2014-2015 NBA thread

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And he's "The Mayor" for crying out loud. A couple months ago on CyFan they had a legitimate thread started trying to garner enough votes to convince the powers at be in Ames to change the name of the town to Hoiberg, IA.

Little did they know it appears he's been looking for a ticket out of that hell hole for quite awhile.

#3 is exactly what I was thinking as well when I read Jon's post from earlier. TJ's ability to recruit players to come play for him will be the biggest key to his success. He was able to convince guys to come play for Hoiberg quite well, but he had Fred Hoiberg to sell. Fred's NBA experience both on the court and in the front office. His NBA style of play and his hands off mentality that he takes to coaching his players. Fred is well known for his long distance shooting ability as well so I'm sure that was a big selling point too. Learning from a shooter like Fred is huge.

TJ doesn't have Fred to sell anymore, but he did spend a lot of time learning from Fred himself. Whether or not that will be enough to attract good players remains to be seen. It certainly won't be as easy.

Sampling of comments at hawkeyenation.com, haha

Actually, with a consensus Top 10 team coming into next season...it's both an enviable but also "pressure cooker" situation where the fan base expectation is an Elite 8 appearance right off the bat. If the new coach can do that or something similar, he can leverage it in recruiting. If the players turn on each other or the coach and things don't work out so well, then you're going to have a much harder time rebooting and building a solid foundation from the very ground up.

Edited by caulfield12

OK. Here's an outsider's point of view. Why in the world is Hoiberg an upgrade over Thibs? Answer he's not. This is a ridiculous hire. I cannot believe Thibs and Scott Brooks were replaced by Hoiberg and Billy Donovan respectively. LOL hires. Hoiberg will be gone after 3 seasons with pressure to can him after two. Donovan may not even last a full season.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 3, 2015 -> 02:10 AM)
OK. Here's an outsider's point of view. Why in the world is Hoiberg an upgrade over Thibs? Answer he's not. This is a ridiculous hire. I cannot believe Thibs and Scott Brooks were replaced by Hoiberg and Billy Donovan respectively. LOL hires. Hoiberg will be gone after 3 seasons with pressure to can him after two. Donovan may not even last a full season.

Thibs has done nothing in the playoffs and getting there isn't enough given we play in the Eastern conference, the way it was handled was terrible but there definitely is nothing wrong with firing him. We also have had no clue offensively with him as coach during his entire time here, basically if the pg doesn't score a bunch we are in trouble.

Scott brooks isn't a good a coach so not sure why you bring him up or compare his situation to Thibs.

Lots of nonsense in one paragraph that an "outsider" shouldn't throw out there.

How do we know he's not an upgrade? Donovan may not last a full season? This isn't MLB. Coaches get a few years.

If the Bulls don't take the next step in 3 years, Hoiberg probably will be gone along with everyone as the rebuild.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 3, 2015 -> 05:33 AM)
Lots of nonsense in one paragraph that an "outsider" shouldn't throw out there.

How do we know he's not an upgrade? Donovan may not last a full season? This isn't MLB. Coaches get a few years.

If the Bulls don't take the next step in 3 years, Hoiberg probably will be gone along with everyone as the rebuild.

There haven't been many top coaches from the college ranks who could succeed equally well in the NBA.

Wooden Jr. /Stevens with the Celtics and Larry Brown immediately come to mind. Lon Kruger wins everywhere but in the pros. P.J. Carlesimo had moderate pro success after Seton Hall but is mostly remembered today as the coach Latrell Sprewell choked.

For every example like that, there are five or ten Pitinos or Caliparis.

http://abc7chicago.com/sports/college-coac...ts-them/762899/

Billy Donovan is a much better basketball coach than Scott Brooks. It's not a ridiculous hire at all either. The Thibs/Management thing was over. It's well documented. Read about it before declaring yourself an outsider and then spewing ridiculous thoughts.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 3, 2015 -> 07:29 AM)
There haven't been many top coaches from the college ranks who could succeed equally well in the NBA.

