2014-2015 NBA thread

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rose was still rusty but his on ball defense is so much better than anyone else we have at the PG position. Still too many turnovers for my liking, but I liked that the jumpers he was taking were more midrange (even though he was missing them). Still, he needs to spend more time in the paint.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 10, 2015 -> 12:11 AM)
Steph is out of control.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 10, 2015 -> 07:28 AM)
Steph Curry is decent at playing the game of basketball.

Just saw the highlights. My goodness. Curry's '15 dwarfs Roses '11. If he doesn't win MVP, I'm done with hoops.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Apr 10, 2015 -> 08:58 PM)
Not too long ago I seriously thought Lebron would win 6 or 7 MVP's. As it stands now, he could very well only end up with 4. Curry, Harden, Durant, Westbrook, and Davis would really make it hard for Lebron to win another one.

And that's not a knock on LeBron. That's 21st century top-tier talent at its finest. Think about the 90's. It was MJ and insert whatever big (the wing talent sucked) that happened to have a career year that particular season.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 10, 2015 -> 09:38 PM)
And that's not a knock on LeBron. That's 21st century top-tier talent at its finest. Think about the 90's. It was MJ and insert whatever big (the wing talent sucked) that happened to have a career year that particular season.

Dismissing a decade, one of which that had insert whatever big (Shaq, Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing, Barkley, Malone), is just foolish.

It would be like me saying: "Think about the 2010s. It was Lebron and insert whatever wing (the big talent sucked) that happened to have a career year that particular season." It would also be a bit more applicable here considering Derrick Rose won one of those MVPs.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 10, 2015 -> 09:38 PM)

SG is horrible right now. Lou Williams is 5th in PER at the position by over 2 points. Plus one of the guys ahead of him is Wade, who's on his last legs and misses 15 to 20 games every year. Most of the position is guys that aren't asked to do anything but shoot 3's and defend.

SF has quite a bit of talent, but 3 of the top-5 missed most of the season and guys like Gay, Hayward and Harris are better for fantasy hoops than real life.

The PG's right now are obviously fantastic and the bigs are starting to come back a bit.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 11, 2015 -> 02:23 PM)
SG is horrible right now. Lou Williams is 5th in PER at the position by over 2 points. Plus one of the guys ahead of him is Wade, who's on his last legs and misses 15 to 20 games every year. Most of the position is guys that aren't asked to do anything but shoot 3's and defend.

SF has quite a bit of talent, but 3 of the top-5 missed most of the season and guys like Gay, Hayward and Harris are better for fantasy hoops than real life.

The PG's right now are obviously fantastic and the bigs are starting to come back a bit.

Harden, Butler, Thompson with two almost surefire superstars in Wiggins/Oladipo in waiting. That's still better than anything from the 90's

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 11, 2015 -> 03:27 PM)
Harden, Butler, Thompson with two almost surefire superstars in Wiggins/Oladipo in waiting. That's still better than anything from the 90's

The first 3 are legit, though the last two were a lot better this year than they have been in the past.

The other two guys may or may not get there. Keep in mind Brad Beal and Eric Gordon were sure-fire studs a few years ago.

Wiggins has great potential, but has a long way to go. He was barely a factor from 3 and wasn't much better on 2's not at the rim. He doesn't have the most diverse game right now. He also will probably end up at SF, which is admittedly a cop-out.

Oladipo is alright. He's a solid athlete that's scoring better than I expected so far, but I don't know how much better he'll get. He hasn't been as strong at the rim as a lot of these other wings (55.4 and 57.3% so far. Wiggins was 65% this year, Butler 63%, Harden 62%) and he's not exactly a knock-down shooter.

SG went deeper than just Jordan and Drexler back then. Dumars was putting up 20 points and 4 assists with mid-50's TS%. Reggie Miller was limited, but shot well enough to put up 20 a game on TS%'s north of 60. Mitch Ritchmond averaged 21-3.9-3.5 for his career with a 55.7 TS%. Even a fairly unremarkable player like Hersey Hawkins had a 4-year run where he averaged about 20-4-4 with 1.8 steals and TS%'s north of 57. That and two solid SG's from that era DIED at 27 (Petrovic and Lewis). Just because you don't remember/acknowledge them doesn't mean they all sucked.

I wouldn't say the wing spots were stellar back then, but they were serviceable. Both spots had a few HOF'ers and some other decent players.

IMO, the best stretch for wing players was the mid-to-late-2000's. You had multiple HOF types that were in the late 90's drafts (Kobe, Pierce, Allen, Carter and T-Mac), two superstars and another perennial All-Star drafted in '03, a guy that probably would be considered a lock HOF if he had a bigger role (Ginobili), a couple years of Brandon Roy, plus a bunch of other guys that still put up numbers like Stojakovic, Joe Johnson, Marion, , Rashard Lewis, Caron Butler and Jamison. There were a lot of good PF's in that stretch too. Unfortunately, PG was plagued by talented but inefficient shoot-first guards (Iverson, Arenas, Marbury, Baron Davis and Steve Francis) or marginal talents that dragged down the whole era a bit.

Edited by ZoomSlowik