Surkamp called up, Scott Downs DFA'd

Jose Abreu

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 07:09 AM)
All this speculation on Surkamp?

Need I spell it out for you?

R

O

D

O

N

....okay so it's probably Surkamp for now but Rodon is coming soon!!! Believe!

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 07:21 AM)
No need to call up Rodon and start his arb clock unless the Sox are actually in it in September, which doesn't seem at all likely at this point.

And there's that thing about having to sign him first.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 01:04 PM)
Would be shocked if it's not Surkamp, especially since Heath isn't on the 40 man, and since Surkamp throws with the hand that makes an L when you look at it.

Hey Heads22 how is it going????

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 08:04 AM)
Would be shocked if it's not Surkamp, especially since Heath isn't on the 40 man, and since Surkamp throws with the hand that makes an L when you look at it.

Surkamp does make the most sense. At least he throws strikes. He may get hit around here and there but he will put the ball over the plate.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 09:19 AM)
Yes.

It was a worthwhile signing, but sometimes these things happen.

I was only asking because IIRC Heath is on the 40 man but Surkamp is not, so the Sox would need an open spot to call up the lefty. If it took until Downs was released to clear the spot that could have been a problem.

Loved Ventura's interview..."It's not as sloppy as last year (defense and baserunning)."

The bar has fallen pretty low. I get it, keep Sale and Abreu healthy, Eaton progresses, Quintana continues to battle, Conor continues to play well or Davidson pulls out of his tailspin...maybe Semien, Erik Johnson and Webb look better in the 2nd half, etc.

At least Hahn's not going to play around and hold our roster spots hostage for the Keppingers and Downses forever. That's a good thing for the club to keep them on their toes and not becoming complacent.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 08:20 AM)
I was only asking because IIRC Heath is on the 40 man but Surkamp is not, so the Sox would need an open spot to call up the lefty. If it took until Downs was released to clear the spot that could have been a problem.

Other way around. It'll be Surkamp.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 08:37 AM)
Wouldn't be surprised if he was traded to the Angels. They are desperate for a bullpen lefty and he was pretty successful there the last three seasons. Maybe for an A baller or cash.

Why settle for an A baller when Hank Conger will simply do? :D

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 07:21 AM)
No need to call up Rodon and start his arb clock unless the Sox are actually in it in September, which doesn't seem at all likely at this point.

If they bring him up this year at all, it means they are going to have him on the opening day roster next year. In that case it won't have any bearing on his arbitration clock provided they wait until after the Super 2 cutoff date.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 12:56 AM)
I'm not gonna miss him...and yes by all accounts he seems like a good guy...but goddamn...every single time Robin goes the bullpen it simply goes to s***. Too early....too late...whatever. I'm still scratching my head why Putnam was taken out...but honestly...it really makes no difference anymore.

No such thing as bad timing when you have nothing to pull from.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 08:23 AM)
Loved Ventura's interview..."It's not as sloppy as last year (defense and baserunning)."

The bar has fallen pretty low. I get it, keep Sale and Abreu healthy, Eaton progresses, Quintana continues to battle, Conor continues to play well or Davidson pulls out of his tailspin...maybe Semien, Erik Johnson and Webb look better in the 2nd half, etc.

At least Hahn's not going to play around and hold our roster spots hostage for the Keppingers and Downses forever. That's a good thing for the club to keep them on their toes and not becoming complacent.

What bar? It's a rebuild.