Wooden Jr. /Stevens with the Celtics and Larry Brown immediately come to mind. Lon Kruger wins everywhere but in the pros. P.J. Carlesimo had moderate pro success after Seton Hall but is mostly remembered today as the coach Latrell Sprewell choked.

They usually come to awful situations though. Hoiberg, Stevens, and Donovan should all be in the playoffs next year.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 3, 2015 -> 07:29 AM)

There haven't been many top NBA coaches from that huge pool of NBA retreads either.

Conversely you can bring up Mark Jackson, who had a better record his last year in Golden State, got fired and was replaced by a guy who never coached a game at any level in Steve Kerr......Where are they now? Oh ya, the NBA finals after being one of the best overall teams the last 10 years or so.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 3, 2015 -> 12:11 PM)
Conversely you can bring up Mark Jackson, who had a better record his last year in Golden State, got fired and was replaced by a guy who never coached a game at any level in Steve Kerr......Where are they now? Oh ya, the NBA finals after being one of the best overall teams the last 10 years or so.

From all reports, Mark Jackson blackballed himself with how he acted

Yes, I think everyone out there knows how terrible of a "X's and O's" Coach Scott Brooks is. That's why Orlando fans are actually relieved we ended up with Skiles instead of Brooks, simply for that reason (if you can believe that).

I know Bogut has been taking some shots at Jackson this season about how he did as a coach, I think GS were smart to move on when they did.

I'm curious to see how the Bulls will look offensively now under Hoiberg. As I've said previously, the NBA is now all about spacing, ball movement and 3PT Shooting on the offensive end, and I think under Hoiberg, all of those things should at least improve from what they were under Thibs. Mirotic is probably the one you look at and think if he gets 30mins of playing time a game, he could make a serious leap with his numbers next season as that stretch 4 that has become so sought after these days.

Don't f*** it up with Fred, guys. You know how we feel about Big Frank as Sox fans? That doesn't even compare to Iowa State fans and Fred.

He's the best person you'll ever meet. I've met him on numerous occasions and talked with him a few times. He still went out of his way to say hi to me at a restaurant. He's the real deal as far as a person and the next bad thing I hear about him on that front will be the first.

I believe he is an elite offensive mind who will help the Bulls on offense. I'm just interested to see how you guys defend.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 05:12 AM)
Yes, I think everyone out there knows how terrible of a "X's and O's" Coach Scott Brooks is. That's why Orlando fans are actually relieved we ended up with Skiles instead of Brooks, simply for that reason (if you can believe that).

I know Bogut has been taking some shots at Jackson this season about how he did as a coach, I think GS were smart to move on when they did.

I'm curious to see how the Bulls will look offensively now under Hoiberg. As I've said previously, the NBA is now all about spacing, ball movement and 3PT Shooting on the offensive end, and I think under Hoiberg, all of those things should at least improve from what they were under Thibs. Mirotic is probably the one you look at and think if he gets 30mins of playing time a game, he could make a serious leap with his numbers next season as that stretch 4 that has become so sought after these days.

he is going to need a great game planner, someone who can draw up a good game plan.

i am saying this, b/c someone said Fred would see the bulls tape and he would draw up his offense from the bulls tape.

I know Fred's a very very nice guy. But I just can't see how anybody can honestly think he will do better than Thibs. Just as I don't see how a sane person would think Donovan could possibly do better than Brooks. When you fire a coach you are supposed to upgrade.

If I were the Bulls ... I'd have hired Brooks or Van Gundy or Larry Brown. Brown is healthy despite his age. If I went college ranks (Brown technically is college) I'd have gone Krzyzewski who might want to end his career in Chicago or Self over Hoiberg. Even Roy Williams. He might want to bail out of UNC with the sanctions coming.

