2014-2015 NBA thread

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 29, 2015 -> 05:06 PM)
He'll be here in 2016 regardless

Yeah it seems that way. But how is having someone on the team that doesn't want to be there good for the team? I know he will be fighting for another contract if that is what happens but doesn't mean he will play good team ball.

Butler is by far my favorite on my team and I really hope everything we heard from other people isn't true and he truly wants to be here and he will sign a contract for 3+ years

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jun 29, 2015 -> 03:09 PM)
Yeah it seems that way. But how is having someone on the team that doesn't want to be there good for the team? I know he will be fighting for another contract if that is what happens but doesn't mean he will play good team ball.

Butler is by far my favorite on my team and I really hope everything we heard from other people isn't true and he truly wants to be here and he will sign a contract for 3+ years

Jimmy just doesn't seem like that kind of guy. I think he wants to be the face of a franchise but the dude has done nothing but put in the work and he deserves to get paid a lot of money and I hope and expect him to continue to put in the work and get better. I haven't heard one thing from him that bothers me through this process. I can't believe with his personality he isn't getting more marketing deals. I probably think that is what bothers him, with Rose on the Bulls, he probably feels his marketing ops have been limited but as his personality comes out and he signs this deal, more ops are going to pop up. He's so much more entertaining and marketable then Rose (personality and public speaking skills are superior).

Dunleavy indicates that he wants to come back to Bulls and also says any rift between Rose / Butler is chatter. Goes on to say he expects Butler to be back based upon conversations he has had w/Jimmy. Does indicate he is pushing for a pay raise from what he made this past year, which I am fine with. MDJ is a solid player to have and giving him a bit more juts means a bit more cash for JR to spend, doesn't block any moves.

So I read that the difference in income Jimmy could get if he signed the 1 year QO and then signed a 4 year offer elsewhere (unrestricted) in 2016 is basically $8M vs. the Bulls current 5 year max offer (same 5 year periods). If that is the case, vs the potential amount loss if he got hurt this year (now clearly he could get himself an insurance contract to ensure he's taken care of with injury, but I don't know that it is worth $8M in total over a 5 yr span. So with that in mind, I would think it would be hard for any agent to recommend he takes that 1 year qualifying offer vs. what is currently on the table.

Now the potential changes if he were to sign a 3 year guaranteed deal but even then, I really am curious if a team will ultimately give him an offer sheet. If they do, they have to know the Bulls will match under all scenarios (anything we match will be cheaper then what we already have offered him) so all they are going to do is tie up their cap space for 3 days. Having gone through the scenarios and if Butler follows logic, I don't see him getting that 3 year term sheet and thus I see him taking our 5 year deal.

His agents and the Bulls are going to play hardball because I'm sure he's going to do whatever he can to try and gain leverage to get exit clauses in their so he can go back and earn more money when CBA extends.

1) Just dawned on me...what team is going to offer a three-year deal now, knowing the Bulls will match and have offered more? A team that plans on trying to sign Jimmy in three years time?

2) They can bring back the entire roster + MMLE and vet minimums.

I'm expect the roster to be the same, minus Nazr and add Portis and a new backup PG, likely Stuckey getting the MMLE. I can also see kicking the tires on a non-guaranteed, vet-min Ben Gordon entirely in a microwave scorer if they're desperate role.

People might think Butler would be crazy to take a 1 year Qualifying Offer, especially if he's going to miss out on $8M.

However, I think he'll take that offer. Greg Monroe has been a good case example for everyone else to look at, he could have easily gotten 4/50 from Detroit last off-season, he takes the $3M/$4M instead, and is now probably getting at least $15M a season from the Knicks.

And I think Butler bets on himself, because of the cap increase next off-season. He could make up that $8M and easily triple that on a 5 year max deal with the new cap rise. Now who knows if a team is going to pay that for him, but if the Lakers don't get an Aldridge or Kevin Love, they could still have $40M-$50M to spend on someone in the next off-season, especially with Kobe's $26M coming off the books.

It's a risk no doubt, considering how much Butler played last off-season, and he could easily be a repeat of the Luol Deng situation all over again, but I reckon if he really wants to leave Chicago and bolt to Los Angeles, he'll bet on himself again.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 10:44 AM)
Am I alone in not really wanting Dunleavy back? Maybe on a one year to work McD into consistent PT but wouldn't be mad if he went elsewhere.

i agree, and i think he would help in developing McD.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 05:44 AM)
Am I alone in not really wanting Dunleavy back? Maybe on a one year to work McD into consistent PT but wouldn't be mad if he went elsewhere.

You're not alone. I feel like that money can be spent elsewhere. I want to get more athletic and less white but that's just me I guess. Dunleavy is good when his shot is falling but he's bad defensively and he'll take minutes from McDermott. I'd rather split the $$ between Stuckey and Barea and then trade Taj for another wing.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 05:44 AM)

With the cap, I don't think it is really that simple. It isn't like we can spend it on an equal player for a different position because of cap restrictions. Plus with the way the team is set up, he makes the team much better because he compliments both Rose and Butler's games.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 29, 2015 -> 07:39 PM)
Hilarious that people think a 1-year qualifying offer is even a thing.

