2014-2015 NBA thread

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 08:26 PM)
it guarantees a certain percentage of the revenue going towards the players. That's why it's there. If you want to lower that floor, the players will need to get something else in return for giving up some guaranteed revenue sharing.

I get they have to guarantee a percentage, but that's a crazy high floor and there are other ways to do it. Like I said, you can compensate by relaxing the crazy luxury tax penalties a bit or raising the luxury tax line so the teams that can spend/want to spend can go a bit higher. I'm sure there's other more clever ways to compensate as well. Even a $45 million floor would result in a lot of saved money for crappy teams, then they wouldn't need as much in revenue sharing money to stay viable.

There's also already an escrow system set up for that purpose, they take a chunk of the player's paychecks and then distribute it as necessary at the end of the year.

Most teams are at the cap once the year starts anyways, it just seems a bit goofy to me and would bother me if I were a team like the Sixers right now.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 02:42 AM)
I get they have to guarantee a percentage, but that's a crazy high floor and there are other ways to do it. Like I said, you can compensate by relaxing the crazy luxury tax penalties a bit or raising the luxury tax line so the teams that can spend/want to spend can go a bit higher. I'm sure there's other more clever ways to compensate as well. Even a $45 million floor would result in a lot of saved money for crappy teams, then they wouldn't need as much in revenue sharing money to stay viable.

There's also already an escrow system set up for that purpose, they take a chunk of the player's paychecks and then distribute it as necessary at the end of the year.

Most teams are at the cap once the year starts anyways, it just seems a bit goofy to me and would bother me if I were a team like the Sixers right now.

But this wouldn't accomplish the goal of all major leagues to punish successful franchises and prop up weak ones.

I couldn't care less about Anthony at this point, he was always stayng in NY and it was always about dat money. I'm much more interested in where James ends up. Things are looking like he's going back to Cleveland which gives us a year or two max window in the East to get to the Finals. I honestly believe LeBron in the Cavs and even with Love, they aren't making the Finals right away, it takes some time to mesh and they have alot of youngsters who've never even gotten to the playoffs. I can't believe some of you guys think they're instant contenders, even with Love. Don't get me wrong, they'll be good but their youth, they'll need to mature. I think in 2 or more likely 3 years, they should be killing the East.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 08:48 PM)
I couldn't care less about Anthony at this point, he was always stayng in NY and it was always about dat money. I'm much more interested in where James ends up. Things are looking like he's going back to Cleveland which gives us a year or two max window in the East to get to the Finals. I honestly believe LeBron in the Cavs and even with Love, they aren't making the Finals right away, it takes some time to mesh and they have alot of youngsters who've never even gotten to the playoffs. I can't believe some of you guys think they're instant contenders, even with Love. Don't get me wrong, they'll be good but their youth, they'll need to mature. I think in 2 or more likely 3 years, they should be killing the East.

Yeah right, LeBron was getting the Cavs to the finals with absolute garbage round him. If he has Love/Wiggins, Kyrie, and what other veterens follow theyll come out of the east no problem.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 08:48 PM)

lol@all of this. LeBron/Love+Irving would be like Garnett/Allen+Pierce in '08. They'd be devastating offensively. Defensively there would be some question marks (have to see what the roster would like around them). But defensive schemes have become so good that you can cover up multiple weaknesses in that area. No east team outside of maybe Toronto would have a legit chance of beating them.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 08:20 PM)
SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter 1m

Chris Bosh has decided to sign with Rockets if LeBron James leaves Heat.

What a p****. You are a grown-ass man. Sign the deal and don't let "The King" f***ing own you. What an idiot.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 09:07 PM)
lol@all of this. LeBron/Love+Irving would be like Garnett/Allen+Pierce in '08. They'd be devastating offensively. Defensively there would be some question marks (have to see what the roster would like around them). But defensive schemes have become so good that you can cover up multiple weaknesses in that area. No east team outside of maybe Toronto would have a legit chance of beating them.

Not all teams run these great defensive schemes well. Coaching matters quite a bit and we don't know how the new cavs coach is going to be. You have to remember that those celtics teams not only had doc rivers at the helm, but also had Thibs coaching defense.

The cavs would easily be the favorite in the east. Easily. The east is a joke. I don't see them beating the spurs, thunder, or rockets in a finals though.

