2014-2015 NBA thread

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This Thibs stuff is crazy. Now there are multiple reports the Bulls are going to wait until all the coaching vacancies are filled, and then fire him. Pay him $4 million next season out of spite, and make him sit. Cowley said a player told him the exit interview was a slam Thibs fest.

If the Mayor is hired and the Bulls don't improve their playoff performance, what kind of rope does Gar/Pax get, since they seem to blame this all on Thibs, who they hired, along with Vinnie Del Negro.

I have a feeling the Bulls are going to be really bad in a few years.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 26, 2015 -> 03:08 PM)
This Thibs stuff is crazy. Now there are multiple reports the Bulls are going to wait until all the coaching vacancies are filled, and then fire him. Pay him $4 million next season out of spite, and make him sit. Cowley said a player told him the exit interview was a slam Thibs fest.

If the Mayor is hired and the Bulls don't improve their playoff performance, what kind of rope does Gar/Pax get, since they seem to blame this all on Thibs, who they hired, along with Vinnie Del Negro.

Depends on why? Rose goes down again is that something you can really blame on them? Only thing they coudl have done to avoid that problem is not extending him and that's not a gamble I'll be down on them for.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 26, 2015 -> 02:10 PM)
Depends on why? Rose goes down again is that something you can really blame on them? Only thing they coudl have done to avoid that problem is not extending him and that's not a gamble I'll be down on them for.

Rose being hurt has nothing to do with it. Thibs coached more games without him than with him, and the playoff results are going to be used against him when they do can him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 26, 2015 -> 03:27 PM)
Rose being hurt has nothing to do with it. Thibs coached more games without him than with him, and the playoff results are going to be used against him when they do can him.

If Rose gets hurt again this team as constructed should still make the playoffs and probably be a first round exit in the East.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 26, 2015 -> 03:27 PM)

If Rose gets hurt again this team as constructed should still make the playoffs and probably be a first round exit in the East.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 26, 2015 -> 02:32 PM)

I agree. And if that happens, should Gar/Pax be next on the chopping block? I used to like Pax, but he, IMO, is delusional if he thinks his current roster should win, and if it doesn't it is on the coach. Gar I never liked. They get credit for drafting contributors late, but I read the scout that really picked those guys fled to Orlando. The next draft Teague was the selection. If they want to play a $4 million game of spite with Thibs, if I'm Michael Reinsdorf, they better get the hire right, and they better go deep in the playoffs, or it's their jobs on the line.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 26, 2015 -> 12:32 PM)

If the front office doesn't get the Bulls a solid back-up, ball distributing point guard who could start in a pinch, then this off-season would be a failure. In fact, I would expect a healthy Rose to get plenty of minutes next to someone who can ease his load and be a primary point guard at times. It is a huge need. There is a time and a place for guys like Aaron Brooks but their is also a time and a place for a real point guard and with Rose's health issues we need that. If we had a decent, league average distributing PG (or even slightly below league average), then I still think this team is a 2nd round playoff team without Rose.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 26, 2015 -> 02:08 PM)

What the hell kind of coach do they expect to bring in to this organization when they treat the previous coach in a manner such as this? Its f***ing ridiculous if they actually do that with Thibs. Its all ego and no professionalism whatsoever.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 26, 2015 -> 07:58 PM)
If the front office doesn't get the Bulls a solid back-up, ball distributing point guard who could start in a pinch, then this off-season would be a failure. In fact, I would expect a healthy Rose to get plenty of minutes next to someone who can ease his load and be a primary point guard at times. It is a huge need. There is a time and a place for guys like Aaron Brooks but their is also a time and a place for a real point guard and with Rose's health issues we need that. If we had a decent, league average distributing PG (or even slightly below league average), then I still think this team is a 2nd round playoff team without Rose.

Is there any chance the Bulls could bring in J. Jack as a back-up pg? Always thought he'd be a great back-up to Rose, as he's good enough to start when Rose deals with his injuries but not one of these gunners like Brooks or Nate Robinson.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 26, 2015 -> 02:54 PM)
I agree. And if that happens, should Gar/Pax be next on the chopping block? I used to like Pax, but he, IMO, is delusional if he thinks his current roster should win, and if it doesn't it is on the coach. Gar I never liked. They get credit for drafting contributors late, but I read the scout that really picked those guys fled to Orlando. The next draft Teague was the selection. If they want to play a $4 million game of spite with Thibs, if I'm Michael Reinsdorf, they better get the hire right, and they better go deep in the playoffs, or it's their jobs on the line.

Even before this mess, I wouldn't have had a problem with the Bulls looking for a front office leader who can get this team from point B to point C.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 26, 2015 -> 03:56 PM)
What the hell kind of coach do they expect to bring in to this organization when they treat the previous coach in a manner such as this? Its f***ing ridiculous if they actually do that with Thibs. Its all ego and no professionalism whatsoever.

Firing a guy for losing horribly to an undermanned team like the Cavs? Thibs getting fired is a reasonable, logical decision. The noise all season about GarPax wanting him gone was just proven correct. Thibs is a great defensive coach. He can get you an extra 5-10 wins. He's not a top of the line coach that can win you championships. His record against Lebron is terrible. His record against top coaches is terrible. And his entire offensive philosophy is terrible. Rose or no Rose, it didn't matter.

