6/30 Games

flavum

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hill got ripped for 8 runs. Boggs continues to be employed in professional baseball, mysteriously.

Charlotte attendance already over 400K.

Semien under .200 on the season. Sanchez close to .300, Micah hitting a soft .281 (687 OPS), Phegley with a homer. No Davidson in the first game of DH.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 12:22 PM)
Hill got ripped for 8 runs. Boggs continues to be employed in professional baseball, mysteriously.

Charlotte attendance already over 400K.

Semien under .200 on the season. Sanchez close to .300, Micah hitting a soft .281 (687 OPS), Phegley with a homer. No Davidson in the first game of DH.

Not worried about Micah - his AAA numbers have likely been affected by playing hurt/returning from injury, and he's required a bit of an adjustment period at each level. I also think they favor him developing his SB technique at the MLB level, and his lower #'s there may also have something to do with the injuries.

I think it's telling that Semien is getting a look in the OF and not Micah. Rightly or wrongly, I believe the org see's MJ as the 2B of the very near future - maybe 1 month from now if a Beckham deal happens. Semien is their ideal super-utility. Things could change.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 01:54 PM)
Not worried about Micah - his AAA numbers have likely been affected by playing hurt/returning from injury, and he's required a bit of an adjustment period at each level. I also think they favor him developing his SB technique at the MLB level, and his lower #'s there may also have something to do with the injuries.

I think it's telling that Semien is getting a look in the OF and not Micah. Rightly or wrongly, I believe the org see's MJ as the 2B of the very near future - maybe 1 month from now if a Beckham deal happens. Semien is their ideal super-utility. Things could change.

Also could be because Semien profiles better as an outfielder (than Micah would) in some ways. Yes, Micah has speed. But he's got rocky hands, and his arm is a potential issue. Semien has a decent arm and soft hands, and he already had played all three skill IF positions and showed good adjustments to them.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 01:15 PM)
Also could be because Semien profiles better as an outfielder (than Micah would) in some ways. Yes, Micah has speed. But he's got rocky hands, and his arm is a potential issue. Semien has a decent arm and soft hands, and he already had played all three skill IF positions and showed good adjustments to them.

We'll see. Hopefully, a Beckham trade happens and the guys in Charlotte make a compelling case for getting called up. I think Gordo needs to go regardless, though. Starting next season, his incremental value (if any) over whoever they like best at 2B - be it Micah, Marcus or Carlos - likely won't justify his 2nd year arb figure. I think we hang on to Lexi unless blown away. Competent defensive SS's that hit better than a Leury Garcia are no easy trick, and no one is saying with overwhelming confidence that Carlos, Marcus or eventually Anderson will fit that bill.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 02:59 PM)
I think we hang on to Lexi unless blown away. Competent defensive SS's that hit better than a Leury Garcia are no easy trick, and no one is saying with overwhelming confidence that Carlos, Marcus or eventually Anderson will fit that bill.

True, but that's why Alexei should bring a much higher return than Beckham. And if none is offered, keep him.

Could be some bidding for Beckham, though - a lot of teams need 2B. And he's not so easily replaceable. Plays pretty good D.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 03:28 PM)
True, but that's why Alexei should bring a much higher return than Beckham. And if none is offered, keep him.

Could be some bidding for Beckham, though - a lot of teams need 2B. And he's not so easily replaceable. Plays pretty good D.

Beckham's level of production is plenty replaceable and we've never had more potential depth at the position. They could all bust, sure, but the odds may actually be in our favor for once that at least 1 will be a MLB average player.

Regardless, the tea leaves tell me the org favors Micah - if he has a good July, his era may begin soon.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 01:54 PM)

I think the reason Micah is playing 2B is because he's an iffy defender there and it's unlikely to increase his value to move him off the one position where he is becoming serviceable. They know that Semien is competent around the IF and are less concerned with his getting reps at IF positions because they are less critical for his development

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 04:15 PM)
I think the reason Micah is playing 2B is because he's an iffy defender there and it's unlikely to increase his value to move him off the one position where he is becoming serviceable. They know that Semien is competent around the IF and are less concerned with his getting reps at IF positions because they are less critical for his development

Still, you traditionally leave the best player who you feel has the ability to stick at that position at SS.

One could just as easily argue they know Semien can't play shortstop (everyday) at the next level...that Sanchez has the best shot at remaining there, so they need to find out how versatile Marcus is to possibly platoon with Gillaspie, PR, and play all over the field like a Zobrist-Lite.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 04:15 PM)

Could be. No plan, if there is one, will be revealed until Beckham is traded. They may start with Carlos, since he's had the most AAA AB's and is performing the best there. Micah hasn't exactly been an error machine this year, despite the non-glowing defensive reviews. I think it's obvious they want him at 2B in Chicago sooner or later, if the hitting is sufficient.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 07:25 PM)
Seth Lakso ‏@SethLakso 1m

#WhiteSox prospect Matt Davidson just hit his 8th HR in the month and 14th overall. He’s hitting .294 over his last 10.

Power has been consistent, I remember seeing his BABIP was crazy unlucky at the height on his slump.