6/27 Games

GGajewski18

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 27, 2014 -> 11:27 PM)
We've already seen this with Micah Johnson in A ball.

When he replicates those numbers at BIRM and Charlotte, then you can be legitimate excited.

Are you saying Micah didn't replicate those numbers at higher levels?

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 28, 2014 -> 12:37 PM)
I'm more interested in Micah replicating his good plate discipline at higher levels than steals.

Baserunning >steals anyway.

Normally as players advance in minors, organizations have them run less (once they have proven themselves) as there are more risks to nagging injuries, etc, and they want to make sure those players (who have legit other tools) are advancing those tools and healthy and able to work on that stuff. Was told that from multiple people back when I spent a few different summers at the various minor league facilities. This included conversations with the Sox minor league coordinator at the time.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 28, 2014 -> 03:58 PM)
Normally as players advance in minors, organizations have them run less (once they have proven themselves) as there are more risks to nagging injuries, etc, and they want to make sure those players (who have legit other tools) are advancing those tools and healthy and able to work on that stuff. Was told that from multiple people back when I spent a few different summers at the various minor league facilities. This included conversations with the Sox minor league coordinator at the time.

That's all fine and good, but then Micah Johnson has to be more of a Ray Durham clone (who later starts hitting 12-18 homers per year in the second half of his career) at the next level...if he's not going to be like a Pods or Hamilton that will give you 50-75 steals. If your number 1 asset's speed, then you have to use it to affect the outcome of games or your lack of other tools (defense, power, arm, etc.) will always hold you back.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 28, 2014 -> 10:23 PM)
That's all fine and good, but then Micah Johnson has to be more of a Ray Durham clone (who later starts hitting 12-18 homers per year in the second half of his career) at the next level...if he's not going to be like a Pods or Hamilton that will give you 50-75 steals. If your number 1 asset's speed, then you have to use it to affect the outcome of games or your lack of other tools (defense, power, arm, etc.) will always hold you back.

If he can be a league average 2B, I'd be perfectly content. He doesn't "have" to be Ray Durham, who was really good overall player for a very long time, nor does he have to be Billy Hamilton (who is seemingly a generational talent) nor Scott Podsednik (who was an incredible base stealer when he was healthy). If he put up Mark Ellis's numbers - absolutely nothing extraordinary but perfectly solid all the way around - I'd be just fine with it.

Frankly, I think this level of hyperbole is silly. Guys are going to be who they are, and if it's eventually meaningful for the big league club, then that's all that matters.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 28, 2014 -> 08:23 PM)

I'm talking about minor league steal stats being relatively irrelevant. He could be told not to run very much and then turn it completely back on at the major league level.