Not sure why anyone is sad that he's leaving. The Bulls since 2010 are the "imagine if" team. Now they're stuck in no man's land: not good enough to win a title, too good to find a superstar in the draft. Welcome to 1st/2nd round exists for the foreseeable future, with or without Thibs.

For all the (rightfully deserved) grief GarPax gets, let's remember that they wanted Thibs to hire an offensive assistant and he refused.

For a guy who made his name in the league as the premier defensive assistant, that's completely bullheaded on his part and idiotic. His offensive schemes are terrible and relied on PG drives and tip backs. Those weren't as prominent this year with hobbled Noah.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 26, 2015 -> 05:35 PM)
For all the (rightfully deserved) grief GarPax gets, let's remember that they wanted Thibs to hire an offensive assistant and he refused.

For a guy who made his name in the league as the premier defensive assistant, that's completely bullheaded on his part and idiotic. His offensive schemes are terrible and relied on PG drives and tip backs. Those weren't as prominent this year with hobbled Noah.

Thibs has enough positives that I hesitate to get rid of him because there's a very good chance the next person coming in has fewer positives. However, he also has enough negatives that a non-great team is able to exploit them to the point of making the Bulls look really, really bad in the playoffs, and that's what we just saw. Hinrich on the floor an insane number of minutes, teams struggling to score, the Bulls just plain outsmarted on the court.

If Thibs isn't willing to work on his weaknesses then we have reached the limit of what we can do with him and I'll understand that.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 26, 2015 -> 02:08 PM)

I heard this too, but couldn't it be a ploy to get teams that want Thibs to up their offers to the Bulls (if there are any).

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 26, 2015 -> 04:30 PM)
Firing a guy for losing horribly to an undermanned team like the Cavs? Thibs getting fired is a reasonable, logical decision. The noise all season about GarPax wanting him gone was just proven correct. Thibs is a great defensive coach. He can get you an extra 5-10 wins. He's not a top of the line coach that can win you championships. His record against Lebron is terrible. His record against top coaches is terrible. And his entire offensive philosophy is terrible. Rose or no Rose, it didn't matter.

Not sure why anyone is sad that he's leaving. The Bulls since 2010 are the "imagine if" team. Now they're stuck in no man's land: not good enough to win a title, too good to find a superstar in the draft. Welcome to 1st/2nd round exists for the foreseeable future, with or without Thibs.

I am referring to the manner they are handling it. If they want to fire him then fine. But to be bush league and wait till all other job openings are filled and then fire him so he has to sit is just ridiculous IMO.

QUOTE (Boogua @ May 26, 2015 -> 04:57 PM)
I heard this too, but couldn't it be a ploy to get teams that want Thibs to up their offers to the Bulls (if there are any).

Ait could be. Or they might be afraid he goes to a potentially decent team like New Orleans , and does better than the Bulls. But why give up draft picks? The Bulls hold no cards.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 26, 2015 -> 08:31 PM)
Love going down and Smith's suspension was the best thing to ever happen to the Cavs' defense.

I agree that they've looked better, but the teams they have been playing haven't been world beaters offensively to say the least. The Golden State series at least looks interesting now. I'm not sure how Golden State will keep Thompson off the offensive glass.

QUOTE (Boogua @ May 26, 2015 -> 08:36 PM)
I agree that they've looked better, but the teams they have been playing haven't been world beaters offensively to say the least. The Golden State series at least looks interesting now. I'm not sure how Golden State will keep Thompson off the offensive glass.

Atlanta was one of the elite/efficient offenses in the league. Cleveland's D has just swallowed them whole for the most part. Thompson/Shumpert in the starting lineup has improved their defense tremendously.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 26, 2015 -> 08:43 PM)
Atlanta was one of the elite/efficient offenses in the league. Cleveland's D has just swallowed them whole for the most part. Thompson/Shumpert in the starting lineup has improved their defense tremendously.

Carroll is hobbled, Korver is out, and they didn't even look like the same offensive team throughout the majority of the playoffs (against the Nets or Wizards) before those guys got hurt. We'll see how improved they are when they face Golden State. They very well could be as much improved as you think, but I'm not going to use the Eastern Conference to base my judgement.

The hawks are 2/16 from 3 now and lots of these haven't even been contested.

Edited by Boogua

QUOTE (Boogua @ May 26, 2015 -> 08:49 PM)
Carroll is hobbled, Korver is out, and they didn't even look like the same offensive team throughout the majority of the playoffs (against the Nets or Wizards) before those guys got hurt. We'll see how improved they are when they face Golden State. They very well could be as much improved as you think, but I'm not going to use the Eastern Conference to base my judgement.

The hawks are 2/16 from 3 now and lots of these haven't even been contested.

Oh, don't get me wrong. The Warriors will be the ULTIMATE test. Just saying that everybody thought Cleveland's D would be their downfall. In Mozgov, LeBron, Shumpert and Thompson, they have 4 above average defenders in their starting lineup.