6/20 Games

GGajewski18

The AZL team has a lot of interesting names on the roster that should be fun to follow this season, most notably for me Spencer Adams (duh!), Micker Adolfo (double duh!), Victor Done, Luis Martinez, Barraza, Jake Jarvis, Jeffry Santos & Antonio Rodriguez. Lots of raw talent down there, should be some really ugly games with some really great games to check on.

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Jun 21, 2014 -> 10:43 AM)
The AZL team has a lot of interesting names on the roster that should be fun to follow this season, most notably for me Spencer Adams (duh!), Micker Adolfo (double duh!), Victor Done, Luis Martinez, Barraza, Jake Jarvis, Jeffry Santos & Antonio Rodriguez. Lots of raw talent down there, should be some really ugly games with some really great games to check on.

I wonder where Luis Castillo is at. Didn't see him on the DSL roster and he obviously didn't play last night for the AZL team.

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Jun 21, 2014 -> 10:43 AM)

It's clear the shift the Sox took with the team being in the Arizona League now. It's all the younger draft picks and foreign players.

Jason Coats was sort of interesting last year, even more so now. He was drafted in the 29th, but remember, this is a guy who had much higher stock then that until he blew out a knee right at the end of his last college season. He's got a solid hit tool (hits in the .260-.270 range), and makes decent contact (14.4% K/PA). He's got some power - on a 20 HR pace now with a .199 Iso SLG. He's got some wheels (went 12 of 15 SB/CS last year, 5/5 this year so far). I've seen his defense in person and video, and he looks to me like he takes good routes, gloved everything cleanly, has some speed and can at least handle the corners as an above average defender (has played a little CF too). Arm looked strong in the couple looks I got.

The only pieces of bad news are, he doesn't walk a ton (5.5% BB/PA this year and last), and he turned 24 just before the season started and is in A+. So he's about a year behind "the curve", give or take. But that is in part because he missed 2012 due to that injury, and he did skip rookie ball.

He's a guy I think will fall into my T25 next month, probably, on the back end. Or at least be close.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 09:50 PM)
Blanke struck out 2 of the 3 hitters he faced. I'd love to know his velocity.

I've seen people over the years describe his arm from the catching position as a cannon. No idea what he's doing on the mound though, velocity-wise, or if he has any kind of offspeed stuff.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 21, 2014 -> 12:17 PM)
Good to see Jose Barraza back in action. IIRC, he was an over-slot signing we took in the 8th round the same year we drafted Ayala. He missed all of 2013 with an injury, but is still just 19 years old, so he's got plenty of opportunity to make up for lost time. He should be a fun prospect to follow.

Also, maybe I'm reading too much into it, but Barraza getting the opening day start over Ayala is pretty telling to me, given that Ayala is a repeater and should be considered the veteran. Purely speculation, but it seems like the organization may not be as high on Ayala as they previously were.

Barraza signed for slot in the 7th round. Losing a year of development was a blow for him as he was already thought to need a lot of time to develop defensively. Has some tools though, notably raw power and arm strength, and like you mention is still very young.