Jose Tabata

BigHurt3515

Was just outrighted by the Pirates. He can decide to take the assignment or reject and become a free agent.. I think this would be an interesting player we could hopefully get. He is still young (25) and showed a lot of promise to begin his career but couldn't get over the hump.. Not sure if he will reject the assignment because he would lose his guaranteed money but there is no room for him on the Pirates with the stacked OF they have now so I wonder what it would take to just take him off their hands.

Thoughts?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 02:12 PM)
Looking at his numbers...why'd they outright him?

I'd definitely give him a shot over Sierra.

Performance and the fact they have the 3 OF's set.. Not sure why they weren't ok with him being the 4th OF but I am not sure if he can play CF

Where would he play? The future outfield for the Sox is already pretty crowded. Even after moving de Aza, they will have Eaton and Garcia occupying two positions.

There are several candidates for the third spot, including Micah Johnson, who is likely not going to be good enough defensively to play 2ND. Davidson will probably have to be

considered for LF, as third base should belong to Gillaspie. He is much too important to the offense to think of not keeping him at third. Then they still need to find a left handed, middle of the order bat to replace Dunn. Viciedo could be traded, or moved to DH, but that would mean that whomever they find to fill Dunn's spot, will likely have to be in the outfield.

It seems to me like they need to keep a corner outfield spot, or DH for whomever the eventually find to bat behind Abreu. It certainly is not Jose Tabata.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 05:36 AM)
Where would he play? The future outfield for the Sox is already pretty crowded. Even after moving de Aza, they will have Eaton and Garcia occupying two positions.

There are several candidates for the third spot, including Micah Johnson, who is likely not going to be good enough defensively to play 2ND. Davidson will probably have to be

considered for LF, as third base should belong to Gillaspie. He is much too important to the offense to think of not keeping him at third. Then they still need to find a left handed, middle of the order bat to replace Dunn. Viciedo could be traded, or moved to DH, but that would mean that whomever they find to fill Dunn's spot, will likely have to be in the outfield.

It seems to me like they need to keep a corner outfield spot, or DH for whomever the eventually find to bat behind Abreu. It certainly is not Jose Tabata.

I'm going to go on the record saying I don't want to see Johnson and Eaton in the same outfield. I feel like it would be too weak and that there should be a power guy in left. If Johnson is going to be in the outfield, then trade Eaton.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 09:49 AM)
Didn't I get railed for suggesting we get this guy when the Pirates put him on the block near the beginning of the season? I think even wite hated that idea.

If Garcia were healthy he'd be in the same boat with us that he was in Pittsburgh, a 4th OF who needs playing time and won't get it. Instead, now we're down an OF and it seems like Viciedo is showing he will not cut it with us on what should be his last chance. That gives us at least 1 OF slot definitely available the rest of this year and a good chance at an opening long term as well.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 09:16 AM)
Why would we have traded for him then when we already had four outfielders, and DeAza seemed superfluous at the time?

I think my theory at the time was something like "Viciedo sucks you guys," which has turned out to be accurate, more or less. I really thought a De Aza/Tabata platoon would combine for an awesome #2 or #5 hitter.