2014-2015 NBA thread

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 29, 2015 -> 08:13 PM)
More money annually, big cities vs. college towns if that's what they want, no NCAA regulations.

Hell, getting away from the NCAA could be the biggest factor.

I agree with your second sentence but the first? He's married with young boys. It's not like he and his wife will be needing the Chicago nightlife. I don't get it. He's got a heart problem; he's totally beloved in Ames with no pressure. Why the hell does he want the NBA? Plus the Bulls have kind of a crazy mix. You've got Rose and his weird upbringing with his brother and his weird stances on injuries, etc. You've got Noah who I love but is kinda wacky. You've got some very mediocre players besides Gasol, Noah and the oft injured Rose. Bulls aren't winning anything anytime soon. Crazy.

I wonder if Hoiberg will replace Self at KU when Self goes to the Spurs to replace Pop someday. Probably Fred or Stephens.

Edited by greg775

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 30, 2015 -> 03:30 AM)
I agree with your second sentence but the first? He's married with young boys. It's not like he and his wife will be needing the Chicago nightlife. I don't get it. He's got a heart problem; he's totally beloved in Ames with no pressure. Why the hell does he want the NBA? Plus the Bulls have kind of a crazy mix. You've got Rose and his weird upbringing with his brother and his weird stances on injuries, etc. You've got Noah who I love but is kinda wacky. You've got some very mediocre players besides Gasol, Noah and the oft injured Rose. Bulls aren't winning anything anytime soon. Crazy.

I wonder if Hoiberg will replace Self at KU when Self goes to the Spurs to replace Pop someday. Probably Fred or Stephens.

Why the hell will Self replace Pop and not one of Pop's assistants? Why would Hoiberg go to Kansas?

And you know just as well as I do that Self won't ever leave Lawrence. He revels in being a god there, revels in that power.

Rose's weird upbringing? Stance on injuries? He had a tough upbringing and was scared to come back quickly from tearing his knees. The third time he decided he wasn't afraid to. And you're forgetting Butler and Mirotic.

I know plenty of married couples that don't enjoy living in college towns (and many who do) and would rather have a quiet house in the suburbs.

And also, for someone who was in the NBA, I'm sure he sees the Larry O'Brien trophy as a better achievement compared to an NCAA Championship.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 30, 2015 -> 02:49 AM)
Why the hell will Self replace Pop and not one of Pop's assistants? Why would Hoiberg go to Kansas?

And you know just as well as I do that Self won't ever leave Lawrence. He revels in being a god there, revels in that power.

Rose's weird upbringing? Stance on injuries? He had a tough upbringing and was scared to come back quickly from tearing his knees. The third time he decided he wasn't afraid to. And you're forgetting Butler and Mirotic.

I know plenty of married couples that don't enjoy living in college towns (and many who do) and would rather have a quiet house in the suburbs.

And also, for someone who was in the NBA, I'm sure he sees the Larry O'Brien trophy as a better achievement compared to an NCAA Championship.

Except if you won an NCAA championship in bb or fb at Iowa or Iowa State, you would be above God for the rest of your life.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ May 30, 2015 -> 01:18 AM)
The new story is that Hoiberg interviewed with Orlando

If the Mayor winds up anywhereupother than the Bulls I apaologize for being wrong, but I think any play at this point is to hide the fact that this move was pretty much agreed to months ago.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 30, 2015 -> 06:07 AM)
Except if you won an NCAA championship in bb or fb at Iowa or Iowa State, you would be above God for the rest of your life.

Heck yeah. Hayden Fry is immortal in Iowa because he had some great football teams.

Heck, Ben Jacobson is Northern Iowa has probably entered Saint-hood for sticking with the Panthers this long and having a decent to good team every few years.

I guess with Hoiberg I feel, if he just wants a coaching job in the NBA, they'll always been available year in and year out, but if he truly wants to coach the Bulls, this may be his only chance, at least for a while.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 29, 2015 -> 08:46 PM)
Scott Skiles gets hired by Orlando.

I don't know if Hennigan really even wanted him, it was more so from the owners the Devos Family that Skiles had to come in as the new coach (being a former favourite and all).

Now the interesting part will be to see what happens with Tobias Harris here, those 2 did not get along whatsoever during their time in Milwaukee.

One thing to look forward to is Skiles is hilarious.

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ May 30, 2015 -> 03:32 PM)
Peter Vecsey ‏@PeterVecsey1 11m11 minutes ago

Thibodeau-Pelicans update: both parties r showing interest in each other, I'm now told. Not 2 say coaching job is his, but things hv changed

i hope Thibs does a no comment on any questions concerning the Bulls and the FO.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 30, 2015 -> 06:07 AM)

Yea but that will never happen

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ May 30, 2015 -> 09:36 AM)
Heck yeah. Hayden Fry is immortal in Iowa because he had some great football teams.

Heck, Ben Jacobson is Northern Iowa has probably entered Saint-hood for sticking with the Panthers this long and having a decent to good team every few years.

I guess with Hoiberg I feel, if he just wants a coaching job in the NBA, they'll always been available year in and year out, but if he truly wants to coach the Bulls, this may be his only chance, at least for a while.

