2014-2015 NBA thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 7, 2015 -> 01:24 PM)
Unrelated sidenote, but for all the b****ing, Bulls could make a few maneuvers and have max money to throw around to the 2016 class (KD). You get their by moving Taj or having Gasol elect his player option and opting out. Could maneuver it many other ways as well. Thought that was interesting as this is a very good team who can contend (didn't say favorites but can absolutely contend) and should still remain attractive to major free agents.

I don't know if we will make the moves to do it or if Durant is the right guy to grab but interesting either way. I know the front office has whiffed at the big guys (but so have the Lakers) and in terms of the 3 largest markets we still would be on paper offering by far the best chance to contend and win a title.

KD is not coming to Chicago. We have had multiple "bulls clear out cap space to chase the star, this year it will happen!" moments. We all thought Love/Aldridge would be the ones that happened. They didn't. Melo didnt'. Lebron/Wade didn't. Davis won't. We may get a meeting, but he'll be going to Washington, OKC, NYK, Lakers, etc.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 7, 2015 -> 11:38 AM)
KD is not coming to Chicago. We have had multiple "bulls clear out cap space to chase the star, this year it will happen!" moments. We all thought Love/Aldridge would be the ones that happened. They didn't. Melo didnt'. Lebron/Wade didn't. Davis won't. We may get a meeting, but he'll be going to Washington, OKC, NYK, Lakers, etc.

He is not going to the Lakers or NYK. You can count on that. I think Washington / OKC are there and this isn't really a clear out the cap space to chase the star thing. We wouldn't have to do much to clear out the cap space (and in reality we are going to have at least $15M to play with unless we extend Noah in-season). And I did say I don't think Durant is coming here but he isn't the only FA available. The real reason behind my post was that we will have money to play with for the right piece(s) if they are out their.

I don't mind Brooks being back. Certainly not the purest of point guards but he's a good 3 pointer shooter. Also from all we've heard Fred might be running the offense through non point guards a good portion of the time.

Also means they can use their MLE on a SG/SF.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 7, 2015 -> 01:12 PM)
Aaron Brooks back on a one year deal.

I would have liked an upgrade, but it's better than him leaving and playing Kirk more.

I wanted Mo Williams. Aaron Brooks is fine for regular season. Useless in the playoffs.

feHrpYr.png

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 03:16 AM)
The Bucks owner is talking about moving.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basket...egas-or-seattle

Seattle should really be first in line when it comes to relocation assuming they can get the arena situation sorted themselves.

Vegas is interesting though, obviously the whole sports betting piece is still an issue though.

DeAndre to have final meeting w/Clippers. Has their been a high profile player who reached a verbal agreement who then switched. Not one of those, people reported but one of those, everyone reported and even Mark commented on it (and got fined) type of deal? Just curious. I presume their has, I just can't think of it.

I guess you had Boozer leaving Cleveland for Utah, but that was a bit different.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 01:00 PM)
DeAndre to have final meeting w/Clippers. Has their been a high profile player who reached a verbal agreement who then switched. Not one of those, people reported but one of those, everyone reported and even Mark commented on it (and got fined) type of deal? Just curious. I presume their has, I just can't think of it.

I guess you had Boozer leaving Cleveland for Utah, but that was a bit different.

I've never seen anything like that outside of the Boozer case. And like you said, the Boozer case was a bit different and IMO far worse.

LAC would be better for him, but this would really screw Dallas over considering they could have traded for someone like Hibbert. Now they might not have a center.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 01:26 PM)
How pissed is Cuban right now?

Apparently he is talking legal action for tampering. the grand offseason of Doc River, GM extraordinaire, continues

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 01:42 PM)
Apparently he is talking legal action for tampering. the grand offseason of Doc River, GM extraordinaire, continues

Is it really tampering though when no one has signed anything? I think this is more an unwritten rule than anything else. And Broussard (I think) reported that Jordan called Doc and told him he was unsure. So i'm sure the defense will be he reached out to me.

Also, if he leaves, Mavs fans should refer to to him as IDKWTI. #Illini #sourgrapes #EricGordonIsStillAPOS

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 01:46 PM)
Is it really tampering though when no one has signed anything? I think this is more an unwritten rule than anything else. And Broussard (I think) reported that Jordan called Doc and told him he was unsure. So i'm sure the defense will be he reached out to me.

