6/25 Games

royoung

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 02:26 PM)
Michalczewski stays in Kanny all year despite production right?

He won't even be 20 until next February, I would say he should stay in Kannapolis all year. However, the White Sox are very aggressive with their assignments and it wouldn't surprise me if they promoted him.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 08:26 PM)

I think it would probably be best. He's young and this is his first full season blah blah but still the strikeouts are far too high. 27.8 K% coming into today and it's been getting worse:

April- 25.5 K%

May- 26.6 K%

June- 31.0 K%

Walks trending in the wrong direction also:

April- 14.2 BB%

May- 9.2 BB%

June- 8.3 BB%

Overall walks are very nice though and power at least solid. He's been better than expected for me this year but no reason to rush him.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 02:26 PM)

Depends what they want to do with Basto. He is currently on the DL but has handled WS pretty well and there is no one in BHam that is blocking him. Knowing the Sox, they will both move up a level at some point this season.

Speaking of promotions, I imagine Peter will be headed to Kanny pretty soon the way he has torn through the Pioneer league this far.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 04:25 PM)
Phegley replaced 2 days ago and benched yesterday, Kevan Smith sitting out today... might be nothing (particularly since Birmingham had a day game after a night game) but would like to see Smith in Charlotte.

I think Smith needs to have time taken with him to work on defense.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 02:54 PM)
Depends what they want to do with Basto. He is currently on the DL but has handled WS pretty well and there is no one in BHam that is blocking him. Knowing the Sox, they will both move up a level at some point this season.

Speaking of promotions, I imagine Peter will be headed to Kanny pretty soon the way he has torn through the Pioneer league this far.

Speaking of Jake Peter, I was listening to a post-Draft Day 1 podcast from Baseball America, and I was surprised to hear how good of a pick they thought Jake Peter was. I must be mixing up my prospects, because I thought he was supposed be a "save money" type pick, not anyone to be excited about. But they said they really liked pick.... And to be exact, John Manuel said this about Peter....

"Jacob Peter is the perfect second basemen with big time arm strength to turn the DP. Oh by the way, he's 92-94 off the mound."

And now, of course, he is dominating.

Also in that podcast, they spoke for a few minutes about Brett Austin and how they loved his make-up and his personality. I guess he caught MULTIPLE double-headers and they said the is just a very tough catcher who loves to catch and they think he's got a good chance to stick at C for that reason.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 02:54 PM)

Basto is in AZL right now, last I checked anyway.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 03:25 PM)
Phegley replaced 2 days ago and benched yesterday, Kevan Smith sitting out today... might be nothing (particularly since Birmingham had a day game after a night game) but would like to see Smith in Charlotte.

Saw a photo of Smith in full Birmingham Rickwood Classic uniform before today's game, so I don't think he's headed anywhere just yet.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 03:27 PM)
I think Smith needs to have time taken with him to work on defense.

On the bright side, it's literally impossible for him to be a worse defender than Phegley

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 07:27 PM)
Anyone else think that Heath might be next in line to be called up for a spot start? His last 5 games as a starter have been pretty impressive.

Surkamp will before him. Surkamp has a 40 man spot. Heath does not.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 08:53 PM)
it is indeed 13 -- fourth highest total in the International League.

The only guys he trails are career minor leaguers -- Dan Johnson (16), Ruben Gotay (14) and Mike Hessman (14).

So maybe there is hope.

A little.

Ruben Gotay, really? Former Royals' journeyman infielder. That's crazier than Wilson Betemit's 8 homers in spring training.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 08:53 PM)
it is indeed 13 -- fourth highest total in the International League.

The only guys he trails are career minor leaguers -- Dan Johnson (16), Ruben Gotay (14) and Mike Hessman (14).

So maybe there is hope.

A little.

Wilkins has same HR total as Davidson.