In Iowa, sure. The rest of the world could care less though. Hoiberg is an NBA guy. He wants to coach in the best league in the world with and against the best player in the world. Do you know why he'd leave Ames, Iowa? Because the Chicago Bulls called and you can't turn it down. When Stevens was asked about why he left Butler, he said, "Because it's the Boston Celtics". Not really sure why this is hard to understand.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ May 30, 2015 -> 09:36 AM)
Heck yeah. Hayden Fry is immortal in Iowa because he had some great football teams. Heck, Ben Jacobson is Northern Iowa has probably entered Saint-hood for sticking with the Panthers this long and having a decent to good team every few years. I guess with Hoiberg I feel, if he just wants a coaching job in the NBA, they'll always been available year in and year out, but if he truly wants to coach the Bulls, this may be his only chance, at least for a while.

Kirk Ferentz is immortal because he finishes over .500 nearly every year. :D

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 30, 2015 -> 01:19 PM)
In Iowa, sure. The rest of the world could care less though. Hoiberg is an NBA guy. He wants to coach in the best league in the world with and against the best player in the world. Do you know why he'd leave Ames, Iowa? Because the Chicago Bulls called and you can't turn it down. When Stevens was asked about why he left Butler, he said, "Because it's the Boston Celtics". Not really sure why this is hard to understand.

I totally think he should go if he has NBA coaching aspirations. He didn't want to make the jump last year to the NBA but I guess he had a daughter in her last year of school so it's understandable. Obviously Hoiberg is an NBA guy. Played for 10 years, was in the front office for Minnesota. Nobody should be shocked that he could leave. ISU should thank him for his 5 years.

Edited by WilliamTell

The Chicago Bulls are negotiating a five-year contract with Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg to become their next head coach, multiple league sources told ESPN's Andy Katz and Nick Friedell.

Sources expect the deal to get done by the middle of next week at the latest. While contract language is still being hammered out, multiple sources said the feeling from many within the Bulls organization is that the deal is all but complete.

Hoiberg, 42, spent four of his 10 seasons in the NBA playing for the Bulls. He is respected throughout the league for the success he has had at his alma mater, but his move from Ames to Chicago has been expected for a while. While it is unclear exactly when a formal news conference will be held to announce the Hoiberg hiring, the Des Moines Register reported it could come as early as Tuesday.

Hoiberg's deal is believed to be worth a total of $25 million, the New York Daily News reported.

Jesus that's a lot of money for a guy who hasn't coached in the league before. Didn't Thibs start with only a 3 year deal?

QUOTE (Brian @ May 30, 2015 -> 09:31 PM)
Did GS up the ante to keep him from NY?

Possibly...but then I could also point out that the Knicks gave Fisher the same deal that Kerr, and possibly Hoiberg got..

5/25 seems to be the going rate for rookie head coaches. At least Hoiberg has some coaching experience.

Perhaps also worth pointing out, Billy Donovan got 6mill a year.

Edited by scs787

Here's why sports are fun and also fun(ny).

So I'm reading a batch of articles. Hoiberg is going to the Bulls (unless everybody is wrong) because it's been his "dream" to coach in the NBA. He's giving up a Final Four team to go to Chicago and ultimately get fired (NBA coaches are hired to be fired in 3-5 years). So in 3-5 years Fred either gets another NBA job as part of the revolving door of NBA coaches flipping from franchise to franchise (can you say Alvin Gentry?) or he returns to college ala Tim Floyd's career.

Meanwhile, articles are out there saying Hornacek's dream is to coach in college at his alma mater, which happens to be Iowa State. He has an NBA job and gets along famously with his Suns' GM. The Suns have a history of letting coaches fulfil their contracts. So isn't this a nonsequitir??

Hornacek should be happy staying in Phoenix and trying to win a title (though he should dump those Morris twins or at least split them up ASAP). Meanwhile Fred should be happy in Ames winning a national title this season at ISU and being a hero in Ames forever while making a ton of money and having a bit less stress on his fixed-up heart. Both coaches should stay put.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 30, 2015 -> 11:07 PM)

So I'm reading a batch of articles. Hoiberg is going to the Bulls (unless everybody is wrong) because it's been his "dream" to coach in the NBA. He's giving up a Final Four team to go to Chicago and ultimately get fired (NBA coaches are hired to be fired in 3-5 years). So in 3-5 years Fred either gets another NBA job as part of the revolving door of NBA coaches flipping from franchise to franchise (can you say Alvin Gentry?) or he returns to college ala Tim Floyd's career.

Meanwhile, articles are out there saying Hornacek's dream is to coach in college at his alma mater, which happens to be Iowa State. He has an NBA job and gets along famously with his Suns' GM. The Suns have a history of letting coaches fulfil their contracts. So isn't this a nonsequitir??

Hornacek should be happy staying in Phoenix and trying to win a title (though he should dump those Morris twins or at least split them up ASAP). Meanwhile Fred should be happy in Ames winning a national title this season at ISU and being a hero in Ames forever while making a ton of money and having a bit less stress on his fixed-up heart. Both coaches should stay put.

No they shouldn't. They should do what they want to do. Hoiberg was always seen as an NBA guy. He wants to coach in the NBA. And college basketball blows.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 30, 2015 -> 11:07 PM)

ISU wasn't a Final Four team.

NBA Championship >>> NCAA Championship. Being a legend in Chicago >>> Legend in a college town.

That's probably his thought process.

Maybe Hornacek thinks that the Suns aren't going to be making the playoffs in the West over the next few years and thinks now's a good time to get out also.

And Alvin Gentry got named coach of the Pelicans. Interesting choice, they wanted a better offensive mind and they got one. I would have been very interested to see how JVG would have gone there though.