Sox make roster moves

Mr. Showtime

Joe Cowley from the SouthTown is on the radio, and he said that he just got the call and Stewart has been called up and placed on the DL. Also, Jaime Burke has been called up as well.

Thats it? I would assume we arent making any other call ups?

Josh Stewart? ... Now, that's interesting. I wonder what the purpose was of calling him just to DL him.  Something to do with the playoff roster, I suppose.

My guess, adn this is only a guess, is Stewart will be a back up option, in case Koch doesnt work out? :huh:

DOnt we have to make them by midnight?  Im not very well versed in this topic. :huh:

As far as getting guys on the 25 man, and playoff roster yeah. I think guys like Borchard would get the call.

I'm not sure exactly what the deal is with Stewart, hopefully Rex will have some news.

I seem to recall JM saying something to the effect of,

"I'm having a hard enough time finding at-bats for my guys up here now, like Daubach and Rowand, so I don't think we'll call up too many new guys".

I would guess that they might bring up a couple arms for mop-ups or middle relief, though, to rest the playoff-eligible arms for any "potential" playoff appearances...

Josh Stewart? ... Now, that's interesting. I wonder what the purpose was of calling him just to DL him. Something to do with the playoff roster, I suppose.

Exactly, a player on the DL prior to the deadline can be playoff eligible if needed. Any player called up tomorrow would not be able to be placed on a team's postseason roster which much be turned in by midnight ET on August 31 (about five minutes). Players on the DL can also be put on this list as they technically are not part of the 25 man roster.

Thats it? I would assume we arent making any other call ups?

Any other minor league callups will be announced on Monday. But if I am correct Charlotte and Birmingham are in postseason contention so they would not be pulling players from those rosters until postseason play is complete.

Oh! I see.  If we can't use Koch's DL stint to screw with the playoff roster, we can always use Stewart's.  :lol:

That is my best guess.....

My understanding was that Stewart would not pitch again this season. They were hoping he would be able to pitch some in Instructional league. My guess is that they are doing just that, using his spot for flexibility in the playoffs.

Josh Stewart? ... Now, that's interesting. I wonder what the purpose was of calling him just to DL him.  Something to do with the playoff roster, I suppose.

Stewart was DL'd so he can be Playoff Eliligilble. Players on the 25 mna or DL are eligible for postseason play

Joe Cowley from the SouthTown is on the radio, and he said that he just got the call and Stewart has been called up and placed on the DL. Also, Jaime Burke has been called up as well.

I heard that..But isn't Paniagu(sp) gonna come up too? he signed, so i guess so

$