Lil confused because team offered him both a 1 year qualifying and a full max offer. No player has every taken the one year qualifying over a full max offer. Maybe Butler is the first, we shall see. Yes, Ben Gordon and Greg Monroe turned down big deals to sign the qualifying offer, but they didn't turn down max deals.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 03:44 AM)

Buckets is going to get playing time this year but MDJ is just such a heady, good lockeroom guy and solid shooter and really two way player (never thought I'd say that). He's a versatile asset who makes our offense and court spacing so much better. I expect he won't get near the minutes he got last year, but that is okay. You also need to remember, if you don't bring him back, you don't get to spend that money elsewhere (only reason we can even bid on him is because we have his bird rights). That said, I'm one of MDJ's bigger fans and would love him back at say 2 yr's 12-14M.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 10:35 AM)
Lil confused because team offered him both a 1 year qualifying and a full max offer. No player has every taken the one year qualifying over a full max offer. Maybe Butler is the first, we shall see. Yes, Ben Gordon and Greg Monroe turned down big deals to sign the qualifying offer, but they didn't turn down max deals.

It is a different situation though, with the cap going up so much next year.

Butler will actually make more money if he gambles on himself and take the QO and then get the full max next year. But it's a gamble. I'd rather take the $90 million today and run with it.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 04:21 AM)
People might think Butler would be crazy to take a 1 year Qualifying Offer, especially if he's going to miss out on $8M.

However, I think he'll take that offer. Greg Monroe has been a good case example for everyone else to look at, he could have easily gotten 4/50 from Detroit last off-season, he takes the $3M/$4M instead, and is now probably getting at least $15M a season from the Knicks.

And I think Butler bets on himself, because of the cap increase next off-season. He could make up that $8M and easily triple that on a 5 year max deal with the new cap rise. Now who knows if a team is going to pay that for him, but if the Lakers don't get an Aldridge or Kevin Love, they could still have $40M-$50M to spend on someone in the next off-season, especially with Kobe's $26M coming off the books.

It's a risk no doubt, considering how much Butler played last off-season, and he could easily be a repeat of the Luol Deng situation all over again, but I reckon if he really wants to leave Chicago and bolt to Los Angeles, he'll bet on himself again.

People will throw out Greg Monroe, but Greg Monroe didn't get a full max offer from Detroit so he bet on himself and had more upside. But that upside is limited, the contract Monroe will sign this year is the contract that Butler has on the table (Monroe never had that offer on the table).

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 07:25 AM)
You're not alone. I feel like that money can be spent elsewhere. I want to get more athletic and less white but that's just me I guess. Dunleavy is good when his shot is falling but he's bad defensively and he'll take minutes from McDermott. I'd rather split the $$ between Stuckey and Barea and then trade Taj for another wing.

Hold on. That money can't get allocated to those guys. I'd rather just sign Stuckey with my tax payer exception and then have Dunleavy with bird rights and still have Taj. With Noah's knee, we can't afford to deal Taj, imo. Plus Taj is out with an ankle injury anyway so I don't see it. With MDJ / Snell / McBuckets / Butler (and a Stuckey or someone), I am comfortable with our 2 / 3 (plus Niko I'm sure will still get some time at the 3 as well). Then with Hinrich and Stuckey (or whomever else is signed), I'm more comfortable with our back-up PG situation.

Whenever I see a Taj trade rumor, I think, why would we downgrade our front court for such a minimal upgrade in the back court.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 08:01 AM)
With the cap, I don't think it is really that simple. It isn't like we can spend it on an equal player for a different position because of cap restrictions. Plus with the way the team is set up, he makes the team much better because he compliments both Rose and Butler's games.

The spacing on the court with MDJ is much better. Hopefully Snell can keep working on his 3 point shot as he can help (and is a solid defender with defensive upside) and at that same time, I'm hoping McDermott has a healthy off-season and can take steps forward, but having MDJ to learn from will be huge. We have to expect that the expectation is Hoiberg is going to get the young guys lots of developmental minutes. And my theory is, Noah can't be worse then last year, so any loss from Gasol should be offset by Noah's improvements.

I think we see Rose take steps forward (but that is a risky prop at best) but have potential upside in Niko / McD / Snell, not to mention fact that their should be a full off-season with the team gelling and I think the enhanced chemistry will go a long way. Like previous years, are we the favorite to win it all, no, but we'll be one of the top 5 teams in the league with a chance to win it all. And we still have young assets (yes some are aging but we still have young assets) and will have prime cap space in a couple years to make a run at Davis (to pair Davis / Butler / Niko).

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 10:37 AM)

Butler will actually make more money if he gambles on himself and take the QO and then get the full max next year. But it's a gamble. I'd rather take the $90 million today and run with it.

Exactly. Depending on how bad Butler wants it, it could be a BIG difference.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 08:37 AM)

With cap going up, it is estimated he could get about 8M more. The significant bump in cap is projected for 2 years from now (next year is going to go up but not near the uptick as 2 years from now). The bottom line is, Greg Monroe and Ben Gordon (who are two of the more recent examples) had more money at stake and potential upside then Butler has in this equation (unless of course Butler just wants to get away from the Bulls completely...but I don't buy that one bit...maybe if all thing were equal he'd rather go elsewhere, but he is on a contending team who drafted him, developed him, and just made him a max money offer and its also one of the largest markets). Bottom line, I'd be stunned if he took the 1 year qualifying offer.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 08:42 AM)
Broussard SAUCES say that Butler postponed meetings with LAL, BOS, PHI and DAL after the bulls offer

I really hope in next couple days he signs and we can move on to Dunleavy and adding a guy who can be a primary ballhandler and spell Rose (but also ideally play the 2).