2014-2015 NBA thread

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 08:58 AM)
By the time the playoffs start, the Cavs would have played 82 regular season games, however many preseason games, and countless hours of practice. They'll have meshed. I mean, LeBron was in Miami for 4 years and over the last 4 years, the Eastern Conference representative has been the Miami Heat. That's not a coincidence.

Basically, the [City] [LeBron's] are the favorite to reach the NBA Finals in the [Direction] Conference.

No. In the Eastern conference, yes, but not in "[Direction] Conference".

You're also giving a bit too much credit to Lebron. Bosh is being signed to a max deal for a reason and Wade played fine for most of the playoffs, although the Eastern conference is a joke.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 07:11 AM)
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/23420...rade-For-Boozer

Sources indicate that the Chicago Bulls hope to pursue a sign-and-trade with the Los Angeles Lakers involving Pau Gasol and the expiring contract of Carlos Boozer.

The window to use the amnesty provision on Boozer officially started on Wednesday night.

By trading Boozer in a deal for Gasol, the Bulls would keep their exceptions to target players such as possibly Nikola Mirotic, Trevor Ariza, Shawn Marion, Kirk Hinrich and Ramon Sessions. It is unlikely that a deal with Gasol would be longer than three years.

Gasol is reportedly considering the Oklahoma City Thunder, San Antonio Spurs and Lakers in addition to the Bulls.

Via K.C. Johnson/Chicago Tribune

Not sure if Gasol and Ariza will be an upgrade over Boozer and Deng we had for the past 3 and 1/2 years.

I'd rather target Born Ready and another backup defensive big rather than Gasol to give Mirotic more playing time

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 01:43 PM)
Ya I don't get the point of Pau at all.

For one, Nazr Muhammed was our backup C last year, so Noah played lots of minutes, or Taj played lots of minutes at 4 and 5 with Boozer at 4.

This would allow a heavy defensive unit of Noah/Taj, or a really nice offensive unit of Gasol/Mirotic/Dunleavy/Doug or backup PG like Augustin if available

You'd have 3 3-point shooters on the floor at the same time and a C who could find that outlet. When have we had that in past 4 years?

It's not going to win you a championship but I'm resigned to that. It will provide more entertaining basketball for 82 games and as much as I b**** I'm going to watch the bulls until we lose the Jabari sweepstakes in '18.

The reason I like the S&T is it leaves us with the ML to use on Mirotic.

My issue with Gasol is you still don't have a scorer. Ok great, you have a good passer, but who is he passing it to? You know in the 4th Taj will be on the floor. So you have what, Noah, Taj, Gasol, Butler, Rose? Again, who is shooting the open shot?

And really that line-up makes no sense if you're playing against a smaller team. Noah and Gasol are slow. So more realistically you're getting Gasol as a back-up/2nd unit guy. Which I guess is fine, but in the playoffs those guys don't really play THAT much.

IMO Butler needs to go (or needs to become a back-up) and we need a better shooting guard/small forward. That is the key. Then hope Rose is Rose, Noah is Noah, and the new guys can contribute here and there and the offense becomes more of a unit than individuals.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 03:22 PM)
My issue with Gasol is you still don't have a scorer. Ok great, you have a good passer, but who is he passing it to? You know in the 4th Taj will be on the floor. So you have what, Noah, Taj, Gasol, Butler, Rose? Again, who is shooting the open shot?

And really that line-up makes no sense if you're playing against a smaller team. Noah and Gasol are slow. So more realistically you're getting Gasol as a back-up/2nd unit guy. Which I guess is fine, but in the playoffs those guys don't really play THAT much.

IMO Butler needs to go (or needs to become a back-up) and we need a better shooting guard/small forward. That is the key. Then hope Rose is Rose, Noah is Noah, and the new guys can contribute here and there and the offense becomes more of a unit than individuals.

I don't think that 3 big lineup would play. But Taj/Gasol can hit 17 footers.

I mean, you are right I'd much rather have a wing. But I'm glad they are pursuing sign and trade rather than amnesty + sign as it leaves us more flexibility.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 10:22 AM)

The question you're dancing around is...assuming the Bulls have missed on Anthony, what player could they feasibly get that fills your requirements, and would that actually make them competitive for the title in the east?

