2014-2015 NBA thread

Not too long ago the Spurs were the 7th seed in the West, and now with Kawaii healthy they have been unbeatable. The Southwest division is also looking insane, the 2nd seed Spurs only lead the 6th seed Grizzlies by 1 game. And there's also the possibility that all 5 teams in that division make the playoffs. Not sure when the last time that has happened.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 04:57 PM)
Not too long ago the Spurs were the 7th seed in the West, and now with Kawaii healthy they have been unbeatable. The Southwest division is also looking insane, the 2nd seed Spurs only lead the 6th seed Grizzlies by 1 game. And there's also the possibility that all 5 teams in that division make the playoffs. Not sure when the last time that has happened.

They're outscoring their opponents by 16.45 ppg during their winning streak :lol: I haven't seen a team flip a switch like this since the '01 Lakers. If the Spurs get through this conference and win another title the following statements will be true:

Duncan best big man ever

Pop best coach ever

Spurs greatest dynasty ever

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 05:13 PM)
They're outscoring their opponents by 16.45 ppg during their winning streak :lol: I haven't seen a team flip a switch like this since the '01 Lakers. If the Spurs get through this conference and win another title the following statements will be true:

Duncan best big man ever

Pop best coach ever

Duncan is my second favorite player ever, but it would be really tough to argue him over Jabbar.

The other two I could see though.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 05:13 PM)

Duncan best big man ever

Pop best coach ever

Bit of a hyperbole here. It's hard to call them the greatest dynasty when their dominance is scattered over the span of 10+ years, in which we've seen better teams than them in several of those years. And over the past 4 years, the Heat has made 4 Finals, won 2, the Spurs has made 2 Finals and won 1.

The 90's Bulls under Jordan are still a better dynasty. While short-lived, they were more unstoppable.

16 consecutive years (would be 17 if not for the short '99 season) of 50 or more wins.

9 conference finals

6 nba finals

5 nba titles

All this has taken place in the internet-advanced scouting-analytics-etc-era.

The 90's Bulls dynasty was amazing and historic. But i'm sorry. The competition when all that expansion was happening is not even close to what the Spurs have had to deal with EVERY year of the Duncan/Pop era. They've gone up against the best of shaq/kobe/phil lakers, the seven seconds or less suns, Dirk's mavs, Kobe/Gasol lakers, Durant/Westbrook thunder (Harden was there one year). And that's just the west. They've taken down two defending champions during their run ('05 Pistons, last year's Heat). If they beat GS/Cleveland and win another title then that seals it for me: Duncan/Pop > anyone

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 06:36 PM)
16 consecutive years (would be 17 if not for the short '99 season) of 50 or more wins.

9 conference finals

6 nba finals

5 nba titles

All this has taken place in the internet-advanced scouting-analytics-etc-era.

The 90's Bulls dynasty was amazing and historic. But i'm sorry. The competition when all that expansion was happening is not even close to what the Spurs have had to deal with EVERY year of the Duncan/Pop era. They've gone up against the best of shaq/kobe/phil lakers, the seven seconds or less suns, Dirk's mavs, Kobe/Gasol lakers, Durant/Westbrook thunder (Harden was there one year). And that's just the west. They've taken down two defending champions during their run ('05 Pistons, last year's Heat). If they beat GS/Cleveland and win another title then that seals it for me: Duncan/Pop > anyone

As I said, you can't deny the longevity of Spurs' success under Duncan/Pop, they are definitely a dynasty. But are they the greatest dynasty? I don't think so. In terms of dominance, 90's Bulls are still better, IMO.

In the 6 playoffs under Jordan, Bulls were a combined 90-25 in the playoffs, that's a crazy 78% winning %, IN THE PLAYOFFS. They also NEVER lost a game in the first round, and faced Game 7 only twice in 24 series in that span.

I know you will always debate that 2000's talent is better than 90's talent. I won't debate you on that, given that I do think the West in 2000's are superior to East in the 90's. But that difference in talent level isn't enough to overcome the Bulls' playoff record, RS record, and margin of victory at the end of the day. And given how good those Bulls teams were, who's to say that Bulls wouldn't have won 6 titles if say they had to play Kobe or Durant in the Finals?

I just don't think you can say a team that has won 5 Finals in 16 years is better than a team that won 6 Finals in 8 (6) years.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 09:02 PM)
I think there are a lot of people who would rather have the 4 seed. Doesn't really matter to me though, have to beat the best to be the best

I think I'd rather have Rose play against poorer competition in the first round to regain some confidence. He usually plays really well against the Bucks.

You have to beat Cleveland one way or another to get out of the East. You might as well get it out of the way earlier.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 09:02 PM)
I think there are a lot of people who would rather have the 4 seed. Doesn't really matter to me though, have to beat the best to be the best

I don't get it at all. The Wizards look to be a much, much harder matchup than the Bucks. The Bulls would have to face Cleveland regardless.

The thing with playing Cleveland in 2nd round is beating them will take everything the Bulls got and more. If they do beat the Cavs, you just don't know if they got enough health and focus in them to win the ECF and play well in the Finals.

To me, it's a little silly to call the Spurs (and Patriots, so I'm not just picking on the Spurs) titles all one dynasty. The first and the last of the Spurs' run were 16 years apart and only had one player in common. Even from their 4th to their 5th, there was a 7 year gap. Yeah, they've been consistently good, but there's also 3 first round losses in that stretch and 4 more in the second round. The Lakers also have 5 titles in that stretch and the Heat have 3. It's not nearly the stretch of consistent dominance of some other teams.

Their first 3 titles also came during the late 90's/early 2000's, which wasn't nearly as strong an era. If they beat the Lakers, they were pretty much winning the title. Sacramento never quite got there (except for that one series against LA where they might have been robbed) and the Suns' run was really only 4 years, with Amare missing one of them and getting suspended against the Spurs in another. The Mavs were a mixed bag; a couple of their teams when they still had Nash were legit, but most of them played poor defense and didn't have the support around Dirk. There was little depth behind those teams. The East was a complete joke, there weren't any real threats to the top west teams (Including Detroit, even though they stole one. They were a below average offensive team even with Rasheed).

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Derrick Rose has not played in the playoffs since the 1st game of the 2012 playoffs. The Bulls dominated that game and seemed primed to knock off the Heat. Then this happened, and D-Rose hasn't been the same since.

You're welcome.

Edited by Steve9347