2014-2015 NBA thread

Correct me when I'm wrong....

Hypothetically they trade Taj for a pick, that moves them to roughly 55mill of a 67mill cap. At that point assuming the timing is right, they could then sign Green/Wes first, then sign Butler, and then still use the MLE?

Edited by scs787

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dream scenario if that last post I made was possible....

Sign Green. Use the MLE on Jason Smith. Draft Tyus Jones.

Rose/Jones/Moore

Green/Snell

Butler/McBuckets

Pau/Niko

Noah/Smith

If guys like Snell and Dougie turn into good shooters that team would have range for days.

QUOTE (scs787 @ May 31, 2015 -> 05:13 PM)
Dream scenario if that last post I made was possible....

Sign Green. Use the MLE on Jason Smith. Draft Tyus Jones.

Rose/Jones/Moore

Green/Snell

Butler/McBuckets

Pau/Niko

Noah/Smith

If guys like Snell and Dougie turn into good shooters that team would have range for days.

Hinrich will certainly grab his player option.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 31, 2015 -> 04:15 PM)
gasol is obviously awesome and an upgrade but what a ridiculous team structure to have pau noah marc and niko. Not sure why he was even mentioned.

The assumption would be Noah taking a drastically reduced role so that he can be pseudo-healthy.

C - Marc (34) / Noah (14)

PF - Pau (28) / Niko (16) / Noah (4)

SF - Snell (20) / McDermott (20) / Niko (8)

Ok, yeah, it does look ridiculous. But it'd be awesome.

I also just crunched the numbers and it wouldn't be possible. So...whoops.

Would need to trade Noah, which as much as that would hurt to see him in another uniform, I'd get over it for Marc. Plus, is there any doubt that Noah would have a return tour a la Kirk, hopefully in a reduced role?

QUOTE (scs787 @ May 31, 2015 -> 04:31 PM)
Correct me when I'm wrong....

Hypothetically they trade Taj for a pick, that moves them to roughly 55mill of a 67mill cap. At that point assuming the timing is right, they could then sign Green/Wes first, then sign Butler, and then still use the MLE?

The short answer: no.

The long answer...

1) You can't use the MLE if you use cap space to sign free agents. It's one or the other, not both.

2) They would only be able to do a Taj deal like that if the team receiving him is far enough under the cap to absorb his entire salary. If not, trade salary matching rules apply and the discussion gets a lot more annoying. That's a fairly limited pool of teams to draw from.

3) That $57 million figure isn't totally accurate because of cap holds. You need to be able to field a full roster with a minimum of 13 players and pay your draft picks. That $57 million assumes Jimmy at his $3 million option and is only for 9 players. Near as I can tell on a quick search, Jimmy's cap hold is actually $5 million unless something is signed. There's also a hold of around $1 million for their first round pick, plus the minimum salary times 3 more spots (I believe it's around $1 million total for that). If you add those, you basically have the same thing as the MLE. You also have to renounce the Bird rights for any other free agents to clear their cap holds (the most relevant being Dunleavy).

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 1, 2015 -> 06:40 AM)
The latest mock draft on SheridanHoops says that the Bulls are exploring the option of trading Taj and/or Noah. Says the Bulls and Celtics have been the 2 most active teams in trade talks (not with each other).

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2015/05/30/mo...-and-then-what/

That is the scenario which gives the Bulls the cap space to go for Love / Aldridge / Gasol.

if you can get some value out of your draft picks, that will be very big, whether it involves trading Noah/Taj or not. It's basically the #1 way to remain competitive once your best players are off their rookie contracts

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 1, 2015 -> 11:44 AM)
That is the scenario which gives the Bulls the cap space to go for Love / Aldridge / Gasol.

To go for both Love and Aldridge? Is that financially possible?

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 1, 2015 -> 11:52 AM)
if you can get some value out of your draft picks, that will be very big, whether it involves trading Noah/Taj or not. It's basically the #1 way to remain competitive once your best players are off their rookie contracts

Which the front office has been able to do. The only for sure bust in recent memory was Marquis Teague.

Noah

Rose

James Johnson / Taj Gibson

No first to try and acquire two max players.

Jimmy and Mirotic

Marquis Teague

Snell

McDermott

Right now of those nine, five are sure fire wins. James Johnson has turned into a good player, but after he was bad for the Bulls he was turned into Mirotic. Snell looked good when he got consistent minutes last year so you have to hope he can continue that, McDermott has the jury out to the hilariously limited playing time.

The good drafting is really the only reason the FO is getting another chance, in my opinion.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 1, 2015 -> 03:05 PM)
I know you should never refuse an all star when you have 2 fine players, but Kevin Love is not the fit it used to be

Love would be a great fit with Derrick Rose. He can run the pick and roll, and he can bang inside if he needs to.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 1, 2015 -> 04:21 PM)
Love would be a great fit with Derrick Rose. He can run the pick and roll, and he can bang inside if he needs to.

I know he's put up better numbers already in his career...but is love really that different in style from Mirotic?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 1, 2015 -> 03:33 PM)
I know he's put up better numbers already in his career...but is love really that different in style from Mirotic?

Love is stronger and about 5 years further down the growth curve.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 1, 2015 -> 04:35 PM)
Love is stronger and about 5 years further down the growth curve.

So your answer to "is he that different in style" is no? I don't see the actual question I asked answered there.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 1, 2015 -> 03:37 PM)
So your answer to "is he that different in style" is no? I don't see the actual question I asked answered there.

I am sure you are trying to set up something here, so i am just going to walk away again.