2014-2015 NBA thread

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Feb 17, 2015 -> 04:04 PM)
Rebounding is just one of the areas WB does better Rose. I am not going to split hair on how much better or whether rebounding is important for a guard or not. I think in the end it all ties back to hustle and effort plays, and Westbrook definitely puts more effort in all areas of the game, that's why I said back then "Rose could learn a thing or two from Westbrook".

And the moment you were referring to I think came after Rose got out rebounded by Kidd 11-0 in a loss to the Mavs. Noah was out that game and that was pre-Boozer I believe. Coming out of college, Rose was often compared to Kidd and thought to be a nightly triple double threat. Needless to say I was disappointed that his rebounding left something to be desired, but I have accepted the fact that he's not going to be an all around guy like Kidd, Rondo or Westbrook but instead makes his mark on scoring the ball and playing within himself.

To flip this back on you guys, I think I was one of the first to hop on the Westbrook train and thought he could be better than Rose, but no one took it seriously at the time. ;) I think even had Rose not been injured, Rose vs. Westbrook would certainly be a fun and legitimate debate today.

Also on that train of thought...Rose taking plays off now or not giving max effort isn't 100% surprising either given that he still is trying to stay healhty for a full season.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

People forget that during his MVP year and the following year, Derrick Rose was god damn near elite defensively. His problem was playing down to competition, but when he wanted to he was a nightmare for opposing PGs.

This years Westbrook is close to MVP Rose, but people are really forgetting how damn good he was, even when he couldn't buy a call to save his life.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 17, 2015 -> 05:05 PM)
People forget that during his MVP year and the following year, Derrick Rose was god damn near elite defensively. His problem was playing down to competition, but when he wanted to he was a nightmare for opposing PGs.

This years Westbrook is close to MVP Rose, but people are really forgetting how damn good he was, even when he couldn't buy a call to save his life.

No way. He's either as good or better than MVP Rose. He's putting up the same or better numbers across the board in about 5 minutes less per game. Westbrook is currently 2nd in the league in PER. Rose was 9th in '11.

I've always felt that the only way you justify Rose's MVP is by saying that part of his value was/is unquantifiable. There was something special about those numbers, not that the numbers were special based on their raw values. Made his teammates better, did it better when it counted, etc.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 17, 2015 -> 05:05 PM)

I disagree. He was bad his first 2 years. Under Thibs he was better, especially in fundamentals and 1 on 1 situations. He still got caught by screens too many times and often times his man loses him when playing off the ball, definitely don't think he was "near god damn elite".

If you only numbers this year, Westbrook is better than MVP Rose by a good margin. His per 40 minutes number is a ridiculous 32/8/9. If he didn't miss a good chunk of time, he'd be a strong candidate for MVP.

I think I've actually been one of the bigger Westbrook supporters on this site, but there's something that just compels me to be like "No You're Wrong" when you are trying to claim "See! I was right!" after a guy has been out for 2 full years of basketball while the other has been mostly healthy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 17, 2015 -> 10:46 AM)
He grew up as a much shorter soccer player. He didn't pick up a basketball until he was 14 after he had a massive growth spurt. His footwork was some of the most amazing skill I have ever seen in the NBA. Historically NBA centers have either operated to brute force, such as a Shaq or Dwight, or a unblockable shot, such as the Kareem sky hook. I don't know that I have ever seen anyone own the post the way Olajuwon did. The Dream is my all time favorite player in the NBA.

The Dream and Rockets with him, Clyde Drexler was my team to watch during Jordan retirement era.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 17, 2015 -> 06:18 PM)
No way. He's either as good or better than MVP Rose. He's putting up the same or better numbers across the board in about 5 minutes less per game. Westbrook is currently 2nd in the league in PER. Rose was 9th in '11.

Westbrook also has Kevin Durant. Who was the second best player on that Bulls team during Rose's MVP year?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 11:16 AM)
Westbrook also has Kevin Durant. Who was the second best player on that Bulls team during Rose's MVP year?

The Durant thing is really getting old. Durant missed a ton of games and IIRC Westbrook has the highest PER of all time in games without Durant this season so I say he's doing just fine on his own.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 02:04 PM)
I wanted KMart at the beginning of the season, but imagining KMart and Brooks's defense coming off the bench made me puke a little.

yeah hilariously he's a bad fit now. I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on reggie jackson, reportedly available.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 02:02 PM)
The Durant thing is really getting old. Durant missed a ton of games and IIRC Westbrook has the highest PER of all time in games without Durant this season so I say he's doing just fine on his own.

Why? Because it is true? It is much easier to be good when you have an even better superstar attracting attention. I would swear to this day that Scottie Pippen wouldn't have been a Hall of Famer if he hadn't of played with Michael Jordan.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 03:13 PM)
If he was bought out, wouldn't he get the minimum?

If he was willing. If someone offered more he probably would take that. One thing about the NBA with waived players, teams that guaranteed money have to pay the entire amount. It's not like other sports where they pay the amount minus the minimum the new team is picking up.

If you get waived on a guaranteed contract in the NBA and another team signs you, you just got a raise. That's why these guys are OK with getting bought out. They feel they can make at least most of the money they are giving up somewhere else.