Surkamp called up, Scott Downs DFA'd

Jose Abreu

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm. His peripherals weren't awful, his sky-high ERA was due to a ton of his baserunners allowed ending up scoring, but yeah, hard to shed too many tears with that walk rate.

Strange though because all the lefty relievers in Charlotte have control problems too, unless they bring up Surkamp, which is my tentative guess right now.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 12:01 AM)
Hmm. His peripherals weren't awful, his sky-high ERA was due to a ton of his baserunners allowed ending up scoring, but yeah, hard to shed too many tears with that walk rate.

Strange though because all the lefty relievers in Charlotte have control problems too, unless they bring up Surkamp, which is my tentative guess right now.

Loving the new avatar, Feeky

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 12:10 AM)
I agree on counts but towards Surkamp as the replacement - there really aren't any other in-house options. Veal has been terrible, Leesman is hurt, Purcey sucked and got cut, Funtes isn't a real option, there is nothing down there.

Yeah it's got to be Surkamp really, I think he'd be a bit of a waste as a LOOGY but oh well, maybe he can work his way up.

I'm not gonna miss him...and yes by all accounts he seems like a good guy...but goddamn...every single time Robin goes the bullpen it simply goes to s***. Too early....too late...whatever. I'm still scratching my head why Putnam was taken out...but honestly...it really makes no difference anymore.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 11:11 PM)
I recall a lot of people liked the signing. He sucked. Oh well. Enjoy retirement.

He had an ERA barely over 2 for the last eight years combined.

One thing Hahn has figured out now are the dangers of a veteran one year too late instead of one year too early...Keppinger, Downs, DeAza, etc.

Konerko, well that's a whole different situation because of JR. They better do a bobblehead/White Sox Hall of Fame thing for him and make absolutely sure it's well-attended like the one for Omar Vizquel in Cleveland last weekend.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 12:01 AM)

I feel like you've never played or watched baseball before. Nothing personal, but I just get general disconnect. You excuse total awfulness with bizarre stats. Downs peripherals might have been decent, but the dude was awful. He was getting rocked. When you're a vet, there's no excuse; produce or gtfo.

I'm unmoved by Downs's peripherals because his walk rate was too high. I take the low HR rate less seriously than the high BB rate, especially given how much the BB rate is a departure from career norms. Makes it seem like he's actually, legitimately playing worse and not suffering from poor luck

He may have been a good guy, and I personally liked the signing, but he's been pretty brutal. His last two appearances were to face one batter, and he failed both times. Last night's failure was very costly. Now the question is, who's coming up?

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 12:05 AM)
I can't stop laughing at it. The De Aziest face that De Aza has ever produced.

I wish I was technologically savvy enough to mix that up with the gif of him sliding into second on his face