QUOTE (TRU @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 09:03 PM)
Yeah right, LeBron was getting the Cavs to the finals with absolute garbage round him. If he has Love/Wiggins, Kyrie, and what other veterens follow theyll come out of the east no problem.

We'll agree to disagree, LeBron had a team that was pretty good defensively, you're asking too much of youngsters like Wiggins, Kyrie, Bennett etc to become good defensively right away. It takes time to develope. Unless the Cavs completely change their roster, they'll be a young team that'll need to play together a while to start getting close to their potential. Also, who knows how that coach they hired turns out. Sorry, I just can't see them as automatic contenders.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 09:19 PM)
We'll agree to disagree, LeBron had a team that was pretty good defensively, you're asking too much of youngsters like Wiggins, Kyrie, Bennett etc to become good defensively right away. It takes time to develope. Unless the Cavs completely change their roster, they'll be a young team that'll need to play together a while to start getting close to their potential. Also, who knows how that coach they hired turns out. Sorry, I just see them as automatic contenders.

Wiggins will be good defensively from day one, but I agree with your general premise. Teams usually take time to mesh. The celtics were different because you teamed up 3 veterans near their prime and they had stellar coaching.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 09:07 PM)

We disagree. Learning to play together just doesn't happen right away, especially one so young so as these Cavs. And as you mentioned, the roster the Cavs are building look defensively challenged.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 09:19 PM)
Not all teams run these great defensive schemes well. Coaching matters quite a bit and we don't know how the new cavs coach is going to be. You have to remember that those celtics teams not only had doc rivers at the helm, but also had Thibs coaching defense.

The cavs would easily be the favorite in the east. Easily. The east is a joke. I don't see them beating the spurs, thunder, or rockets in a finals though.

These days all you need is a legit anchor/rim protector (Garnett, Chandler, Noah, Duncan) and a sound defensive system and you can be an elite defense. I forgot that Mike Brown got fired again. So yeah, coach will be key.

Are we talking about whether the Cavs will be the favorite or if they're going to be the automatic Finals representative from the East, don't even bother watching the playoffs?

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 09:27 PM)
Are we talking about whether the Cavs will be the favorite or if they're going to be the automatic Finals representative from the East, don't even bother watching the playoffs?

I'd hope the favorite. They'd also be really fun to watch with the bonus of enjoying seeing a completely empty American Airlines Arena.

Also, check your GTT email.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 09:25 PM)
We disagree. Learning to play together just doesn't happen right away, especially one so young so as these Cavs. And as you mentioned, the roster the Cavs are building look defensively challenged.

Time for a new sig, no?

QUOTE (TRU @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 09:24 PM)
Ok so who is the favorite? The Bulls? Hold on while I go laugh uncontrollably for the next 10 minutes

Laugh all you want, the vacuum created by the Heat's demise will put the Bulls with a healthy Rose, Pacers, Wizards and Raptors in position to take the East before the Cavs get their s*** down and dominate the rest of the decade.

I can't believe you guys think LeBron can lead a bunch of young guys who've never even been in the playoffs and now they're supposed to be favorites. It'll take them a year or two, and that's going with the premise that their new coach, who's never coached in the NBA, can actually coach on this level.

I can't believe you guys can't see the question marks.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 09:34 PM)
Laugh all you want, the vacuum created by the Heat's demise will put the Bulls, Pacers, Wizards and Raptors in position to take the East before the Cavs get their s*** down and dominate the rest of the decade.

I can't believe you guys think LeBron can lead a bunch of young guys who've never even been in the playoffs and now they're supposed to be favorites. It'll take them a year or two, and that's going with the premise that their new coach, who's never coached in the NBA, can actually coach on this level.

Youre so off base here its ridiculous. LeBron, Love, and Kyrie will have a better supporting cast than the heat had and they would get to the finals with ease. If its Wiggins, LeBron, and Kyrie I still would put them as favorites, but not auto.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 09:34 PM)
Laugh all you want, the vacuum created by the Heat's demise will put the Bulls with a healthy Rose, Pacers, Wizards and Raptors in position to take the East before the Cavs get their s*** down and dominate the rest of the decade.

And it begins.

QUOTE (TRU @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 09:40 PM)
Youre so off base here its ridiculous. LeBron, Love, and Kyrie will have a better supporting cast than the heat had and they would get to the finals with ease. If its Wiggins, LeBron, and Kyrie I still would put them as favorites, but not auto.

The LeBron hate by some around here is so undying it's commendable.