2014-2015 NBA thread

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 19, 2015 -> 08:06 PM)
Lakers pick 2nd. It'll be interesting to see where they go there.

They'd be stupid as hell not to take Russell or Mudiay . Okafor would've been the easy choice ten years ago. Game has changed quite a bit.

Edited by Jordan4life

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Bulls FO has gotten all the criticism for several years all while they've had minimal opportunity to do anything better than they've done. The team is clearly full of talented players and hasn't produced nearly enough. Some is due to bad luck, but we've finally had the no-excuses scenario this year and the poor play finally looked like it had to be due to poor coaching.

And don't worry, plenty out there are still mad at GarPax. And they will turn against them as soon as things don't go right with a new coach.

I think the other thing about the current fixation on Thibs is that nobody thinks there is any practical chance that GarPax get fired this year. People see a team that should have been a contender, is unlikely to change substantially going into next season, and a coach who reputedly can't coach offense alongside a team that couldn't score in the playoffs -- a theme of the past 5 or 6 years. Of the things that have a likelihood of happening and could plausibly make the team better, Thibs being fired is it.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 20, 2015 -> 11:08 AM)
They'd be stupid as hell not to take Russell or Mudiay . Okafor would've been the easy choice ten years ago. Game has changed quite a bit.

Considering they'll probably get Rondo on the cheap this off-season and have Clarkson, I'd be very surprised if they didn't pick Okafor if he's still there.

Although Okafor and Randle could be the worst defensive 4-5 in the league as well.....

QUOTE (Heads22 @ May 19, 2015 -> 06:52 PM)
Local news guy in Iowa was reporting that the Pelicans, Magic and Timberwolves also interested in Hoiberg.

When you think about it, why would the Bulls job be very appealing. Your roster is good enough for people to think it is good enough, but it really isn't, and probably isn't getting better anytime soon. You know there will be significant meddling from upstairs. The Mayor is set for life in Ames, and probably could coach there until he dies. Why go to the Bulls where in 4 years you will be blamed for everything, and then move on? I think Orlando and New Orleans might be better jobs, especially when you consider the scout that found guys like Taj and Butler late is in Orlando.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 20, 2015 -> 10:50 PM)
When you think about it, why would the Bulls job be very appealing. Your roster is good enough for people to think it is good enough, but it really isn't, and probably isn't getting better anytime soon. You know there will be significant meddling from upstairs. The Mayor is set for life in Ames, and probably could coach there until he dies. Why go to the Bulls where in 4 years you will be blamed for everything, and then move on? I think Orlando and New Orleans might be better jobs, especially when you consider the scout that found guys like Taj and Butler late is in Orlando.

Matt Lloyd is who you're referring to there (now the Magic's head of Scouting I believe).

I think the Bulls job is always going to appealing enough in terms of the franchise's history and the city itself being a big market.

Where the roster is at right now though is pretty interesting. They can't do much this off-season, but IIRC, Rose's expiring contract in 2016 could give them a fair bit of flexibility when the salary cap goes up.

The more I think about it also, the more I think Alvin Gentry would be a pretty decent fit, at least for the next 2 seasons.

Watching the Warriors vs Rockets today, and Basketball in general nowadays, the league is all about spacing on offense and hitting as many 3PT's as you can really. But what seperates the really good teams is when you can also be good enough defensively, and for GS that's simply by having Green and Bogut really.

The Bulls already have the players good enough on defense, but they need a better offensive minded coach to increase their offensive efficiency. You could almost compare them to where Golden State was a season ago really with the Jackson to Kerr scenario.

Not that I'm comparing Thibs to Mark Jackson though, I just think he's quite similar to SVG / Scott Skiles etc. in a way, the players can tune out after 4-5 seasons it seems....

QUOTE (almagest @ May 20, 2015 -> 01:07 PM)
http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/samsmith/dra...-nba-mock-draft

Some chatter in the comments about the Knicks wanting to trade their pick. I wonder if Thibs/our pick/the Bobcats pick option/Noah/Taj/etc could get it done? If so, what would the Bulls want at #4?

IIRC someone said you can't direclty trade players for coaches? And didn't Phil get to personally hire a coach last year and pick Derek Fisher, one of his former players?

QUOTE (almagest @ May 20, 2015 -> 12:07 PM)

Some chatter in the comments about the Knicks wanting to trade their pick. I wonder if Thibs/our pick/the Bobcats pick option/Noah/Taj/etc could get it done? If so, what would the Bulls want at #4?

A guard or a wing pretty much. So whoever fell to them.

QUOTE (almagest @ May 20, 2015 -> 12:07 PM)

That trade is illegal, and we also do not own Bobcats pick anymore, that was sent to Denver last year. And if Knicks trade pick, they will want to trade it to a team that will get them the chance of future lottery picks.

QUOTE (almagest @ May 20, 2015 -> 11:07 AM)

Kirk Hinrich has an option for next season he is expected to pick up to return.

LOLOLOL

QUOTE (bmags @ May 20, 2015 -> 12:23 PM)
That trade is illegal, and we also do not own Bobcats pick anymore, that was sent to Denver last year. And if Knicks trade pick, they will want to trade it to a team that will get them the chance of future lottery picks.
I thought it was only illegal to trade coaches for players, not coaches for picks, even if players are traded from our side.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 20, 2015 -> 02:14 PM)
Why would the Knicks want Tom Thibodeau?

Thibs sucks. Sure he coached more than half the games without Rose, but his winning percentage is only like 5th or 6th best all time. Why any team would covet this guy is beyond me.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 20, 2015 -> 02:17 PM)
Thibs sucks. Sure he coached more than half the games without Rose, but his winning percentage is only like 5th or 6th best all time. Why any team would covet this guy is beyond me.

I don't think Thibodeau is a fit with Phil Jackson and what they want to do. That was my point.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 20, 2015 -> 03:20 PM)
I don't think Thibodeau is a fit with Phil Jackson and what they want to do. That was my point.

It's also not like Phil has any connection to Derek Fisher or anything like that, that was a random and completely unexpected hire.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 20, 2015 -> 02:22 PM)
It's also not like Phil has any connection to Derek Fisher or anything like that, that was a random and completely unexpected hire.

It's not like Fisher was his first choice, and it's not like Fisher is guaranteed a job for life.

Speaking of Phil, how come he was never criticized for running his players into the ground?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 20, 2015 -> 03:22 PM)

And it isn't as if Phil would want to tell his coach how to run his offense. Even if he did, Thibs would be cool with that.

QUOTE (almagest @ May 21, 2015 -> 03:07 AM)

You'd probably have to trade say Mirotic to Sacramento for the 6th pick, and then do a swap of 4/6 somehow. Don't think the Knicks would be interested in anyone other than Butler really.

If the Knicks do stay at 4, and Mudiay is on the board still, do the Knicks pick him. He doesn't exactly fit the mould of a Triangle Offense kind of PG, although he is big enough.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 20, 2015 -> 03:31 PM)
It's not like Fisher was his first choice, and it's not like Fisher is guaranteed a job for life.

Speaking of Phil, how come he was never criticized for running his players into the ground?

How many rings does he have?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 21, 2015 -> 10:02 AM)
According to KC Johnson, about the best the Bulls could do in a trade for Thibs is a 2nd round pick.

Wow what a market out there for him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 21, 2015 -> 10:02 AM)
According to KC Johnson, about the best the Bulls could do in a trade for Thibs is a 2nd round pick.

Everybody knows the Bulls are going to get rid of him regardless. Why would they offer anything above that?