2014-2015 NBA thread

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 12:29 PM)
We, at this point, traded Deng for no reason (I assumed it would be to allow us to go into luxury this offseason).

I don't particularly care about Jimmy anymore, I think his season last year was a major setback and would trade him for an asset like *snap*, but I'd gladly go into luxury tax if this team showed something next year.

That was done to gain some cap space/escape the repeater tax penalty I believe. We got Bynum's expiring deal in return.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 12:36 PM)
SAS on his NY station saying that sources tell him "Chicago is a monkey-wrench" in the equation right now. I wonder if we are getting more aggressive or if Melo continues to push a preference one way / trying to see if somehow S&T can happen. Problem is, if Melo feels this way, he'd have leaked strong leans to Chicago, LA, leaving Knicks to really put pressure. Fact that he hasn't done that, makes you wonder (if you wanted the pessimist view). Optimist view says that might be the case he's just being extremely tight lipped right now.

"Don't touch that dial folks, the story changes by the second!"

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 12:36 PM)
SAS on his NY station saying that sources tell him "Chicago is a monkey-wrench" in the equation right now. I wonder if we are getting more aggressive or if Melo continues to push a preference one way / trying to see if somehow S&T can happen. Problem is, if Melo feels this way, he'd have leaked strong leans to Chicago, LA, leaving Knicks to really put pressure. Fact that he hasn't done that, makes you wonder (if you wanted the pessimist view). Optimist view says that might be the case he's just being extremely tight lipped right now.

The only way Chicago can be a monkey-wrench is if Melo wants Chicago and the Bulls arent meeting the Knicks demands.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 12:01 PM)
Bron Bron is going back to Brazil Saturday so hopefully the rest of free agency can start tonight or tomorrow then. Saturday by the latest

He'll wait until the camera is on him and hold up a sign, "i choose team". The Decision 2.0

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 05:36 PM)
They told him he would be a starter.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa, so we decided to bring Taj in to sell Melo rather than trading him for max space, and then our response to Melo saying no is to sign a player to...push Taj to the bench?

Nobody can convince me this isn't exhibit A of terrible front office management.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 12:55 PM)
PHIL TREXLER-ABJ ‏@PhilTrexler 3m

Folks in Bath feel strongly that LBJ will sign w/ CLE. LBJ's camp contacted cops hour ago to alert them of tonight's annoucement. #kingjames

So sounds like we'll be hearing tonight at least.

I don't know if there is any validity to this guys tweet, but if LeBron was announcing he was staying in Miami, I would think hanging out not far from Cleveland would be about the last place he would want to be tonight.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 10:57 AM)
SAS: "Melo's family is talking to him and pushing towards Chicago."

Oh the Melodrama.

Seems interesting that this would be the case. Would bode well. Wonder if these leaks are targeted leaks from Melo's camp to try and further push a S&T and put more pressure on Phil.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 01:59 PM)
I don't know if there is any validity to this guys tweet, but if LeBron was announcing he was staying in Miami, I would think hanging out not far from Cleveland would be about the last place he would want to be tonight.

Or any night, really.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 12:58 PM)
Whoa whoa whoa whoa, so we decided to bring Taj in to sell Melo rather than trading him for max space, and then our response to Melo saying no is to sign a player to...push Taj to the bench?

Nobody can convince me this isn't exhibit A of terrible front office management.

I think Taj is 100% OK with being the 6th man. He dominates 2nd units and is almost always playing in the 4th anyway.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 06:03 PM)
I think Taj is 100% OK with being the 6th man. He dominates 2nd units and is almost always playing in the 4th anyway.

He was told he'd be a starter this year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 05:59 PM)

I'm going to guess this is a bit of "telephone".

My friend's dad works for Cleveland PD, said he heard from stadium police they were prepping for announcement of return.

But then also said "they prep for basically every scenario"

because it is summer and they have nothing else to do. They also have prepped for NBA finals victory.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 01:05 PM)
He was told he'd be a starter this year.

Gasol would have to be handled gently. Taj would still get starters minutes. I don't think he cares if he starts the game on the bench, as long as he doesn't have to sit on it a long time.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 01:57 PM)
Does being close to signing Mirotic signal Melo to the Bulls isn't happening, or can it still get done if Phil does the sign and trade?

Mirotic can be brought in in several ways. If Boozer is amnesthetized, the Bulls should have the cap space to sign him and probably 1 other player at a similar contract level while still under the cap. If the Bulls are able to pull off any sort of sign and trade involving Boozer, they would remain over the cap and have the full mid-level exemption to work with (what was it, up to 4/$23 or something like that?)