6/29 Games

flavum

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jun 29, 2014 -> 06:30 PM)
And a stolen base -- 28th -- from May.

In May and June, he's hitting .317 with 38 runs scored, 15 doubles, 7 triples and 26 steals in 29 attempts.

With an OPS of close to 1.000 for the month and 20/20 in SB attempts, keep it rolling Jacob!

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 29, 2014 -> 05:03 PM)
Just 1 XBH though (a 2B) from 14 hits.

What a gentleman this Peter is holding back his emotions to take second 13 of 14 times. Now it would be easy to think he's just being a tease, but I think Peter has a plan here. Right now we can call his SLG% softcore but just watch, pretty soon he'll be diving headfirst into 3rd and plowing his way home.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 29, 2014 -> 08:23 PM)
What a gentleman this Peter is holding back his emotions to take second 13 of 14 times. Now it would be easy to think he's just being a tease, but I think Peter has a plan here. Right now we can call his SLG% softcore but just watch, pretty soon he'll be diving headfirst into 3rd and plowing his way home.

cringe.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 29, 2014 -> 11:43 PM)
I would be more excited about Jacob May if he didn't have 0 HR this season in a hitter-friendly ballpark.

It is kind of bizarre, considering he hit 8 in 54 games with Kannapolis. However, he is slugging .551 in the month of June and has a 37.3 XBH% for the season, so I am not that concerned.

So at midway point, how are people feeling about Hawkins? His K rate staying at 25%, but his BBs are at 11%. Is this year better or worse than expected? Is it good enough to promote or should he stay there?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 03:13 PM)
So at midway point, how are people feeling about Hawkins? His K rate staying at 25%, but his BBs are at 11%. Is this year better or worse than expected? Is it good enough to promote or should he stay there?

Better than expected, still need more consistency. Stay where he is, if a promotion occurs Coats and May deserve it sooner.

QUOTE (MnSoxFan @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 09:15 AM)
Better than expected, still need more consistency. Stay where he is, if a promotion occurs Coats and May deserve it sooner.

I have a feeling they're going to keep Hawkins and Anderson together, more or less.

It's way too early to talk about May going to Birmingham unless he can sustain this success for another month.

As far as Coats goes, it's not close to decided that he's the type of prospect that is going to push someone out of the Birmingham outfield yet...not because the organization is high on Thompson or Mitchell, but because they have to be 100% convinced Coats is ready.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 10:13 AM)

I would describe my feeling as cautiously optimistic. The reports on his hit tool are still ugly, but he's shown marked improvement and he's still very young for that league. I think it would be a huge mistake to promote him until at least the beginning of next year.

I'm happy with how this season has played out so far, but I would keep him at A+ with Anderson for the remainder of this season and possibly the start of next season before bumping them both up to AA.

I wouldn't rush him - it didn't work out well last time they rushed him. Take your time and develop him into an above average major leaguer.

If he can keep that walk rate >10% at all levels, the K rate is tolerable. George Springer, for example, Ks a ton. But a low walk rate and a high K rate portends serious issues eventually hitting ML pitching.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (beautox @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 02:11 PM)
I'm happy with how this season has played out so far, but I would keep him at A+ with Anderson for the remainder of this season and possibly the start of next season before bumping them both up to AA.

Hawkins should be in AA to start next year. He's taken some major steps forward in terms of plate discipline this season and should be rewarded for that. More importantly, he needs to face the next challenge (and true test) which is AA pitching. One more month in A+ isn't going to due much for his development IMO.