Teams Interested in Viciedo

Y2Jimmy0

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 10:49 PM)
We are not getting anything for Dunn. The best case scenario is that he will be placed on waivers right before the August 31st deadline and a competitive team claims him.

This is ridiculous. Just because you don't like Dunn doesn't mean teams don't value him properly.

Honestly, I bet some team gives up an arm for him. Nothing more than a C prospect, but they'll get someone out of him, assuming they trade him and don't keep him because they feel they're competitive.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 09:11 AM)
It'll be just Erasmo.

Viciedo for Erasmo.

Why would we do that when we got an even better pitcher for free in Noesi?

At any rate, if he does, there BETTER be a plan for 2015 that doesn't involve Davidson striking out 150 times at DH/3B and bringing back DeAza for LF...because we're going to suck if we only have Abreu (and maybe Davidson) as the only hitter/s on the team capable of hitting more than 15 homers.

Davidson's stat line would likely look quite similar to Mike Olt's at 3B.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 10:18 AM)
Why? Don't you want to aim higher than that?

Ask for SS Chris Taylor and C Tyler Marlette.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/p...id=taylor004chr

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/p...id=marlet000tyl

If they trade Viciedo to the Mariners, expect at least 1 pitcher back.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 10:22 AM)
I guess I'd be okay with a catcher AND a pitcher, but I'm still not going to be particularly happy if Beckham and DeAza are both still around next year because we couldn't find someone who would take them off our hands.

No way Beckham is on the team next year, not with Johnson Semien and Sanchez ready for the show soon.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 09:21 AM)
If the Red sox want Viciedo, would they be interested Conor Gillaspie as well? He looks like a natural hitter for Fenway.

They'd have to move Bogaerts back to SS and forget about Drew.

And also give up on Middlebrooks, pretty much....because Napoli's at 1B/DH, along with Ortiz. Or stick him in the OF, which is easier said than done (as we learned with Josh Fields/Mark Teahen).

Dayan Viciedo, LF, White Sox

The Mariners have already been linked to Viciedo twice this spring. They scouted him this spring when they saw how left-handed heavy their roster looked. They weren’t impressed with Viciedo’s swing-first, swing-often approach and were really scared off by his outfield defense, which could be compared to Raul Ibanez. Viciedo does has a strong arm, but fly balls are an adventure. Could he improve? Sure he’s only 25 and outfield defense can improved to at least respectable if a player is willing. He’s hitting .250 with 10 homers and 31 RBI with a .303 OBP and .420 slugging percentage.

His splits are relatively drastic …(LHP vs. RHP)

Screen Shot 2014-07-07 at 1.58.50 PM

If you noticed on Saturday, he was pinch hit for against a righty reliever (damn you, Ventura!!!). But the Mariners need a guy who can hit lefties.

Contract: 1 years/$2.8M (2014) re-signed by Chicago White Sox 1/13/14 (avoided arbitration). He’d be second year arbitration eligible so it it could bump to 4ish next year.

Skinny: At just 25 and being relatively (cheap I'm assuming is the missing word), the White Sox may just keep him. There is some potential and he fits their “park.” It seems likely Adam Dunn will be gone next year, so he could slide into the DH spot. The White Sox need relief help. The Mariners have a lot of hard throwing relievers. It could be a match.

Other names being thrown around are Josh Willingham, Alex Rios, Matt Kemp, Carl Crawford, Andre Ethier, Stanton, Tulo, Marlon Byrd (he'd be worth a look for the White Sox, even though he's a veteran),

A few things …

1. The Mariners are interested in any player that might possibly help them, doesn’t matter right or left handed, pitcher or player. And if you look their current roster, there are plenty of players on “the trade market” who are better than what Lloyd McClendon is forced to put out there on a daily basis.

2. Very rarely will any rumblings or rumors come from the Mariners. They are one of the most secretive organizations in baseball. GM Jack Zduriencik is quite adamant about this privacy. Not a good idea for a person’s employment status to be leaking stuff to the media. Much of this national stuff comes from opposing scouts and executives or agents.

3. The value of the Mariners prospects probably aren’t as high as you think. Right now, the two best prospects the Mariners have are Taijuan Walker and DJ Peterson. Prospects at lower levels just don’t move the trade meter, unless they are phenoms. The Mariners don’t have that. Edwin Diaz, Luiz Gohara, Gabby Guerrero are all good players and prospects, but they aren’t centerpieces.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/mariners/201...handed-hitters/

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 09:59 AM)
Wrong.

You should write a correction request to the Seattle Times, then.

Although I think informing Heyman that Danks had a shoulder/rotator cuff surgery and not TJ would be a more worthwhile use of time.

Edited by caulfield12

I'm intrigued by both Ackley and Franklin. Both have raked in the minors but haven't gotten over that hump in the majors. They both have good BB rates, would be upgrades defensively and would cost less.

