6/18 Games

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 10:00 PM)
Just for comparison sake, here are the top 3 pitchers taken the last few years, and where they ranked on the following year's preseason top 100 (BA)....

2013 - Mark Appel (college, 39), Jon Gray (college, 12), Kohl Stewart (HS, 52)

2012 - Kevin Gausman (college, 26), Kyle Zimmer (college, 24), Max Fried (HS, 46)

2011 - Gerrit Cole (college, 12), Danny Hultzen (college, 21), Trevor Bauer (college, 10)

2010 - Jameson Taillon (HS, 11), Drew Pomeranz (college, 61), Matt Harvey (college, unranked)

So I guess Rodon could rank anywhere from 10 to unranked..... ;)

But I think top 50 is a guarantee. Somewhere in the 20's is probably the best bet.

He's been the most hyped collegiate/MLB-ready pitcher now for 2 to 2 1/2 seasons...I wouldn't at all be surprised by #10-19.

Kolek and Aiken are much harder to place.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 11:31 PM)
Can't believe we traded Juan Silverio for organizational depth...look at him now, great move KW/Hahn, kid will make it to the show and be successful before we know, while our return is outta baseball

Good for him. He started to appear to be making progress when we finally let him go. The kid is still just 23 years old. I always felt like he was unjustly criticized for the signing bonus he got. It's not his fault Wilder was corrupt. Getting to AAA at 23 is still an accomplishment, even if it did take 6 years to get there

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 07:15 AM)
Good for him. He started to appear to be making progress when we finally let him go. The kid is still just 23 years old. I always felt like he was unjustly criticized for the signing bonus he got. It's not his fault Wilder was corrupt. Getting to AAA at 23 is still an accomplishment, even if it did take 6 years to get there

It was better for the Sox and Silverio to part ways, under the circumstances.

The last couple of utility infielders we let go, Andy Gonzalez and Eduardo Escobar...haven't become All-Stars, exactly. You could also add Chris Getz to that list if you want.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 10:31 PM)
Can't believe we traded Juan Silverio for organizational depth...look at him now, great move KW/Hahn, kid will make it to the show and be successful before we know, while our return is outta baseball

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 10:46 PM)
You are willing to bet he makes the show just because he had a .774 OPS in AA? Not saying that's bad or anything, but I'm not willing to bet he becomes a guy we really wished we had back just based on that either.

I think he has to be joking. I'm not sure he'd even register on the T25 with the Sox at this point if he was still here. He's suddenly developed power, but he was a couple years ago a below average defender at 3B, doesn't draw any walks and his K:BB numbers tell me he'll struggle in AAA and MLB. This is his 6th year in the minors, and I'd say his listed age of 23 is questionable at best.

Would it be nice to have him in B-Ham instead of Curley right now? Sure, he's younger and has more power, so maybe. Maybe his defense is better, I don't have any reports on that, though his FPct the last two seasons have been .917 and .939 which aren't good numbers.

But this idea this is some sort of face-slap thing is ridiculous. It made perfect sense to move him at the time they did.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 10:31 PM)

wat

I don't include DSL numbers in my recap, but worth noting Johan Cruz, who was signed for 450k on the July 2nd signing period in 2012, had a nice night. He's hitting .311/.382/.475 with three stolen bases. The Sox considered him the "best defensive SS in the Dominican" at the time of his signing, according to Baseball America.