there were wasted on iffy teams twice early in his career and another time they ran into the Jazz. He also missed the postseason in his 3rd year. He had a golden opportunity in 94-95.

I always thought guys like KG and Robinson had more trouble in the playoffs because they were big men that weren't true post players. Relying on shooting makes things harder in the playoffs.

Edited by Boogua

QUOTE (Boogua @ Feb 15, 2015 -> 08:48 PM)
I always thought guys like KG and Robinson had more trouble in the playoffs because they were big men that weren't true post players. Relying on shooting makes things harder in the playoffs.

This is a good point. For all the nostalgia over 90's centers. Other than Shaq, who played like a truly dominant post guy? Certainly not Robinson or Ewing. Hakeem to a lesser degree. But all these guys were shooting a lot of jumpers.

"He looks good. He looks really good. He's been out for two years, man. I know ya'll are expecting him to be right back to MVP-caliber play. Of course, he's an MVP-type player. But he's human, too. So being out for so long -- I know firsthand, injuries, rust is real. He's been out two years, man. He's starting to get his legs up under him; he looks great." -Kevin Durant on Derrick Rose

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Feb 15, 2015 -> 08:55 PM)
Until the end of the season. Rose has flipped the switch since the new year started and nobody has been noticing.

He's shooting 41% from the field and 32.5% from 3 and getting to the line just over 3 times per game for a ts% of .488 in '15. For a point of reference, old, fat, unathletic MJ, his last year with the Wizards, had a ts% of 49.1.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Boogua @ Feb 15, 2015 -> 08:48 PM)

Meh, he did shoot a fair number of jumpers, but he got inside too. IMO, it wouldn't have been an issue if his best teammate had more juice than Terry Cummings or Sean Elliot. Similar thing with Garnett. Keep in mind Wilt and Barkley are two of the supposed "un-clutch" guys and they didn't rely on jumpers a ton.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 15, 2015 -> 08:53 PM)
This is a good point. For all the nostalgia over 90's centers. Other than Shaq, who played like a truly dominant post guy? Certainly not Robinson or Ewing. Hakeem to a lesser degree. But all these guys were shooting a lot of jumpers.

Hakeem was a monster in the post. He had a ton of moves down low.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 15, 2015 -> 09:01 PM)
He's shooting 41% from the field and 32.5% from 3 and getting to the line just over 3 times per game for a ts% of .488 in '15. For a point of reference, old, fat, unathletic MJ, his last year with the Wizards, had a ts% of 49.1.

Rose has never been an efficient scorer. He doesn't shoot higher than 45% for a season

Edited by Jose Abreu

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Feb 15, 2015 -> 09:12 PM)
Meh, he did shoot a fair number of jumpers, but he got inside too. IMO, it wouldn't have been an issue if his best teammate had more juice than Terry Cummings or Sean Elliot. Similar thing with Garnett. Keep in mind Wilt and Barkley are two of the supposed "un-clutch" guys and they didn't rely on jumpers a ton.

Barkley had some pretty sick playoffs numbers, but I was just a kid when he was dominating. His career averages in the playoffs were 23 and 13 on a 58.4 TS% though.

I'm not one to pick on Barkley. People just like pointing out the "no ring" thing and clearly it's entirely the star player's fault at all times. Barkley's percentages are sick. The stat-nerds love him. It's also fun to watch a chubby 6'4" guy make insane athletic plays like this...

Apologies for crappy formatting, I suck with technology.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Feb 15, 2015 -> 09:50 PM)
I'm not one to pick on Barkley. People just like pointing out the "no ring" thing and clearly it's entirely the star player's fault at all times. Barkley's percentages are sick. The stat-nerds love him. It's also fun to watch a chubby 6'4" guy make insane athletic plays like this...

Apologies for crappy formatting, I suck with technology.

I've seen that video before. Good stuff. He was an absolute monster.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 15, 2015 -> 08:47 PM)
And in today's world, he'd still be labeled a soft, underachieving choker. LeBron gets s*** for not taking the 2010 Cavs, a team with Mo Williams as his second option, to a title.

He gets s*** for the 2 Finals losses with Miami, and rightfully so.

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Feb 16, 2015 -> 12:42 AM)
He gets s*** for the 2 Finals losses with Miami, and rightfully so.

He deserves criticism for the loss to the Mavericks. Last year he played really well against the Spurs and the Heat lost because they couldn't defend the Spurs at all. There's nothing LeBron could have done to change the result of that series.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 15, 2015 -> 09:01 PM)

Come on J4L, Rose is coming back from 2 major knee injuries and losing 2 years of basketball. I said it at the begining of this season, don't expect Rose to be anywhere his MVP level this season, maybe even into next season but as long as he doesn't suffer anymore major setbacks, he will get to, or close to his MVP level again. The Bulls are good enough to compete for a title if he gets to 75%-85% this postseason with enough flashes of his 10-11 version.

He needs to play smarter though, stop shooting so many threes for one. Shoot more mid-range Js, be more of a field general assists PG (he has offensive weapons at his disposal) and attack the rim for his shot and others in crunch time. Just letting the game come to him instead of forcing the issue.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 15, 2015 -> 08:15 PM)
I LOVE the nba we have today. But I can't wait for the day the conferences are more balanced. When the west can come with Durant, Westbrook, Paul, Dirk, Lillard off the bench? My goodness. That's just not fair.

Dude, that's coming very soon. Silver is evaluating conferences and whether we should even bother with location-based divisions. We'll be seeing the best 16 teams in the playoffs within the next 3 seasons. As for the ASG, at that point my guess is they'd be smart and just have it turn to a fantasy draft the roster thing like the NHL and NFL have done.