Yasmani Tomas defects from Cuba

royoung

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter Bjarkman, pretty much the authority on Cuban baseball had this to say about him a year ago:

My own assessment is that another young Cuban outfielder of the same age (22) named Yasmani Tomás is an even more promising five-tool player [than Puig] – more power, less free swinging, equal foot speed, and an identical arm.
Edited by Feeky Magee

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 09:16 AM)
We've gotten a few of the "Let's do it!" posts out of the way, so let's add the harder question.

You up for 6/$100?

Given the Sox record with Cubans, if they spend it, I will be OK with it. they have earned the benefit of the doubt from me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 09:16 AM)
We've gotten a few of the "Let's do it!" posts out of the way, so let's add the harder question.

You up for 6/$100?

If they agree with that Peter B guys assessment that he's better than Puig? Absolutely..... It is of course not my money to spend though =p

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 09:19 AM)
Given the Sox record with Cubans, if they spend it, I will be OK with it. they have earned the benefit of the doubt from me.

Exactly. Would rather risk money on younger talent than middle aged vets.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 09:24 AM)
Exactly. Would rather risk money on younger talent than middle aged vets.

The question is "can we get in enough due diligence to properly assess the risk and upside?"

It's much harder with younger guys than with vets, but like SS2k5 said, I'll give the Sox the benefit of the doubt here. The biggest bust so far is $10m or whatever to Viciedo, and while he's bad, he's at least a ML player.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 09:31 AM)
The question is "can we get in enough due diligence to properly assess the risk and upside?"

It's much harder with younger guys than with vets, but like SS2k5 said, I'll give the Sox the benefit of the doubt here. The biggest bust so far is $10m or whatever to Viciedo, and while he's bad, he's at least a ML player.

I would say we have gotten $10 million worth out of him for sure.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 09:31 AM)

If the scouts say the kid is worth the risk, that's cool with me. I have much more faith in the Sox scouting than in years past.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 09:32 AM)
I would say we have gotten $10 million worth out of him for sure.

Yeah, that's true.

Another thing to note regarding Tomas: look at those numbers and compare them to Abreu's. This kid is an advanced prospect, not someone who is likely to step in and be a star from day one.

Not saying we shouldn't want him, just saying that Puig set a dangerous precedent. What he has done should not be considered standard.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 10:40 AM)
Yeah, that's true.

Another thing to note regarding Tomas: look at those numbers and compare them to Abreu's. This kid is an advanced prospect, not someone who is likely to step in and be a star from day one.

Not saying we shouldn't want him, just saying that Puig set a dangerous precedent. What he has done should not be considered standard.

However, if this is the "guy who might be better than Puig" we've heard about the last few months, Puig will be the precedent for his salary whether we like it or not, and the successes of Puig and Abreu will almost certainly push his contract past that of Jose.

So would you rather spend $60-75 million on this guy or double that on Tanaka?

We definitely need help in the outfield, not only this but 2015 and beyond...but it also seems that it's about time that one of these guys flopped.

Soler hadn't really been that disappointing before the injuries hit this year, but 22 year olds aren't a sure thing. Then you look at the type of deal that Cespedes signed, where he can become a free agent after four years (2015 season), you don't want to give that type of deal to a 22 year old because you'll miss out on his prime of 27-30.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 09:43 AM)
However, if this is the "guy who might be better than Puig" we've heard about the last few months, Puig will be the precedent for his salary whether we like it or not, and the successes of Puig and Abreu will almost certainly push his contract past that of Jose.

There's a difference between the posturing of the media and the conclusions that are made by front offices. I would hope that GMs won't actually base their valuations solely on the fact that one pop scout said "might be better than Puig" two years ago -- but the bloggers and 670 Scores of the world very well might.

From the write-up, and questions about the injury he suffered in this last season (referenced to the fact that his playing time was cut and he struggled a bit for Industriales)...I'd guess he will be somewhere between Soler on the bottom end and Abreu on the top end...$45-60 million should be the range.

According to this report (BA), he has below average speed (which runs counter to Bjarkman), and he looks more like Viciedo in terms of frame than someone with the athleticism of a Puig or Cespedes in the OF.

Edited by caulfield12