2014-2015 NBA thread

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 09:05 AM)
Apparently Wade and Bosh arent really too keen on the smaller paychecks/longer deals now.

Losing out on Lowry and/or Gortat kind of limits their options on adding difference makers in this FA class, assuming they can't get Melo. The Heat's time might be done, so I'm curious what the ring chaser ends up doing.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 09:08 AM)
Losing out on Lowry and/or Gortat kind of limits their options on adding difference makers in this FA class, assuming they can't get Melo. The Heat's time might be done, so I'm curious what the ring chaser ends up doing.

I wonder is Wade and Bosh now realize maybe opting out while noble, wasn't so smart.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 09:10 AM)
I wonder is Wade and Bosh now realize maybe opting out while noble, wasn't so smart.

everyone in Miami is at Lebrons mercy right now. How can you possibly tell that guy he isnt getting the Max? and if he is offered and takes the max, where does that leave the rest of the team?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 09:05 AM)
Apparently Wade and Bosh arent really too keen on the smaller paychecks/longer deals now.

I don't think Wade would have had many better options anyway, but Bosh definitely would have.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 09:13 AM)
I don't think Wade would have had many better options anyway, but Bosh definitely would have.

Well his better option would be to NOT opt out, no?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 09:13 AM)

Which is exactly why Wade should not have opted out if he's concerned about a smaller paycheck.

Anyways I'm all aboard the Bosh bandwagon.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 09:16 AM)
Well his better option would be to NOT opt out, no?

Yeah, ideally from his financial standpoint he would not have opted out, but then there is zero chance LeBron stays and he is screwed either way. Taking the new deal with Miami is still probably better than what other teams would have offered him given his recent sucktitude.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 10:26 AM)
Yeah, ideally from his financial standpoint he would not have opted out, but then there is zero chance LeBron stays and he is screwed either way. Taking the new deal with Miami is still probably better than what other teams would have offered him given his recent sucktitude.

I think you're seriously overestimating NBA owners/GMs.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 09:08 AM)

Who is the ring chaser? Is that some genius dig at Lebron? I'm very confused.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 09:28 AM)
Who is the ring chaser? Is that some genius dig at Lebron? I'm very confused.

Genius? Absolutely not. My guess is you haven't been following the NBA all that long if you didn't get the reference.

Well, in the summer of 2010 Lebron James decided to team up with two other top 5 to top 10 players in the NBA. One of those top 5 players had been with the team already and had won a championship as the man. That was when the whole "ring chaser" thing started. I didn't come up with it on my own, unfortunately.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 09:35 AM)
Genius? Absolutely not. My guess is you haven't been following the NBA all that long if you didn't get the reference.

Well, in the summer of 2010 Lebron James decided to team up with two other top 5 to top 10 players in the NBA. One of those top 5 players had been with the team already and had won a championship as the man. That was when the whole "ring chaser" thing started. I didn't come up with it on my own, unfortunately.

Right but it's stupid. I don't think the guy can be classified as a ring chaser if he's the best player on the team. Basically any team that Lebron goes to becomes a title contender. I think a ring chaser is like what Karl Malone did joining the Lakers or even Ray Allen on the current Heat teams.

Have we all stopped reading the reports on Carmelo? Some of it just doesn't make any sense. Yesterday on twitter, former NBA PG Kenny Anderson said that Melo wasn't happy with Bulls offer and would be going back to NY. I tweeted back and forth with Anderson and I asked him if Carmelo wanted Taj to stay. Anderson said Yes. I explained to him that if Taj stays, Melo will have to take something resembling like a 4 year $70 million deal. He said and that's the issue. So what is it? He can't have Taj Gibson and more $$. It just doesn't make any sense. He's probably going back to New York but when he does I hope he doesn't talk about wanting to win at the podium.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 09:41 AM)
Right but it's stupid. I don't think the guy can be classified as a ring chaser if he's the best player on the team. Basically any team that Lebron goes to becomes a title contender. I think a ring chaser is like what Karl Malone did joining the Lakers or even Ray Allen on the current Heat teams.

Oh, well you could have just said you thought it was stupid then. You didn't really have to ask if I meant Lebron.

If you google "ring chaser" or "ring chaser Lebron James" you'll find lots of things that talk about the issue and Lebron.

I agree that he makes any team a title contender, as he showed the ability to take Cleveland deep in to the playoffs and got home court advantage a few of those years. If he would have joined a team like the Bulls, NY, or stayed in Cleveland he wouldn't have been labeled a ring chaser because he wouldn't have been joining a team with multiple superstars (one of which won with the franchise already). It may not be fair, but it's something that will hang over his head throughout time.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 09:41 AM)

They didn't do any of that at the peak of their careers though. Same with the Boston 3. I think that's stuff more excusable when you're at the end of your career and you're not the same player but you want that ring. Barkley did that with Houston a long time ago too.

I don't really fault Lebron for it, but at some point that does diminish your legacy if you basically become a gun for hire.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 09:45 AM)
Have we all stopped reading the reports on Carmelo? Some of it just doesn't make any sense. Yesterday on twitter, former NBA PG Kenny Anderson said that Melo wasn't happy with Bulls offer and would be going back to NY. I tweeted back and forth with Anderson and I asked him if Carmelo wanted Taj to stay. Anderson said Yes. I explained to him that if Taj stays, Melo will have to take something resembling like a 4 year $70 million deal. He said and that's the issue. So what is it? He can't have Taj Gibson and more $$. It just doesn't make any sense. He's probably going back to New York but when he does I hope he doesn't talk about wanting to win at the podium.

That's the only time I've heard anything about him being unhappy with the offer.

Edited by scs787

Unless he is an idiot who doesn't get math, the most he can do is be disappointed that the offer can't be bigger.

But

The Knicks can offer Anthony nearly $33 million more than other teams in free agency — with a five-year maximum of $129.1 million to stay.

“If I was to go with another team, I’d be taking less money anyway. . . . Let’s be quite frank. At this point in my career, I’m not concerned about the money. The contract will be the contract regardless,” Anthony said. “Without a doubt, at this point in my career it’s about winning. Nothing else even matters. That’s not going to change. That’s still going to be my mind-set, it is my mind-set. You know, that’s going to be my No. 1 thing.”

He knows and has known all along what teams can offer him. If he goes back to the Knicks, it will be about the money, which is fine, but makes him a phony.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 04:00 PM)
That's the only time I've heard anything about him being unhappy with the offer.

That's because Kenny Anderson doesn't have sources.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 10:17 AM)
It's not unreasonable for Melo to talk things out with us and decide that he can't balance his interests and the Bulls interests.

As long as it isn't ultimately about money, I agree.

If it is about the money, the entire exercise is a big waste of time for all involved, except it gets Melo some free dinners and attention, and gets a few cities fawning over him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 10:21 AM)
As long as it isn't ultimately about money, I agree.

If it is about the money, the entire exercise is a big waste of time for all involved, except it gets Melo some free dinners and attention, and gets a few cities fawning over him.

...Unless a sign and trade happens