Orphans at our door

Texsox

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 06:15 PM)
And just like our debate here, the children are caught up in this problem. I don't think Alpha would turn away an 8 year old on his doorstep asking for help. But it is easy to say no to a faceless illegal out to screw America.

I would give the kid a meal, maybe find him some new clothes and shoes, maybe even pay for a bus ticket back home, but I will NOT take him in, feed him until he is 18 and pay for his college when I can barely do that for my own kids.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 06:21 PM)
I would give the kid a meal, maybe find him some new clothes and shoes, maybe even pay for a bus ticket back home, but I will NOT take him in, feed him until he is 18 and pay for his college when I can barely do that for my own kids.

And when the kid doesn't know where home is or if there is a parent there to meet him/her?

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 06:15 PM)
And just like our debate here, the children are caught up in this problem. I don't think Alpha would turn away an 8 year old on his doorstep asking for help. But it is easy to say no to a faceless illegal out to screw America.

This is a problem. However, when is enough enough. Is it a single 8 year old or a dozen of them. As alpha said, I wouldn't turn them away. I would help them until I had a chance to get them to the authorities. It's tough enough to raise the ones I brought into the world and for which I am responsible.

I've worked with a number of legal and illegal immigrants from factories and the labor force. Many of them work here earn money and go back home to live like kings for the winter. As long as people contribute there isn't a problem. It's the ones that live of any taxpayer money with which I have the problem.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 06:33 PM)
Then they get a bus ticket to Harry Reid's house in NV.

These are the real problems facing the people trying to solve the problem. These kids come from towns without a bus stop. Would you send the kid on a week long multiple bus trip, that will only get them possibly near the place they left from with no one waiting for him? Maybe you would. To me that sounds like not caring if the child lives or dies. The problem that we are facing are not easy ones. It will shape how America is known for possibly generations to come. Did we ignore tens of thousands of refugee children, or not? Are we really the country that our enemies claim we are?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 07:03 PM)
Abolish all national borders, artificial restrictions on the free movement of people.

Are there any laws in this country of Pangea to which you refer? If so, can I make them?

We would all love to help, not only them, but every last person on the planet. That said, we have to keep reality in mind, not this hypothetical world in which we have unlimited resources, unlimited time, unlimited money, etc.

If you look at this in the realm of reality, a line must be drawn, or it won't be long until millions of others catch on to this and follow suit, from other counties coming through Canada, Mexico or otherwise...we only have so much of everything to go around, and as it stands now we have homeless, starving children, Detroit, and countless other problems we don't have the money and resources to fix right here, right now...how any of you expect us to fix everyone else's problems when we can't even fix our own is beyond me.

If you truly feel this way, get off the message board and donate every ounce of your time and money to doing something about it, but don't spend everyone else's money instead, which is exactly the suggestions here.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 07:31 PM)
Ilya Somin makes the libertarian case for open borders

http://openborders.info/blog/immigration-a...itical-freedom/

I don't necessarily disagree with it. Although I would have a couple of conditions.

1. Like Australia, you must prove you have enough money to get home before I allow you in.

2. Like most of the EU and Canada, you must show either that you have employment or have skills that are needed.

3. Be tracked to show you have employment at a reasonable time.

I'm all for more people if they are a productive part of the society, as I think it was Soxbadger stated.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 06:12 PM)
This would be true if the people were coming here to work. In the example here, I believe al lor most of them are children under the working age. These are not workers thus will not add much to the economy but will take from it.

Children wouldnt be coming here alone if we allowed their parents to legally immigrate with them. Most parents dont send their children away to foreign countries unless the situation is extremely dire.

1. Like Australia, you must prove you have enough money to get home before I allow you in.

2. Like most of the EU and Canada, you must show either that you have employment or have skills that are needed.

3. Be tracked to show you have employment at a reasonable time.

I disagree. If you want to come to America, follow the laws, you should have a chance. Just like the rest of us. The country isnt full, we have plenty of space. The arguments against are based on the idea that an American is deserving of more, just because they were born in America. It completely turns a blind eye to our history, to the very essence of what it means to be an American.

America is nothing more than a hollow shell if we prevent others from having the same freedom and opportunity that we claim to espouse to the world.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 07:29 PM)
We would all love to help, not only them, but every last person on the planet. That said, we have to keep reality in mind, not this hypothetical world in which we have unlimited resources, unlimited time, unlimited money, etc.

If you look at this in the realm of reality, a line must be drawn, or it won't be long until millions of others catch on to this and follow suit, from other counties coming through Canada, Mexico or otherwise...we only have so much of everything to go around, and as it stands now we have homeless, starving children, Detroit, and countless other problems we don't have the money and resources to fix right here, right now...how any of you expect us to fix everyone else's problems when we can't even fix our own is beyond me.

If you truly feel this way, get off the message board and donate every ounce of your time and money to doing something about it, but don't spend everyone else's money instead, which is exactly the suggestions here.

