2014-2015 NBA thread

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 31, 2015 -> 12:25 AM)
ISU wasn't a Final Four team.

NBA Championship >>> NCAA Championship. Being a legend in Chicago >>> Legend in a college town.

That's probably his thought process.

Coaching at highest level too.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Heads22 @ May 31, 2015 -> 12:34 PM)
Hoiberg also interviewed with NO.

If he coaches the NBA team like ISU, plan on lots of 3s, average defense, lots of plays run through point forwards and the like

A lot of people want Jo gone, but in your opinion wouldn't he fit the bill as that point forward perfectly?

Watching highlights, looks like Niko could be similar to Niang. Though Niangs post game looks better.

All I know is I really hope they can somehow grab Wes Matthews or Danny Green in FA.

I don't watch the Bulls much.

Look up Royce White and Georges Niang highlights to see how he utilizes the big men as point forward. Fred values big guys that can handle the ball and White was the guy to actually bring the ball up the floor for us. Niang will often do the same

QUOTE (scs787 @ May 31, 2015 -> 01:58 PM)
A lot of people want Jo gone, but in your opinion wouldn't he fit the bill as that point forward perfectly?

Let's just note this - Noah's skill level only matters as long as he can play and be effective on the court. Maybe that means 20-25 mpg, maybe that means he's coming off the bench, I don't know yet. Hopefully a full offseason without having to rehab the surgery to actually rest those knees will help, even if they'll never be perfect again.

QUOTE (scs787 @ May 31, 2015 -> 12:58 PM)

Watching highlights, looks like Niko could be similar to Niang. Though Niangs post game looks better.

All I know is I really hope they can somehow grab Wes Matthews or Danny Green in FA.

If hoiberg is a great coach I'd like him to creat an offense that works best for this personnel, not for his offense.

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (scs787 @ May 31, 2015 -> 12:58 PM)

Is this possible? Zoom, I order you to speak up.

I'd be shocked if that's possible with BUtler coming up.

http://www.todaysfastbreak.com/nba-east/ce...egy-head-coach/

some good reading.

Re: J4L

Two main ways: His “fist” action uses screen the screener action where a shooter sets a cross screen for a post player and then receives a down screen for a shot. But the main way is spacing around pick-and-rolls. The penetration created by the pick-and-roll allows for kick-outs to open shooters. Hoiberg almost always has a shooter spaced on the weak side from the ball screen.
Edited by bmags

I would say true back to the basket post players would be devalued in Hoiberg’s system and springy and rangy baseline athletes would become prioritized.

If gibson is back, this is the small lineup we are talking about. Rose/Snell/Butler/Miro would be really interesting here.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 31, 2015 -> 01:53 PM)
Is this possible? Zoom, I order you to speak up.

It all depends if they're willing to take the MLE(5.4mill). Matthews might considering his coming off injury.

I'm sure zoom can figure out a scenario where the Bulls could spend more.

This will be an interesting off-season to say the least. Have to make sure Butler is back in Chicago and I think we will trade Noah or Taj even though I would like to see how Noah would do with a coach that will manage his minutes and put him in better situations (off the bench).

QUOTE (scs787 @ May 31, 2015 -> 02:28 PM)
It all depends if they're willing to take the MLE(5.4mill). Matthews might considering his coming off injury.

I'm sure zoom can figure out a scenario where the Bulls could spend more.

The cap's projected at $67 million right now, so the MLE is really their only recourse. They're above $62 million for 8 players, and that doesn't count Jimmy Buckets. I'm not 100% sure, but I think he'll still count at about $3 million from the last option year on his rookie deal. That still doesn't leave anything under the cap since they still need to fill several spots. From there, you get into attempts of dumping someone's salary to a team under the cap, which don't usually go anywhere because they can just sign FA's.

Whether they can get one of the guys for the MLE is another question entirely. I would assume they'd get more than that since everyone wants 3 and D guys now, but Mathews' injury is a major wildcard.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Between Noah, Pau, and Niko, you have three bigs who are really quite skilled on the offensive end and feel comfortable working outside the paint and moving the ball around. I think Hoiberg can really work with them without really compromising the way he usually runs things. Taj is less of a fit offensively but he obviously has value as a defensive player and great finisher around the rim.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 31, 2015 -> 03:50 PM)
The cap's projected at $67 million right now, so the MLE is really their only recourse. They're above $62 million for 8 players, and that doesn't count Jimmy Buckets. I'm not 100% sure, but I think he'll still count at about $3 million from the last option year on his rookie deal. That still doesn't leave anything under the cap since they still need to fill several spots. From there, you get into attempts of dumping someone's salary to a team under the cap, which don't usually go anywhere because they can just sign FA's.

Whether they can get one of the guys for the MLE is another question entirely. I would assume they'd get more than that since everyone wants 3 and D guys now, but Mathews' injury is a major wildcard.

With the looming cap explosion, you have to wonder if a guy like Mathews might go for a one-year MLE deal to rebuild his value coming into the more favorable FA year

According to Cowley, Taj was furious about Thibs being fired.

If so, I'd imagine Taj will be traded, which I kind of figured anyway.

If you can trade Taj and get Jimmy told hold off on offer sheets for a few days, M. Gasol actually is semi-possible I believe.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 31, 2015 -> 03:34 PM)

If you can trade Taj and get Jimmy told hold off on offer sheets for a few days, M. Gasol actually is semi-possible I believe.

I love Marc Gasol, but assuming neither take the MLE I'd rather Green or Matthews then use the MLE on another big or pg.

I'm cool with trading Taj though.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 31, 2015 -> 03:29 PM)
With the looming cap explosion, you have to wonder if a guy like Mathews might go for a one-year MLE deal to rebuild his value coming into the more favorable FA year

Given the history of guys with his injury, I'd take as much guaranteed money as I can if I were him. Most people with Achilles tears are never the same. If someone offers him something like 4-45, that'd be my pick. Who knows what the market is though.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 31, 2015 -> 03:34 PM)

The math doesn't work out on that. You would need to create at least $17 million of space for Marc (I'm too lazy to look up the exact number, but I'm pretty sure it's over that). Taj only makes $8.5 million.