Hard for me to see the answer to the 2nd of those being yes for just about any random solid but unspectacular shooting SF.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 09:27 AM)
The question you're dancing around is...assuming the Bulls have missed on Anthony, what player could they feasibly get that fills your requirements, and would that actually make them competitive for the title in the east?

Hard for me to see the answer to the 2nd of those being yes for just about any random solid but unspectacular shooting SF.

If it's Ariza, Gasol, Mirotic, and McDermott, I think they can win the East. Remember that Derrick Rose will be back people. That team is good for an ECF appearance.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 09:26 AM)
I still can't believe Parsons got 15 million a year.

I heard on the radio this morning that he was under contract with Houston for 900k for another year. THEY allowed him to become a restricted FA. And now they're either going to lose him or pay him 14-15 million/year. What a dumb ass move.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 09:27 AM)

You're right, but I dunno, what's the point of throwing money at a guy you know won't really help much. I guess getting Boozer out of here is a big plus.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 10:39 AM)
You're right, but I dunno, what's the point of throwing money at a guy you know won't really help much. I guess getting Boozer out of here is a big plus.

Basically if the Bulls miss out on Anthony the question winds up being...should the Bulls try to put together a team that has a legit shot at the 2nd round or not? Gasol + Ariza + McDermott + Mirotic in exchange for Boozer, Hinrich, etc., should be a somewhat stronger roster than last year.

I'm open to other options but assuming that like always they miss out on the big names because reasons, what else can they do? Only other version I could see is the "trade DRose and start anew" option. May as well try to put out a team that can make the 2nd round and hope that Doug turns into Larry Bird and Mirotic turns into Nowitzki.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 07:14 AM)
Not sure if Gasol and Ariza will be an upgrade over Boozer and Deng we had for the past 3 and 1/2 years.

I'd rather target Born Ready and another backup defensive big rather than Gasol to give Mirotic more playing time

Ariza doesn't sound like a good idea to me. He's been good in all of 2 years, being contract years.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 07:38 AM)
I heard on the radio this morning that he was under contract with Houston for 900k for another year. THEY allowed him to become a restricted FA. And now they're either going to lose him or pay him 14-15 million/year. What a dumb ass move.

Yep; However, I think they did this alternative because they figured he'd get his fair contract and then they would match him anyway. They are going to match. Just shortens the window to 3 days that they have this other cap room for Bosh before his cap hold jumps another 13M.

My plan is as follows (if no Melo):

S&T Boozer for Gasol at 7M. We get a TPE and the Bulls trade Boozer (plus a pick or something) for Gasol(signed at 7million) + TPE? That TPE + Dunleavy (unless they prefer Snell) in a S&T for Lance Stephenson (~10-11M per for 4 years). Then sign Mirotic to the MLE and go with DJ Augsustin or Ramon Sessions at the BAE. Bring back Kirk at a veteran minimum. Call it a day.

Note: I've seen mixed things on trading a TPE + a player in a S&T. Some things I've read say you can, others say you can't.

That would be a deep team with some good shooting. Ideally we'd have one more proven shooter but DJ, Mirotic, McBucketts all good shooters. Lots of depth in the post game, which should hopefully minimize Noah's minutes. Great defense on the wings. Stephenson will be a signficant upgrade to defense. Pau provides us with a nice post game and provides a great role model for Nikolai. Oh and we also have Snell still, who looks like he should be a good shooter and Thibbs has continued to praise his work ethic. Hopefully he makes some strides.

Hard part is spacing will be limited with our starting lineup with Rose, Lance, Jimmy Buckets, Taj, and Noah. However, throughout the game significant options of guys that could come in and open up the spacing with Gasol, Mirotic, Dougie McBuckets, Snell, and DJ (plus even Hinrich who I think will be fairly productive as a 3rd stringer with more limited minutes). That is a team that could contend, imo, and a team with a lot of young assets that we'd have going forward as well (which is a major plus).

Sun-Times Basketball ‏@suntimes_hoops 1m

Outside shot has been lethal, but explosiveness at the rim is way ahead of where he was in training camp last year. #DRoseReturns

Sun-Times Basketball ‏@suntimes_hoops 2m

This just in - extra body bags sent to the Berto because DRose is killing people. Sure, it's rooks and young guys, but no answer for Rose.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 10:08 AM)
SAS was on Mike and Mike and said that when the report came out from Isola, he got a call and was told to hold your horses, Bulls still in play...Carmelo still considering Bulls.

lol SAS is now on the Bulls' side.