This should be the last post in this thread.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 08:14 PM)
Children wouldnt be coming here alone if we allowed their parents to legally immigrate with them. Most parents dont send their children away to foreign countries unless the situation is extremely dire.

I disagree. If you want to come to America, follow the laws, you should have a chance. Just like the rest of us. The country isnt full, we have plenty of space. The arguments against are based on the idea that an American is deserving of more, just because they were born in America. It completely turns a blind eye to our history, to the very essence of what it means to be an American.

America is nothing more than a hollow shell if we prevent others from having the same freedom and opportunity that we claim to espouse to the world.

I agree. There is plenty of room. More people should come, live and contribute to this great country. The key being contribute. The price of living here to pursue the dream of a better life, is to pursue a better life not to sponge of the country and contribute nothing. There should be ways to monitor this.

The parents should be allowed to immigrate if they prove they will contribute. I don't know about you but I would never send my under aged child away. Not until I was sure they were old enough to reasonably take care of themselves.

I have a friend who at the age of 12, jumped the Berlin Wall with two friends. One of them was gunned down the other two made it. If you have the guts to do that you are old enough to take care of yourself.

lol

Right, instead of arguing legitimately, lets just say "if you wont donate every ounce of your time to a cause" its not worth it.

Its sad that this type of inane comment is applauded. Your money? Its OUR money. Never forget that. The US govt spends money on stupid s*** I dont agree with every day, I dont say "if you believe that we should stop immigration you only get a say if you are in border patrol" or if you want to invade iraq I dont say "you cant say anything unless you join the army."

But thanks for that insight, really ground breaking.

Look I get it. It seems better if we put up a fence and keep the undesirables out. But giving your position all of the benefits, it is at best a push economically. And im not denying people the opportunity to have freedom and everything I believe in over a push.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 09:15 PM)
lol

Right, instead of arguing legitimately, lets just say "if you wont donate every ounce of your time to a cause" its not worth it.

Its sad that this type of inane comment is applauded. Your money? Its OUR money. Never forget that. The US govt spends money on stupid s*** I dont agree with every day, I dont say "if you believe that we should stop immigration you only get a say if you are in border patrol" or if you want to invade iraq I dont say "you cant say anything unless you join the army."

But thanks for that insight, really ground breaking.

Look I get it. It seems better if we put up a fence and keep the undesirables out. But giving your position all of the benefits, it is at best a push economically. And im not denying people the opportunity to have freedom and everything I believe in over a push.

It's only a push if they truly come here and work. This is what needs to be basis of any immigration.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 07:03 PM)
These are the real problems facing the people trying to solve the problem. These kids come from towns without a bus stop. Would you send the kid on a week long multiple bus trip, that will only get them possibly near the place they left from with no one waiting for him? Maybe you would. To me that sounds like not caring if the child lives or dies. The problem that we are facing are not easy ones. It will shape how America is known for possibly generations to come. Did we ignore tens of thousands of refugee children, or not? Are we really the country that our enemies claim we are?

First, you assume that I gove a s*** what other countries think of us in that regards. Mexico in particular can b**** and moan all they want, but with the way they treat immigrants, they have zero room to talk. As for the kids, they took worse trips getting here, courtesy of their parents and/or unscrupulous mules bringing them here. I am sure a bus ride wouldn't be anywhere near as traumatic. I agree it isn't an easy problem. So stop them from even getting here. Stop them from having a reason to think they can come here and skirt the rules, get free stuff and so on. Just control the goddamn border already. There isn't a nation on this earth that doesn't have the right to control its own borders. Why is America the only country that gets s*** for doing so? The buffet is not endless, no matter how much your heart bleeds.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 05:51 PM)
You do realize we're talking about young children.

Jenks, you decide what happens to that 8 year old that shows up without anyone, what do you do? Send them where exactly? How do they get there?

I read a headline somewhere that over 80% of the recent influx are males over 14.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 08:14 PM)

Ironic.

Also funny when we have the most people on welfare in the history of the country right now. You're going to bleed this country to death with an open border policy.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

Btw if Obama and the left actually cared about these people and their parents, they would have tried to implement some kind of compromise on immigration. Fix the time it takes to get a work visa or even citizenship. But we all know the end game is complete amnesty because then dems get another X million votes. So Obama does the next best thing - pretend illegals aren't streaming across the border and a new generation of dems are born.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 11:38 PM)
Btw if Obama and the left actually cared about these people and their parents, they would have tried to implement some kind of compromise on immigration. Fix the time it takes to get a work visa or even citizenship. But we all know the end game is complete amnesty because then dems get another X million votes. So Obama does the next best thing - pretend illegals aren't streaming across the border and a new generation of dems are born.

:lolhitting

Yuck it up all you want, it's the truth.

http://news.yahoo.com/us-releases-immigran...--politics.html

They're allowing entire families in, "processing" them, and then setting them free with the instruction to show up at an immigration court later on. As if they'll follow the rules.

This is a joke of a "policy." I'm not opposed to some compromise on a lot of illegals, but simply ignoring the problem is not a solution.