Also, if he leaves, Mavs fans should refer to to him as IDKWTI. #Illini #sourgrapes #EricGordonIsStillAPOS

Verbal agreement, i have no idea how binding it is.

It is pretty bad form though. If a player agrees to terms and you move on to your next offseason move, only to have the player renege and go back to his former team, you have lost out on any potential replacement at that position.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 02:03 PM)
Verbal agreement, i have no idea how binding it is.

It is pretty bad form though. If a player agrees to terms and you move on to your next offseason move, only to have the player renege and go back to his former team, you have lost out on any potential replacement at that position.

What Carlos Boozer did to Cleveland was way worse and I don't think Boozer got in trouble for it legally.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 02:11 PM)
What Carlos Boozer did to Cleveland was way worse and I don't think Boozer got in trouble for it legally.

IIRC Boozer was the one doing the shady business though, correct? Whereas the Clippers are the ones coming in after the fact trying to get DJ back

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 02:22 PM)
IIRC Boozer was the one doing the shady business though, correct? Whereas the Clippers are the ones coming in after the fact trying to get DJ back

Yeah Boozer got the Cavs to let him out of his rookie contract with the promise to sign a 6 year deal worth $40 million with the Cavs. It made sense for both sides. Cavs would get to keep him longer while Boozer would make more than the $700k he was supposed to make in the last year of his contract.

Instead, Boozer got a way better offer from Utah and signed with them. Cleveland decided not to match.

I guess in this case, Cuban would be trying to go after the Clippers for tampering, but since there was no actual contract signed, he has no case. He could try going after Jordan since they had a verbal agreement, which is a lot like the Boozer situation, but there's nothing they can do legally there either.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 02:32 PM)
Yeah Boozer got the Cavs to let him out of his rookie contract with the promise to sign a 6 year deal worth $40 million with the Cavs. It made sense for both sides. Cavs would get to keep him longer while Boozer would make more than the $700k he was supposed to make in the last year of his contract.

Instead, Boozer got a way better offer from Utah and signed with them. Cleveland decided not to match.

I guess in this case, Cuban would be trying to go after the Clippers for tampering, but since there was no actual contract signed, he has no case. He could try going after Jordan since they had a verbal agreement, which is a lot like the Boozer situation, but there's nothing they can do legally there either.

Personally, I think a verbal commitment is a commitment and a deal is a deal, but didn't Billy Donovan make a commitment to coach an NBA team years ago, but backed out? In college football, verbal commitments seemingly mean next to nothing. I'm sure Jordan's Clipper teammates called him and had a lot to do with his flip flop, but that has never been considered tampering. In fact, I would bet Cuban has had Mav players talk to guys in the past. I do think Jordan is a doofus if he backs out. It does screw Dallas a bit, and with the salary cap I find that a bit unfair.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 11:42 AM)

How the heck have they tampered? Guy isn't under contract and he was last with the Clippers.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 03:06 PM)
How the heck have they tampered? Guy isn't under contract and he was last with the Clippers.

They are saying the verbal agreement. Nothing has been done yet so it is all threats until the pen meets the paper

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 8, 2015 -> 12:52 PM)
Personally, I think a verbal commitment is a commitment and a deal is a deal, but didn't Billy Donovan make a commitment to coach an NBA team years ago, but backed out? In college football, verbal commitments seemingly mean next to nothing. I'm sure Jordan's Clipper teammates called him and had a lot to do with his flip flop, but that has never been considered tampering. In fact, I would bet Cuban has had Mav players talk to guys in the past. I do think Jordan is a doofus if he backs out. It does screw Dallas a bit, and with the salary cap I find that a bit unfair.

The big thing that it does to Dallas too is they wouldn't have signed Wes Matthews if they didn't have Jordan (at least I don't think). I agree on Jordan's part, an agreement is an agreement, that said, I don't see how the verbal commitment is binding (given the type of contract being discussed). Reality is it is a risk that exists if the league is going to have this non-sense of you can verbally agree, but not sign. I think its all junk and you should be able to recruit and sign people at the same time. I know it in theory allows everyone to get their ducks in a row but if people are going to agree they are going to agree anyway.