How about De Aza and Viciedo for Ackley and Franklin? Then ship Beckham to Yankees for Murphy. You could use our infield surplus to try and get a catcher or pitching.

QUOTE (striker @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 10:11 AM)
I'm intrigued by both Ackley and Franklin. Both have raked in the minors but haven't gotten over that hump in the majors. They both have good BB rates, would be upgrades defensively and would cost less.

How about De Aza and Viciedo for Ackley and Franklin? Then ship Beckham to Yankees for Murphy. You could use our infield surplus to try and get a catcher or pitching.

Where are you going to play Franklin, with this trade? You're dealing Ramirez as well? Ackley's a natural 2B, but he has been playing LF for the Mariners. Do you honestly want someone who hits like Gordon Beckham playing a corner OF spot? YIKES.

Franklin would be fine if he could play SS everyday, but he's probably better suited for 2B or 3B. We have five million 2B prospects, so this whole thing doesn't make much sense. He's kind of like Dan Uggla-Lite.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 11:16 AM)
Where are you going to play Franklin, with this trade? You're dealing Ramirez as well? Ackley's a natural 2B, but he has been playing LF for the Mariners. Do you honestly want someone who hits like Gordon Beckham playing a corner OF spot? YIKES.

Franklin would be fine if he could play SS everyday, but he's probably better suited for 2B or 3B. We have five million 2B prospects, so this whole thing doesn't make much sense. He's kind of like Dan Uggla-Lite.

I agree Caufield. Ackley and Franklin do not fit on this team. Its pitching prospects, outfielders or catchers.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 11:01 AM)
You should write a correction request to the Seattle Times, then.

Although I think informing Heyman that Danks had a shoulder/rotator cuff surgery and not TJ would be a more worthwhile use of time.

Really? They put damn you Ventura in their story? Tank was lifted for a pinch runner.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 12:16 PM)

I could be misinterpreting this data, but this is the justification

Ackley LF 14.4 UZR/150, Projection: 1.5WAR, 10% BB rate. His offensive WAR projections are close to De Aza and Viciedo.

Franklin 2B 53 UZR/150, Projection: 3WAR, 12% BB rate

De Aza LF .4 UZR/150, Projection: 2-2.5 WAR 8% BB rate

Viciedo RF -13.3 UZR/150, Projection: .5 WAR 6% BB rate

Beckham 2B -10.6 UZR/150, Projection: 1 WAR 8% BB rate

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 12:16 PM)

We do have a ton of infield prospects, so you'd have to rely on your scouts to help you determine who you'd rather have at 2B. Use some of those prospects to acquire pitching or catching.

QUOTE (striker @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 11:11 AM)

How about De Aza and Viciedo for Ackley and Franklin? You could use our infield surplus to try and get a catcher or pitching.

What's intriguing about Ackley - he can't hit a lick. He walks a little, but his obp and ops are horrid. Franklin's not a top defender. Don't see much upside with Ackley at all; maybe with Franklin if he can start hitting. Prefer Maurer (upside, but he's not enough).

QUOTE (striker @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 11:11 AM)
Then ship Beckham to Yankees for Murphy.

In our dreams. He's definitely the Yankee catcher prospect I'd want.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (striker @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 11:42 AM)
I could be misinterpreting this data, but this is the justification

Ackley LF 14.4 UZR/150, Projection: 1.5WAR, 10% BB rate. His offensive WAR projections are close to De Aza and Viciedo.

Franklin 2B 53 UZR/150, Projection: 3WAR, 12% BB rate

De Aza LF .4 UZR/150, Projection: 2-2.5 WAR 8% BB rate

Viciedo RF -13.3 UZR/150, Projection: .5 WAR 6% BB rate

Beckham 2B -10.6 UZR/150, Projection: 1 WAR 8% BB rate

It's pretty hard to project WAR like that, and beyond that, you want to see what these players are at their ceilings, not what they're at now. That 0.5 WAR is probably Viciedo's floor, while you can expect 1-2 WAR out of him, but out of all of these players, I think he probably has the highest ceiling.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 11:50 AM)
What's intriguing about Ackley - he can't hit a lick. He walks a little, but his obp and ops are horrid. Franklin's not a top defender. Don't see much upside with Ackley at all; maybe with Franklin if he can start hitting. Prefer Maurer (upside, but he's not enough).

In our dreams. He's definitely the Yankee catcher prospect I'd want.

Seattle is perhaps the worst park for hitters in baseball. Guys like Ackley may have a bat that will better fit in at USCF than at SafeCo. I would certainly take a flier on him as a throw in on a deal. Trading Viciedo for a RP is just dumb when that is really the only thing that our farm system develops consistently.