Edited by greg775

Scott Brooks had argubly 2 top 5 NBA players on his team along with an elite defensive 4, and they couldn't win a championship. At somepoint you just have to move on, because it wasn't as if they didn't have the talent to get the job done.

If he coached say the Denver Nuggets instead over the past few years, I don't think that's a playoff team.

I compare Donovan to Brad Stevens. Would you rather have Brad Stevens or Scott Brooks as a coach?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 01:32 AM)
I know Fred's a very very nice guy. But I just can't see how anybody can honestly think he will do better than Thibs. Just as I don't see how a sane person would think Donovan could possibly do better than Brooks. When you fire a coach you are supposed to upgrade.

If I were the Bulls ... I'd have hired Brooks or Van Gundy or Larry Brown. Brown is healthy despite his age. If I went college ranks (Brown technically is college) I'd have gone Krzyzewski who might want to end his career in Chicago or Self over Hoiberg. Even Roy Williams. He might want to bail out of UNC with the sanctions coming.

He might not do better than Thibs in the short term, but in the long run, I could see him being a better coach for this team than Thibs.

For as good as a coach Thibs was, he had his flaws, and I think we would always be good with Thibs, we just won't get over the hump with him. You may not get a better coach with Hoiberg immediately, but at least you get one that should get along with the FO and won't cause any off court distractions.

P.S. definite no to Van Gundy or Larry Brown. They aren't upgrades to Thibs both in the short term and long term.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 01:32 AM)

How many rings has Thibbs brought to Chicago? He made the ECF once. Cry injuries but some of those may have been his fault with running guys into the ground.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 04:38 AM)
How many rings has Thibbs brought to Chicago? He made the ECF once. Cry injuries but some of those may have been his fault with running guys into the ground.

It is funny how the Bulls smear campaign organized months ago vs Thibs has been successful. Even thiugh he coached without his best player more than half the games during his tenure, he has a.top 5 all time winning percentage. His offense is old, horrible etc. yet somehow it was top 10 in efficiency with guys like Aaron Brooks and Kirk Hinrich getting decent minutes. He ran players into the ground, yet the only 2 with real heavy minutes were Pau, having his best season in years, and Jimmy Buckets, who somehow overcame being run into the ground last year and this to be voted the leagues most improved player. Maybe Thibs had to go, but there is no basketball reason that needed to happen. The hatchet job started stealthfully months ago, and kept on continuing. Just the other day i heard a media member slammimg Thibs for playing Noah 40 minutes a night on one leg. He played 40 minutes in 2 games this year. One was OT, one was double OT. The total lack of class the Bulls organization showed will bite them in the ass one day. I hope the Mayor succeeds, but I doubt he will squeeze more wins out of the team if the players reamin the same and Rose plays less than half the time.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 10:37 AM)
It is funny how the Bulls smear campaign organized months ago vs Thibs has been successful. Even thiugh he coached without his best player more than half the games during his tenure, he has a.top 5 all time winning percentage. His offense is old, horrible etc. yet somehow it was top 10 in efficiency with guys like Aaron Brooks and Kirk Hinrich getting decent minutes. He ran players into the ground, yet the only 2 with real heavy minutes were Pau, having his best season in years, and Jimmy Buckets, who somehow overcame being run into the ground last year and this to be voted the leagues most improved player. Maybe Thibs had to go, but there is no basketball reason that needed to happen. The hatchet job started stealthfully months ago, and kept on continuing. Just the other day i heard a media member slammimg Thibs for playing Noah 40 minutes a night on one leg. He played 40 minutes in 2 games this year. One was OT, one was double OT. The total lack of class the Bulls organization showed will bite them in the ass one day. I hope the Mayor succeeds, but I doubt he will squeeze more wins out of the team if the players reamin the same and Rose plays less than half the time.

most excellent post. i agree.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 09:38 AM)

even thou poster Dick Allen address this, i would like to add, the one key injury that derailed the bulls were the injuries to Rose. btw, no one is going to say that was Thibs fault.