Teams Interested in Viciedo

Y2Jimmy0

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other teams have already approached the White Sox about him, including the contending Mariners and Giants, according to one major league source. The Mariners, the source said, would consider trading 23-year-old right-hander Brandon Maurer as part of a two-player package for him, so it's reasonable to expect that the Red Sox would have to be willing to part with one of their young arms (Brandon Workman, Rubby De La Rosa, Allen Webster) to acquire him.

I don't know what kind of stuff Maurer has, but he's clearly been pushed hard upwards by the Ms as he made the big leagues by 22. If they think there's anything there and that guy is on the table then Viciedo should already be in the other dugout.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 10:30 AM)
I don't know what kind of stuff Maurer has, but he's clearly been pushed hard upwards by the Ms as he made the big leagues by 22. If they think there's anything there and that guy is on the table then Viciedo should already be in the other dugout.

Agreed. I'm shocked teams are actually still interested in Dayan. It's like they haven't watched him the last few months.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 10:41 AM)
Agreed. I'm shocked teams are actually still interested in Dayan. It's like they haven't watched him the last few months.

Because teams still see potential in him. He's only 25. Just a matter of figuring it out like some of us have said the whole time.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 11:50 AM)
Because teams still see potential in him. He's only 25. Just a matter of figuring it out like some of us have said the whole time.

I get that too, but I'm looking at his 2nd year arbitration status next year and realizing that the time it might take for him to figure it out will start getting a lot more expensive soon.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 10:53 AM)
I get that too, but I'm looking at his 2nd year arbitration status next year and realizing that the time it might take for him to figure it out will start getting a lot more expensive soon.

Say Viciedo hits 265 with 20 HRs and 65 RBIs this season, do you keep him next year and part of your young core?

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 10:58 AM)
Maurer seems reasonable. Any of those Red Sox names and we'd be absolutely laughing, enormously doubt the Sox would do that though.

This. Those Red Sox prospects that were named are a pipe dream. I'd be okay with Maurer. His minor league track record is legit. Obviously needs to figure it out at the next level still, but that's what one should expect in a return for DV.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 11:00 AM)
Say Viciedo hits 265 with 20 HRs and 65 RBIs this season, do you keep him next year and part of your young core?

No because with a slash line of 260 300 430 and awful base running and putrid defense that is a .5 WAR player. Most here, despite the constant refrain about the importance of base running and defense, ignore it with Tank, as if he hits enough to offset it, uh no.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 12:00 PM)

As opposed to nontendering him? Yes. As opposed to trading him? What's the return?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 11:10 AM)
As opposed to nontendering him? Yes. As opposed to trading him? What's the return?

If he put up those numbers, of course I would love to still have him, but if the right offer was there then I think I would deal him.

If the Mariners offered Brandon Maurer and Austin Wilson then yes I would say yes.

If the Red Sox offered Allen Webster and Anthony Raunado/Brian Johnson I would say yes to that too.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 10:41 AM)

Maybe they know a little bit more about scouting and talent evaluation than the average internet website poster, myself included.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

Viciedo is only 25 years old. He still has quite an upside. Trading him for a genuine pitching prospect or two is the only way we win by trading him. We haven't seen too many prospects we trade for come through. It is a big risk and made worse if we undervalue Viciedo and his potential. But, I am not dismissing the possibility of a trade. De Aza is coming around with the bat and he may be a stop gap measure for a team. I like De Aza but. Jordan Danks back up at least improves the defense