2014-2015 NBA thread

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 03:12 PM)
Why? Because it is true? It is much easier to be good when you have an even better superstar attracting attention. I would swear to this day that Scottie Pippen wouldn't have been a Hall of Famer if he hadn't of played with Michael Jordan.

No. Because the post you quoted specifically compares Westbrook this season to Rose in 2011. Thunder without both Westbrook and Durant this year are just 5-11, but with Westbrook and no Durant they are a respectable 7-4. Let's not forget he plays in the Western conference as well. Westbrook has certainly proven that he's capable of leading the team when opportunity presents itself.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 04:42 PM)
No. Because the post you quoted specifically compares Westbrook this season to Rose in 2011. Thunder without both Westbrook and Durant this year are just 5-11, but with Westbrook and no Durant they are a respectable 7-4. Let's not forget he plays in the Western conference as well. Westbrook has certainly proven that he's capable of leading the team when opportunity presents itself.

But if he had to do it on a nightly basis, his efficiency wouldn't be nearly as good. Contrast that and give the MVP Rose a guy the calibur of Kevin Durant, and watch what his numbers would do.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 04:44 PM)
But if he had to do it on a nightly basis, his efficiency wouldn't be nearly as good. Contrast that and give the MVP Rose a guy the calibur of Kevin Durant, and watch what his numbers would do.

Efficiency will go down but raw number will certainly go up. He was something like 30-6-8 with 3 steals without Durant. Plus, if he he had to do it for a prolonged period of time, it's not hard to imagine he would make adjustments.

Either way, I don't think it's fair to say Player B couldn't be better than Player A because Player B isn't the best player on his team. By that logic, 2011 Rose is better than Kobe from '98-04 and Pippen in all those years when he played with Jordan. Playing with another superstar certainly factors in the argument, but I don't think it invalidates the argument.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 03:12 PM)
Why? Because it is true? It is much easier to be good when you have an even better superstar attracting attention. I would swear to this day that Scottie Pippen wouldn't have been a Hall of Famer if he hadn't of played with Michael Jordan.

Totally disagree. He was exceptional the year Jordan was retired (PER of 23 and 22 those seasons). Tons of all-defensive teams and all-nba teams. I think he would have been great anywhere with his defense and passing.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 04:59 PM)
Efficiency will go down but raw number will certainly go up. He was something like 30-6-8 with 3 steals without Durant. Plus, if he he had to do it for a prolonged period of time, it's not hard to imagine he would make adjustments.

Either way, I don't think it's fair to say Player B couldn't be better than Player A because Player B isn't the best player on his team. By that logic, 2011 Rose is better than Kobe from '98-04 and Pippen in all those years when he played with Jordan. Playing with another superstar certainly factors in the argument, but I don't think it invalidates the argument.

The main issue I have is that the Bulls spacing was horrendous. You had a player who was dominant at driving in congested spaces being forced to do that the whole game, and he did. Deng was decent from 3, and Korver was great but mostly 2nd unit then. You had a bunch of players who all required being close to the hoop. Give him the Dunleavy Bulls and 2010-2011 would have at least 5% better FG shooting.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 05:06 PM)
The main issue I have is that the Bulls spacing was horrendous. You had a player who was dominant at driving in congested spaces being forced to do that the whole game, and he did. Deng was decent from 3, and Korver was great but mostly 2nd unit then. You had a bunch of players who all required being close to the hoop. Give him the Dunleavy Bulls and 2010-2011 would have at least 5% better FG shooting.

This.

Serge Ibaka is shooting better from 3 than any of the 2010-2011 bulls starters did. Crazy.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 05:06 PM)

That would put him at 50% shooting for that year. That is a bold statement that really couldn't be backed up, and with Rose's style of play, I highly doubt he will ever shoot 50% from the field, injured or not.

For the Thunder, Roberson couldn't shoot for his life and Perry Jones who started with Durant out was also a bad shooter. As a team, They are shooting 32.5% from 3's this year. They definitely aren't the Warriors, Hawks or Spurs. On the other hand Bulls in 2011 shot 36% from 3's, and Thunder shot exactly same percentage last year.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 06:03 PM)
Totally disagree. He was exceptional the year Jordan was retired (PER of 23 and 22 those seasons). Tons of all-defensive teams and all-nba teams. I think he would have been great anywhere with his defense and passing.

I think the reason Pip became such a great player on defense and passing was having to work in practice with a practice-jerk named Michael Jordan non-stop for so many years, personally.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 04:44 PM)

I (and many others) said the same thing about Kobe when he was playing with Shaq. We was a little wrong there. Westbrook could easily lead the league in scoring on above league average efficiency without KD.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 06:24 PM)
I (and many others) said the same thing about Kobe when he was playing with Shaq. We was a little wrong there. Westbrook could easily lead the league in scoring on above league average efficiency without KD.

Westbrook isn't anywhere near peak-Kobe. Kobe Bryant is an all-time great.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 07:20 PM)
Westbrook isn't anywhere near peak-Kobe. Kobe Bryant is an all-time great.

Yeah, now. Back in 2002, everybody outside of LA said he he'd suffer a great deal without Shaq. Westbrook is the most physically/athletically gifted pg in nba history, with an impressive skillset to boot. He'd be just fine without KD.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 07:40 PM)
Yeah, now. Back in 2002, everybody outside of LA said he he'd suffer a great deal without Shaq. Westbrook is the most physically/athletically gifted pg in nba history, with an impressive skillset to boot. He'd be just fine without KD.

He'd be Allen Iverson without another superstar.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 05:24 PM)
That would put him at 50% shooting for that year. That is a bold statement that really couldn't be backed up, and with Rose's style of play, I highly doubt he will ever shoot 50% from the field, injured or not.

For the Thunder, Roberson couldn't shoot for his life and Perry Jones who started with Durant out was also a bad shooter. As a team, They are shooting 32.5% from 3's this year. They definitely aren't the Warriors, Hawks or Spurs. On the other hand Bulls in 2011 shot 36% from 3's, and Thunder shot exactly same percentage last year.

It's fine to include that percentage, but the thunder attempt 5 more 3s per game. Ibaka himself takes more threes per game than any bull that year beside deng, except he hits at a higher rate. There is no question whose teammates give them more space to work with. But yeah, I'm sure having one of the best shooters in the league next to you would have no effect.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 07:40 PM)

I love Russ, but Magic? The court vision to go with his height and ball handling skills might not be explosive, but it's amazing.

And MVP Rose is still the fastest / pagan god of layups.

I'd agree that Russ is most explosive though.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Feb 19, 2015 -> 01:01 PM)
Andre Miller to Sacramento for Ramon Sessions (to Washington)

Wow, Zach Lowe and Simmons were recently talking about how Andre Miller looked done, but Lowe said the Karl loved Miller and wouldn't be surprised if he told Kings management to get him. Pretty cool that it ended up happening